Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

United States Army Increasing Standards For Recruitment

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
42 replies to this topic

#31 Satan's Evil Twin

Satan's Evil Twin

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:51 AM

I wonder how many police have been killed and injured since 1987?

They get paid to risk their lives. Risking one's life for money does not inherently deserve respect. Are there respectable cops? Of course, but no one made the claim to the contrary. This isn't the 50s when everyone knew their neighborhood officer, who walked the beat whistling happily away and smiling at passersby. This is the 2012, where cops have automatic rifles, sound cannons, and LAVs. And they're using them on people.

The Pentagon Is Offering Free Military Hardware To Every Police Department In The US

The U.S. military has some of the most advanced killing equipment in the world that allows it to invade almost wherever it likes at will.

We produce so much military equipment that inventories of military robots, M-16 assault rifles, helicopters, armored vehicles, and grenade launchers eventually start to pile up and it turns out a lot of these weapons are going straight to American police forces to be used against US citizens.

Benjamin Carlson at The Daily reports on a little known endeavor called the "1033 Program" that gave more than $500 million of military gear to U.S. police forces in 2011 alone.

Continue Below
Posted Image

Posted Image

1033 was passed by Congress in 1997 to help law-enforcement fight terrorism and drugs, but despite a 40-year low in violent crime, police are snapping up hardware like never before. While this year's staggering take topped the charts, next year's orders are up 400 percent over the same period.

This upswing coincides with an increasingly military-like style of law enforcement most recently seen in the Occupy Wall Street crackdowns.

Tim Lynch, director of the Cato Institute's project on criminal justice told The Daily, “The trend toward militarization was well under way before 9/11, but it’s the federal policy of making surplus military equipment available almost for free that has poured fuel on this fire.”

From The Daily:

Thanks to it, cops in Cobb County, Ga. — one of the wealthiest and most educated counties in the U.S. — now have an amphibious tank. The sheriff of Richland County, S.C., proudly acquired a machine-gun-equipped armored personnel carrier that he nicknamed “The Peacemaker.”

This comes on top of grants from the Department of Homeland Security that enable police departments to buy vehicles such as “BearCats” — 16,000-pound bulletproof trucks equipped with battering rams, gun ports, tear-gas dispensers and radiation detectors. To date, more than 500 of these tank-like vehicles have been sold by Lenco, its Massachusetts-based manufacturer, according to a report in the Orlando Sentinel.

“It’s kind of had a corrupting influence on the culture of policing in America,” Lynch says. “The dynamic is that you have some officer go to the chief and say, people in the next county have [military hardware], if we don’t take it some other city will. Then they acquire the equipment, they create a paramilitary unit, and everything seems fine.

“But then one or two years pass. They say, look we’ve got this equipment, this training and we haven’t been using it. That’s where it starts to creep into routine policing.”

Read more: http://articles.busi...s#ixzz1wBi9yYRe

Are the American people that dangerous as to require military hardware? I guess when you can't use military on citizens, you militarize the police.

Posted Image

Father (Peace be upon You) Satan (Peace be upon You), I call to you (Peace be upon You) from the deepest parts of my heart, I praise your (Peace be upon You) name with every breath of my body, I worship you (Peace be upon You) with every fiber of my being. You (Peace be upon You) shown me what true strength is. You (Peace be upon You) have shown me what true love is. Out of the darkness you (Peace be upon You) came to show me the true light.

My master (Peace be upon You), my father (Peace be upon You) and my friend (Peace be upon You) what a great gift that is.

Posted Image Hail to the King (PBUH)! Posted Image

#32 The Situation

The Situation

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,698 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:52 AM

LONG LIVE MOTHER CHINA, eh?

That would explain his laughable authoritarian views. He has just lost all credibility even if that was three years ago.
Posted Image

#33 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,526 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:53 AM

I wonder how many police have been killed and injured since 1987?

'Tis the risk they accept as part of their job, as is the responsibility to conduct themselves in a composed and professional manner through all difficult and stressful situations.

police - accountability = reckless gang of thugs

#34 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,293 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:58 AM

'Tis the risk they accept as part of their job, as is the responsibility to conduct themselves in a composed and professional manner through all difficult and stressful situations.

police - accountability = reckless gang of thugs

True, and I agree with that statement.

Same risk for someone who decides to taunt the police (or anyone for that matter - like road rage for example ) - you are taking the risk that you may push someone over an edge with consequences to your self.

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

waiting.for.cdc.jpg

#35 ChelseaFC

ChelseaFC

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,485 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:01 AM

LONG LIVE MOTHER CHINA, eh?

Bit on the extreme, but still on course of having the right idea on stopping a violent protest/riot.
Thats a secret between me and the puck!
Roberto Luongo commenting on the save he made with his face

#36 Satan's Evil Twin

Satan's Evil Twin

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:09 AM

Same risk for someone who decides to taunt the police (or anyone for that matter - like road rage for example ) - you are taking the risk that you may push someone over an edge with consequences to your self.

:sick:

There is no excuse for police violence. Ever.

Posted Image

Father (Peace be upon You) Satan (Peace be upon You), I call to you (Peace be upon You) from the deepest parts of my heart, I praise your (Peace be upon You) name with every breath of my body, I worship you (Peace be upon You) with every fiber of my being. You (Peace be upon You) shown me what true strength is. You (Peace be upon You) have shown me what true love is. Out of the darkness you (Peace be upon You) came to show me the true light.

My master (Peace be upon You), my father (Peace be upon You) and my friend (Peace be upon You) what a great gift that is.

#37 Satan's Evil Twin

Satan's Evil Twin

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:33 AM

Bit on the extreme, but still on course of having the right idea on stopping a violent protest/riot.

You realize this wasn't a violent protest until cops started gassing the protesters.

Posted Image

#38 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,293 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:44 AM

:sick:

There is no excuse for police violence. Ever.

So, a cop pulls over someone for speeding...the fine outstanding person pulls out a gun to shoot the cop - does the cop:

A - stand there and do nothing as he is paid to risk his life and shouldn't shoot this person

B - pulls out his gun and attempts to just wound the person

Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

waiting.for.cdc.jpg

#39 Satan's Evil Twin

Satan's Evil Twin

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:50 AM

So, a cop pulls over someone for speeding...the fine outstanding person pulls out a gun to shoot the cop - does the cop:

A - stand there and do nothing as he is paid to risk his life and shouldn't shoot this person

B - pulls out his gun and attempts to just wound the person

Cops are trained to shoot to kill, not wound.

Won't help. Just look at their scum cops and how they deal with innocent people.

Where you're getting these red herrings I don't know, but I do know fishing is goooooood.

Posted Image

#40 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,293 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:55 AM

Cops are trained to shoot to kill, not wound.

Where you're getting these red herrings I don't know, but I do know fishing is goooooood.

You failed to answer the question - it's a poll and all polls are relevant - remember? Even if the answer is bloody obvious.

waiting.for.cdc.jpg

#41 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,566 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 03:26 PM

when i finished high school i was lost , so i joined a "gang " of young men who were so confused and lost , mostly because their parents were drunks and used to beat them a lot when they were kids . . we used to love punching on with the skin heads, many of whom were rascists, sure we raised a bit of cain , but i do no believe we deserved the treatment we got from the police .
one time a couple of us were rounded up amd, taken down to the nunawading police station were i was handcuffed to the sell bars , had telephone books covering my kidney's and beaten with truncheons for half an hour , for the next week i urinated blood .
several years later i was planning a joint 21st birthday party with a kid that i first met when we were 7 years old , our birthdays were 2 days apart , this kids parents had been alchoholics and had died when he was young , his older brothers were in jail , and he had been in a lot of trouble with the police . he had straightened his life out bought a house and started a family, 2 weeks before our party i got a call from his wife to say he had taken his own life , so i rushed down there and by the time i got there the police had arrived .
i went to the place he had hung himself to see the police laughing and mocking him and spitting on his body as it hung there , while his 2 year old daughter zoe watched on .this brings me a lot of pain , just recounting this . sure we taunted the police , but we were just stupid lost kids , do you think we deserved to be treated in the way i have described ?

I think it's rad when balls beats natural talent

Shaun Palmer

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

#42 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 04:10 PM

Fascists like you would love nothing more than to teargas and baton people exercising their constitutional rights to peaceful assembly.

lolz.

#43 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,293 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:07 PM

when i finished high school i was lost , so i joined a "gang " of young men who were so confused and lost , mostly because their parents were drunks and used to beat them a lot when they were kids . . we used to love punching on with the skin heads, many of whom were rascists, sure we raised a bit of cain , but i do no believe we deserved the treatment we got from the police .
one time a couple of us were rounded up amd, taken down to the nunawading police station were i was handcuffed to the sell bars , had telephone books covering my kidney's and beaten with truncheons for half an hour , for the next week i urinated blood .
several years later i was planning a joint 21st birthday party with a kid that i first met when we were 7 years old , our birthdays were 2 days apart , this kids parents had been alchoholics and had died when he was young , his older brothers were in jail , and he had been in a lot of trouble with the police . he had straightened his life out bought a house and started a family, 2 weeks before our party i got a call from his wife to say he had taken his own life , so i rushed down there and by the time i got there the police had arrived .
i went to the place he had hung himself to see the police laughing and mocking him and spitting on his body as it hung there , while his 2 year old daughter zoe watched on .this brings me a lot of pain , just recounting this . sure we taunted the police , but we were just stupid lost kids , do you think we deserved to be treated in the way i have described ?

Absolutely not.

waiting.for.cdc.jpg

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.