The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Picking A Direction

komodo1970

I've been reading a lot of posts about what fans feel the Canucks need the most. I believe that the team needs to go back to the most basic need. Picking a direction. By picking a direction, I mean ; Do they go for more of a defensive minded look that relies more on boxing out players and keeping the front of the net clear and relying on opposition mistakes for offense? Or, do they go for the all forward offense, leaving the goalie open to more odd man rushes and quality scoring chances? In making a decision on this, I believe our goaltender moving forward can be decided.

There is no doubting that we possess two great goaltenders. The problem lies in the team thats put in front of them.

Roberto Luongo is a great first shot save goaltender who gives up few rebounds. His experience is also a plus. His positional play, however leaves something to be desired. He is prone to weak goals, most notably from behind the net. His side to side movement is slower and he often seems to give up on long, cross ice passes in front of the net. If Lou is our goaltender moving forward, I think defense should be the strategy and should be seeking defensemen that fill this need. Big defenders who concentrate more on our end than constantly jumping up in the play. They'll need to limit cross ice passes and allow Lou to concentrate on the shooter. These defensemen should also have a great pass out of our zone, leaving little chance to be intercepted, sometimes just choosing the boards instead of the long stretch passes. This should translate to fewer goals and more assists from defensemen as well as a higher save percentage out of our goaltending. It also means a lot of low scoring and, at times, down right boring games. We should be winning a lot of 2-1 and 3-2 games. If this route were chosen there would be a lot of changes to our team.

The Sedins, last year were +23 and +14 respectively. This is misleading, however, as most of there offense came from the powerplay. In the playoffs, however, they were 0s in the plus minus department. In fact the highest score in this department was Zach Kassian with +1. This shows a lack of defensive commitment. With Lou in net, defense should be priority. A lot less pinching and more backing off. The biggest problem that would be faced is changing the teams focus and mind set. Disipline would be paramount.

In Cory Schneider we get a young, athletic goaltender. He has great lateral movement and is positionally solid. He never gives up on the play. He is primed to be on a more offensive, high octane team. He can make big saves. The problem is; can he do it for 60 to 70 games plus playoffs? He's shown it for 30 but asking him to do it for 3/4 of a season could be a tall order. Right now, it seems the team is more prepared for this type of game and would require less of a change. A player like Chris Tanev would become more expendable in favor of a bigger more offensively minded defenseman. With more emphasis being placed on scoring goals, the workload increases for Schneider. As I said, it's a tall order, however I think Cory is ready. In 22 fewer games than Lou, his save percentage (.937) and GAA (1.96) were dynamite. In the playoffs he played 3 games, allowing 4 goals. His save percentage was .960 and he had a 1.31 GAA. He just out performed Lou. Unfortunately the team was unable to produce much offense and was eliminated. But if Schneids can be counted on, then Vancouver's offseason efforts should be spent trying to find that high point producer to put with Kesler (Zach Parise?). The key is in finding someone that can find chemistry with him.

Which ever way it goes, the team has to perform consistently and be able to raise the bar in the playoffs. Average won't get it done. They have to commit to a system and play that system 110% every night.

We can't go one direction. We have to be able to put the most balanced lineup possible. We need a team that can adjust to whatever style opponent is brought upon us. Skill, size, speed, toughness, offensive players, defensive players, two-way players, etc.

Well good points but the real thing that has to addressed is a couple of big mean players that will not let any elbows or fingers lodged in the sedins face, This team is all about the sedins and goal tending enough smurfs, play the game MG and the game is give those two talented gentlemen room and if some one wants to hurt or try to itimidate then right back at ya, if they happen to get suspended so be it they will be back,enough of this team toughness BS because there not, law of the jungle ,now i understand the red wings game but when you have two players that refuse to go any were near that physical route then even the playing feild.

During our run to the cup, this team had an identity. No BS between whistles, and took care of business in play. This year we got away from that, we got too caught up in the "mental" game. We need to gain back the identity we had in 2011.

Also for those saying to keep AV: Yes he is the winningess coach in franchise history etc. But he has also been coaching this same group of core players for like 7 years? Players start to tune coaches out over time. That sort of shake up may be exactly what this team needs to wake up and play to their full potential during the postseason.

Im not saying AV is a bad coach, I just think his time is up. He has had his chance. There is a reason that coaches often never coach teams for extended amounts of time. I believe barry trotz is the only coach in the league that has been with his team for over ten years. Before him (i may be wrong) i believe the last one to accomplish that was Scotty Bowman (one of the best coaches in history)

OK let me get this straight arguably the best coach in Canucks history and you think he needs to go???? I am tired of hearing that AV needs to go... he has helped this club to the most success in its modern history. How many Presidents trophies? Art Ross winners? Selky winners? Come on get serious the Cup is within our reach for possibly the third season in a row and you want to let our coach go.....give me a break......

NUFF SAID

i will be extremely disappointed if gillis doesn't extend AV's contract....but that is just my opinion....i have to admit, i've never managed, coached or played in the nhl, so all i can offer is my opinion....i guess, we are all entitled to that....i'm going to leave the major decisions to the people that have that expertise.....in gillis, i trust.

AV is a good coach, not an all-star coach. He is good enough to coach the Canucks to a cup, but the team doesn't need that right now. They need something else, whatever that something else is, that's what they need. With that said though there's no way id fire AV without a decent replacement waiting. MacT could be a decent interim coach but i don't think he is what we want as a permanent replacement.

He's also had pretty much the most talented canucks team, and he's only made it past the 2nd round once in 6 years? With your logic he had 2 Art ross winners, a selky winner and 2 elite goalies and he still couldn't win a cup? He almost got eliminated for the 3rd time in the playoffs against the Hawks if it wasn't for Burrows.

Sorry, but, NUFF SAID

OK let me get this straight arguably the best coach in Canucks history and you think he needs to go???? I am tired of hearing that AV needs to go... he has helped this club to the most success in its modern history. How many Presidents trophies? Art Ross winners? Selky winners? Come on get serious the Cup is within our reach for possibly the third season in a row and you want to let our coach go.....give me a break......

NUFF SAID

Really everyone all this team needs to do is get hungry, develope a nevere say die attitude, and play the game! Never mind the off ice sh*t, Naked photos, smash mouthing the other team, whinning about poor reffing! Just go out and play the game! We all know how talented this team is, and I am sure they know what they are capable of, they just need to do it!

All of this crap about coaching and Luo this, and Luo that, AV this AV that, MG needs to trade this guy or that guy, is all crap! This by far, hands down the best Canucks team i have ever seen, but the worst for off ice garbage, which unfortunatley distracts the team.

I hope they come back next year motivated and driven to win with no reguard for off ice crap! If they can do that they will win for sure!

Just my thoughts

With great goaltending I don't see why the team can't go for it on offense. What I'd like to see more is offense driven by forwards. I see lots of teams where offense is driven by one or two guys so a) they have room to operate and B) three guys can go back on D.

The biggest key though is quick maintenance and adjustments by the coaching staff. If a guy is struggling, work with him. Exploit other teams' weaknesses and make sure you can counter their changes.

What I have rarely seen with Canucks teams is them being able to execute their vision of the team. What I mean is if they're an offensive team like the Marc Crawford coached Canucks, why are they getting outscored by a defensive team like the Wild? If they're a defensive team, why are they giving up prime scoring chances only have the goalie bail them out in 2007? If the Canucks are a speed team, why are they getting outhustled by Chicago? If they are a dominant favourite who plays the right way, why are they getting blown out by Chicago and Boston?

They should have a generic big picture strategy but then always, always be adjusting depending on their opponent and circumstances. They should strive to be great at all areas of the game, but in a realistic way, and then use the strategy that gives them the best chance to win, not necessarily the most comfortable way of doing things.

Maybe you should go back and reevaluate you thoughts. Coaching is not what cost us the cup. Total team effort is what cost us the cup. The mental ability to cope is what cost us the cup, not coaching. As to the Boohawks every team has a nemesis we as a club overcame with a hero type performance by BURR. You win as a team and you lose as a team. I don't see the posts that are calling for twins heads on a platter, oh wait a minute those were the posts a few years ago. This club is arguably the best in the past 4-5 years and will be for the next 5-7 years. The cup will come give it a chance instant gratification is for video games and great food not a franchise that is working to sustain years of success in the best sport in the world....

NUFF SAID ;)

Archived