The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canuckaholics Anonymous

Shift-4

Good morning everyone

I'm Shift-4 (still not my real name)

I am a Canuckaholic.

My Canuckaholism took a crazy turn on August 11, 2006. I became a member of an organization in which I hoped to meet other Canuckaholics. And I found many.

Unfortunately this organization also lets a bunch of crazies in. Some members only want to whine. Some members only want to say the sky is falling. Some members only want to ridicule. They are not Canuckaholics. I recommend fellow Canuckaholics minimize eye contact with these individuals and at all costs do not share beverages with them. You don't want to drink what they are drinking.

I am Shift-4 and I am a Canuckaholic.

GO CANUCKS GO!!!!!!!

This thread is dedicated to those of us that really bleed blue and green(and once upon a time red, yellow and black :lol: ).

We are about to go on another roller coaster ride.

I thought we might need a place to share our stories. Vent some stress. Share elation.

This thread isn't about getting facts right or arguing over coaching decisions. It is about your experience as a Canuck fan. :)

I will go first ::D

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello everybody.

My name is Shift-4 (not real name)

And I am a Canuckaholic

It started at a very young age. Circa 1980. The Canucks were the ‘home’ team. They were the little team that could. Well actually they couldn’t. They kept losing to those Blues – the power of the division at the time.

Then the divisions were reformatted. They were placed with a new team from Edmonton who had some scrawny kid that was playing lights out. Calgary was also in the division, they seemed to be able to compete with Edmonton. The Canucks not so much.

In 1982 that little team that could actually did. They made it to the Stanley Cup finals. But waiting for them in the finals was one of the greatest teams of all time. The hated NY Islanders quickly disposed of the Canucks in 4 games.

It was a defining time for my Canuckaholism. As a young lad I got to stay up past my bedtime to watch all the games. You were the cool kid if you got to share the score at show and tell the next day in school. I was often the cool kid B)

Those hated Islanders also defined Canuckaholism – it isn’t going to be easy being a Canuckaholic they told me.

The 80s rolled on. The Stanley Cup visited Alberta 6 times (6th being in 1990). In 1989 The Cup only visited Calgary because of one goal post and a kicked in goal vs the good guys. It was a tough time to be a Canuckaholic. But we had this young kid from Medicine Hat join the team. A real heart and soul kid. He almost won the Calder. Almost. Almost is a good term for Canuckaholics.

In the early 90s things improved. We had a no nonsense tough Irish Coach and a flashy high scoring forward from Russia. The Canucks finished first in the division two years in a row. Things were looking up. This was a young team with promise. Maybe it ain’t so bad being a Canuckaholic I thought.

Then 1994 came. After a disappointing regular season the Canucks got on a roll. They were a machine. After staving off elimination in successive games against the Flames they went on to beat Dallas quite handly. And then we got to beat the ever hated Leafs of Toronto. This team looked really good. In the finals we faced a tough, experienced team from New York. The Rangers this time. But it wasn’t a sweep because the Canucks were much better this time. Game 6 might still be one of the most exciting games in Canucks history. We lost in game 7. We almost won. Almost.

In the late 90s we had a former all-star join the team. Someone who had won six Stanley Cups. He was going to lead this team to the promised land. Turned out to be a mess. It was my darkest time as a Canuckaholic. I had a lot of respect and admiration for this player until he came to the Canucks. At least there were no almosts during this time. :lol:

The Canucks struggled on. Canuckaholism remained strong with me.

Things looked up when we had a shifty Swedish forward leading us. One year he almost won the Rocket Richard trophy, the Hart trophy and the Art Ross trophy in the same year. Almost.

The following season that Swedish forward received a cheap head shot mid season. He was never the same. His good friend searched out retribution for that hit. Vengeance did not serve the Canucks well. Another dark time for my Canuckaholicism.

The team toiled on. They were bad. And then they got good again. Really good.

We had back to back Art Ross winners. The first winning the Hart as well. The second was a runner up for the Hart. A couple of skinny twins from Sweden. And we had this brash centre from the US win the Selke. In fact, just last year the Canucks won the President’s trophy. This team led the league in goals for and had the lowest goals against. It was a fantastic season and a great time to be a Canuckaholic.

They went on to the Stanley Cup finals only to lose in game 7. They almost won it all. Almost.

And again they have won another President’s Trophy. This time a little more quietly. But I like that. It is easier to be a Canuckaholic with less attention.

But Cancuckaholics still get attention. We aren’t liked in Calgary or Toronto or Boston or Chicago. But I don’t really care.

It’s been a tough road being a Canuckaholic. We get abused outside of our circle. We are hated. But I don’t care.

I love my team.

After last year I have no expectations for them. That doesn’t mean I expect them to fail. It just means I am here for the ride no matter where they take me. They did everything but win the Cup last year. Only one thing left now. There can be no bigger disappointment than last year. It was the ultimate ‘almost’.

So this year I just expect to go on another great ride. There will be ups and downs. Thrills and times to be concerned. But no matter what I will cheer them on like I always have.

I am Shift-4

And I am a Canuckaholic!!!

GO CANUCKS GO!!!!!!!!!

:towel::canucks::towel:

Great post. Good to lighten the mood. I empathise with most of what you are saying.

Hey, I'm wtpasc, I too am a Canuckaholic.

It all started for me in 1994, I was 11 and my Dad told me that if the Canucks win this game, we will fire off the fireworks he has been saving in his toolbox. So with much anticipation, I watched game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals. I found myself watching a hockey game; something that had never really interested me. The game ended in disappointment, my Dad said, don't worry, we'll light the fireworks anyways, I know you were looking forward to it. So, I sat in the backyard, and watched some fireworks, however it didn't feel right, something was wrong, I mean, I love fireworks, why wasn't I happy? I was born-again that night, a Canucks fan for life.

It all started for me in 1994, I was 11 and my Dad told me that if the Canucks win this game, we will fire off the fireworks he has been saving in his toolbox. So with much anticipation, I watched game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals. I found myself watching a hockey game; something that had never really interested me. The game ended in disappointment, my Dad said, don't worry, we'll light the fireworks anyways, I know you were looking forward to it. So, I sat in the backyard, and watched some fireworks, however it didn't feel right, something was wrong, I mean, I love fireworks, why wasn't I happy? I was born-again that night, a Canucks fan for life.

Very cool!

Dude, I almost cried.

Canuckaholic here

GO CANUCKS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :towel: :towel: :canucks: :canucks:

anyone that takes the time to change the colour of every second character in the line they write is definitely a Canuckaholic!!!

I learned a lot about myself that night.

:) indeed

I'm a Canuck-aholic. I have been for 18 years. I hate them, but I love them.

I'll never stop.

They could miss the playoffs 10 years in a row.

I'll never stop.

There's only 1 cure for what ails me and it's big, silver and weighs about 40 lbs.

I really hope we get games 3 and 4, and bring this back home! Because I dont want our good players to be leaving or traded during the off season. I dont want the Twins, Kes, Burr, Higgy, Salo, Hammer, Eddy, KB3, Lappy, Hansen, Lu or Schneids to leave this team. I know we can come back, Boston came back when they lost first 2 to MTL, I know we can. I belive they will. The Canucks are a strong group, and WE CANT let an 8th place team struck us and make us look bad.

DO YOU GUYS BELIEVE WE CAN COME BACK AND BRING IT BACK TO VANCOUVER?!

Archived