The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyson Nash Receives Death Threats

http://espn.go.com/c...arian-hossa-hit

CHICAGO -- Former NHL player and current Phoenix Coyotes broadcaster Tyson Nash says he's received death threats after saying a questionable hit by Coyotes forward Raffi Torres on Chicago Blackhawks winger Marian Hossa was "as clean of a hit as you're going to get."

Although no penalty was called on the play, which took place at 11:51 in the first period of Tuesday's Game 3 in their opening-playoff series, Torres reportedly is facing an NHL hearing for the hit, according to the Chicago Tribune.

Hossa was immobilized and taken off the ice on a stretcher. He was released from the hospital Tuesday night.

"You have to love the Twitter world," Nash told "The Waddle and Silvy Show" Wednesday morning on ESPN 1000. "I had a few people mentioning they'll be meeting me for breakfast, so we'll see how that goes."

The Coyotes won 3-2 in overtime, and lead the series 2-1. Game 4 is Thursday night in Chicago.

Nash said he told Coyotes personnel about the threats.

"I mentioned it to our guy," Nash said. "It's fine, it's fine. It is what it is."

Nash said that as the fourth broadcast entity for Game 3 Tuesday at United Center, he didn't get a chance to see a good replay until Blackhawks announcer Eddie Olczyk brought him into the home television booth and showed him. Olczyk confirmed the exchange.

"I wish I didn't say what I said," Nash said. "You have to pick more of a middle ground. When you see Hossa lying there longer and longer, you say, 'Oh jeez, let's really take a closer look at this.' I thought he was going to get right back up. Obviously that wasn't the case."

Originally, Nash said he didn't "have a problem with this (the hit)," but admitted Torres' feet left the ice and his left shoulder hit Hossa's jaw.

But still, there was no rioting inside Rogers Arena. Canucks Sports & Entertainment do more than enough to provide adequate security for their events to ensure the safety of the fans, the teams, and the employees of the arena. There's no excuse for letting something like that happen. There's reports from Canucks games about over the top heckling and the odd punch being thrown but nothing compared to some of the stories coming out of places like Boston, LA, or Chicago. Our fans whine, complain, and cry more than most fan bases, but where would you rather be right now, a Coyotes fan in Chicago or a Blackhawks fan in Phoenix.

I'll give you that one ;) But for the large part everything was quite contained. And can you really blame the fans? With the price of Game 7 finals tickets being what they were, most people I know would be throwing things too :lol:

Archived