Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Sending "the Message"

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#1 Hectic

Hectic

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:56 PM

When Henrik Sedin got hit by Dustin Brown, which in my opinion was a perfectly clean hit, the common response from an abundance of analysts, CDC members, and many other fans was that we didn't come up with a response and send a message to the other team to not mess with our star player and our captain. Now, I'm all for playing a physical game within the rules as well as making it clear that the other team shouldn't be messing with your best players. However, when we're down 2-0 in a series, what sense is there in responding and sending a "message" to the other team? I really don't understand why people are so worked up about how we're not a tough enough team because we don't do stupid things after the whistle.

If we could score on our powerplays then my arguement would be a bit more valid, yes I understand that, but at the same time ESPECIALLY since we need to score goals and win games, trying to send a message to the other team not to mess with our players isn't the best thing to do in my opinion. Why not refer to the game in Philadelphia when Schenn hit one of their guys (not sure who it was), and Asham comes out of nowhere and cross checks him in the throat and gets suspended for 4 games.. is that the type of response we want? I'm a fan of the Canucks not only because they're the home town team, but also because of the way they play, and how compared to most other teams they're relatively classy. Anyways that's just my take on things.

#2 DutchieBang

DutchieBang

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:00 PM

So you're saying they shouldn't go and get all hectic on us..? I agree
Posted Image

#3 Ace_of_Spades

Ace_of_Spades

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:05 PM

What type of thread is this?????? you made it sound like you had some great plan for sending the message to L.A. not to F*($ with us! :picard:

#4 Guest_BuckFoston_*

Guest_BuckFoston_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:05 PM

The Brown incident is just one of many. Ok, suppose it's a clean hit and they didn't send a message this time. What about all the OTHER times? They had no answer for Boston so much so that even Thomas decided he could get away with hitting the twins and trash talking Keith really didn't do anything.

Asham looked like a fool and so did every other Penguin that day. Flyers aren't intimidated by anyone. Good for them.

Even after the whole Weber ordeal Babcock said they are not built to fight and send messages, but Bert took it upon himself to scrum with Shea anyway. All we get is Lapierre, Kesler, and Kassian yapping at opponents through the glass. Not only do they not walk the walk, they can't even talk the talk.

#5 Tystick

Tystick

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:06 PM

I agree completely. Personally, I don't even get why people say they didn't send a message. Bieksa and Burrows both stood up for Henrik, and Bieksa threw a nasty hip check into Brown later. So I feel the message was sent.

People just want them to hurt the players that initiated it, but what they don't realize at first is consequences are severe in the playoffs, suspensions are to be avoided at all costs, so players aren't exactly going to go beat the crap out of say Brown, because he hit Henrik.
Posted Image

#6 Easton76

Easton76

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:07 PM

If we were leading 2-0, I'm pretty sure Bieksa would have thrown some punches instead of just giving him a hug.

But we weren't leading 2-0, we were down 2-0 in the series at that point we couldn't afford to take a penalty.

Shanahan went soft on Keith.

Keith is a pretty ugly dude after all....

#7 Pink Sock

Pink Sock

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:07 PM

Pick and choose your battles. I for one, think this one should have been addressed.

#8 aca11

aca11

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:11 PM

how about we just win the game instead, and deal other issues later

#9 Hectic

Hectic

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:12 PM

I agree completely. Personally, I don't even get why people say they didn't send a message. Bieksa and Burrows both stood up for Henrik, and Bieksa threw a nasty hip check into Brown later. So I feel the message was sent.

People just want them to hurt the players that initiated it, but what they don't realize at first is consequences are severe in the playoffs, suspensions are to be avoided at all costs, so players aren't exactly going to go beat the crap out of say Brown, because he hit Henrik.

Exactly.. with the hip check Bieksa effectively hit Brown in a clean way without taking a penalty, which is the way these things should be addressed. If we were to be stupid and go after Brown after the whistle and take penalties, he would continue to go after our star players. However, if we had his number and hit him clean, I'm not sure he would feel as much of a need.

#10 Walkin'2929

Walkin'2929

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:25 PM

I wholeheartedly agree. The Canucks woes are defensive lapses and a scoring dry patch that came at exactly the wrong time, coupled with other issues that we could analyze to death. I don't see lack of team toughness as an issue. Bieksa and Lapierre for sure have been sending the message.
However slim the chances may be, let's cross our fingers for a 4-0 turnaround. But, support our guys whatever may be.

#11 nux4lyfe

nux4lyfe

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,969 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:36 PM

Apparently the Nucks are the only dirty team..

Edited by nux4lyfe, 17 April 2012 - 11:37 PM.

13zpnd4.jpg

Thank You Twilight Sparkle for the dope sig!

#12 Serendipity

Serendipity

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:36 PM

There's a time and a place for "sending a message".

When I saw Henrik get levelled and then struggle to get up afterwards, I was hoping someone would rip Brown's head off immediately. I mean, this is your Captain and one of your best players - do something.

But then I thought about the situation. It was 0-0 and we were already down 0-2 in the series. If we retaliated and ended up getting the only penalty, we as fans would probably be angry about that too. When Torres ran over Hossa today, Bollig went and defended him and ending up getting a penalty and a 10 minute misconduct. If that happened to Bieksa or Burrows - I would be pretty upset.

It's kind of an iffy situtation in my opinion.

As for sending a message in tomorrow's game, here's what Brown had to say on being a marked man: "..I think they understand if they're running after me, it's probably not going to help them."

#13 almo89

almo89

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,282 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:44 PM

I don't know why in today's NHL that anytime a clean hit happens, the other team wants to fight. If it's a clean hit, you have to suck it up. The way to send the message is to score on powerplays. This will make the other team think twice about being overly physical and stepping over the edge.

#14 Hotdawg

Hotdawg

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:45 PM

To me it was a late hit, as Henrik clearly didn't have the puck, and Brownieboy should have been penalized.

#15 DaMacNamedDre

DaMacNamedDre

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:20 AM

When Henrik Sedin got hit by Dustin Brown, which in my opinion was a perfectly clean hit, the common response from an abundance of analysts, CDC members, and many other fans was that we didn't come up with a response and send a message to the other team to not mess with our star player and our captain. Now, I'm all for playing a physical game within the rules as well as making it clear that the other team shouldn't be messing with your best players. However, when we're down 2-0 in a series, what sense is there in responding and sending a "message" to the other team? I really don't understand why people are so worked up about how we're not a tough enough team because we don't do stupid things after the whistle. If we could score on our powerplays then my arguement would be a bit more valid, yes I understand that, but at the same time ESPECIALLY since we need to score goals and win games, trying to send a message to the other team not to mess with our players isn't the best thing to do in my opinion. Why not refer to the game in Philadelphia when Schenn hit one of their guys (not sure who it was), and Asham comes out of nowhere and cross checks him in the throat and gets suspended for 4 games.. is that the type of response we want? I'm a fan of the Canucks not only because they're the home town team, but also because of the way they play, and how compared to most other teams they're relatively classy. Anyways that's just my take on things.

How about a little Kumbaya ?

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Posted ImageBodee, on 18 April 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

I haven't been a supporter of the Canucks for long. Mainly because firstly I know nothing about NHL and secondly ESPN America only started showing NHL 3 years ago.

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/328055-whats-wrong-with-me
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#16 DaMacNamedDre

DaMacNamedDre

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:21 AM

I don't know why in today's NHL that anytime a clean hit happens, the other team wants to fight. If it's a clean hit, you have to suck it up. The way to send the message is to score on powerplays. This will make the other team think twice about being overly physical and stepping over the edge.

were -3 on the PP and Dustin Brown has outscored our entire team after smashing our star.

We got this in 7.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Posted ImageBodee, on 18 April 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

I haven't been a supporter of the Canucks for long. Mainly because firstly I know nothing about NHL and secondly ESPN America only started showing NHL 3 years ago.

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/328055-whats-wrong-with-me
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#17 spentral

spentral

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:46 AM

late hit imo. a penalty play, but not a mis-conduct or suspension by any means. i agree it was handled correctly though, especially considering our personal. if anyone tried to fight brown, he wouldnt have answered the bell anyway. best just to get him back legally, a hockey play, like bieksa did... just maybe seventeen more times hehe. henrik getting back up and returning to the ice though, is the toughest retaliation (not to mention possibly the most intimidating) available.

#18 Taylorskings

Taylorskings

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:58 AM

are u fricking kidding? good luck with that, do you need directions back to broke back mountain?

ps brown delivers some of the hardest, clean hits, deal with it crybabies. unlike your cheap shot bitz and company trying to run guys, brown will hit you clean and square off with you if he has too. burrows and all your visor wearing tuff guys can suck it,

#19 Hectic

Hectic

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:45 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyXkJW3jo2k

are u fricking kidding? good luck with that, do you need directions back to broke back mountain?

ps brown delivers some of the hardest, clean hits, deal with it crybabies. unlike your cheap shot bitz and company trying to run guys, brown will hit you clean and square off with you if he has too. burrows and all your visor wearing tuff guys can suck it,

Never been to broke back mountain, you have? How is it up there?

"visor wearing tuff guys?" Many of the players on the LA Kings do in fact wear visors. If we're gonna bring that up, then I think your goalie is soft for wearing a face shield on his mask.

#20 DW23

DW23

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:00 AM

I agree with the OP completely

somehow I always wish for a Asham/Schenn hit but as soon as the hit happens I realize how stupid and unnecessary it was.

I'm actually proud and surprised that the Canucks players contain their anger and are focused on the game. we need clean hits, not injuries and suspensions. I'd feel ashamed of my team if players ran around like Neal

sig courtesy of luongorox

#21 clutchburr

clutchburr

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:00 AM

It's funny how you think we're all riled about about the legitimacy of that hit...even our captain acknowledged that it was a clean hit. We're talking about the response to that hit because we have experienced being manhandled by a team (the Bruins, much more intimidating than the Kings, btw) and not doing anything about it.

This post-season seems to be the most regulated playoffs in recent memory (in terms of suspensions and penalties). Our response to Brown was acceptable, except I would have preferred someone (Bieksa) to challenge Brown to a fight instead. I always thought that was the best way to "send a message".

#22 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:24 AM

People who want our guys to fight when we are 2-0/3-0 down in the series are, I'm afraid, selfish. We need to keep everyone on the ice to have a chance to win. It is clear that we are not going to win these games short handed.
That said I have no problem meating out appropriate punishment if we are 3-0 up or 3-0 down in the score in these games. In that event nobody gets a free ride. :)

Edited by Bodee, 18 April 2012 - 03:25 AM.

Kevin.jpg

#23 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,207 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:29 AM

How can you say we didnt send a message? Bieksa hip-checked Brown to the ice, Burrows fought Kopitar and the Canucks were head-hunting Brown all game long, even just before he scored he took a nasty hit by our guys.

The Canucks responded perfectly in the physical aspect but let down Henrik on the scoreboard. Hank is the only one producing offence right now and he's fighting a losing battle all by himself - guys like Kesler, Burrows and our other "stars" need to show as much hunger as Henrik is.
Posted Image

#24 Burnsey

Burnsey

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:50 AM

i just want to point out that we were trying to send this exact message in game 1....look what happened. After every whistle in game 1 we were going after their players and getting into scrums, and we lost because of the terrible penalties and special teams we had.

The team has to play the way they know how and the way that works for them which was/is whistle to whistle. All you 'fans' who think otherwise have to realise that the team played whistle to whistle last spring until the finals which is when we collapsed. coincidence? Whistle to whistle is our game, and lets focus on that. Play our game and we'll be fine....

team-canada-jarome-iginla-photo.jpg

#25 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,300 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:23 AM

are u fricking kidding?  good luck with that, do you need directions back to broke back mountain?

ps brown delivers some of the hardest, clean hits, deal with it crybabies.  unlike your cheap shot bitz and company trying to run guys, brown will hit you clean and square off with you if he has too.  burrows and all your visor wearing tuff guys can suck it,

Does biggotry run in your family or is it an aquired taste?

#26 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,298 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:12 AM

Pick and choose your battles. I for one, think this one should have been addressed.

Disagree. With the team tied 0-0 and down two games, you have to be concerned about winning, not "getting revenge" for what was actually a legal hit.

The time to make Brown pay is next season. Right now, the team needs to worry about winning hockey games.

@Taylorskings: It's okay for fans of the opposition to come around and talk hockey. It's even okay to trash talk a bit, especially if your team is winning, but posts like your "brokeback" one are going to get you banned pretty quick.

Edited by RUPERTKBD, 18 April 2012 - 07:13 AM.

Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#27 Hectic

Hectic

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:44 PM

How can you say we didnt send a message? Bieksa hip-checked Brown to the ice, Burrows fought Kopitar and the Canucks were head-hunting Brown all game long, even just before he scored he took a nasty hit by our guys.

The Canucks responded perfectly in the physical aspect but let down Henrik on the scoreboard. Hank is the only one producing offence right now and he's fighting a losing battle all by himself - guys like Kesler, Burrows and our other "stars" need to show as much hunger as Henrik is.

Hey I think they sent enough of a message that could have been sent given the circumstance, it's people who want them to go crazy and fight everyone (exhibit a: the penguins) that make me think that they don't in fact have a clue what they're saying. Glad to see people agree with me, and that there are fans out there who aren't just fans of the Canucks because everyone else is.

#28 magoomba

magoomba

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:16 PM

The right message to send would be an equally clean and devastating hit on an LA King player such as Kopitar, Williams, Doughty, Carter, Richards etc.
To go and face wash, cross check, or fist fight with the opposition would just get us in a bigger hole.
Yes, it would definitely help immensely if we can generate something on the PP!

#29 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,551 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:18 PM

I agree, for the circumstance it was a good response. When the score is 0-0, you can't afford to take stupid penalties. The Canucks got his number and got a few good hits on him later on. Even if we challened Brown, I doubt he would have agreed to fight since he is a key player on the team and it was a close game.

#30 DooBie604

DooBie604

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:19 PM

I often find it amusing that someone would go through all the effort to go to a different teams account and register and then post all in the name of hate with nothing positive or noteworthy on their post. I can understand if they join to have an intelligent conversation but to just go and spew insults with no relation to the topic, how sad must someones life be to go do this as a means of self satisfaction hiding behind a computer. I mean I barely have time to post on my own boards yet someone has all this time to go purposely spread hate and insults?

On top of that, they display a definite lack of knowledge for the team they are playing against. Since when is Burrows a tough guy? He's an agitator. And a lot the Kings wear visors (Kopitar, wears a pretty pimpin visor) as with the rest of the NHL trending this way because of pucks in the face.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.