The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Dominik Hasek Comeback Thread: Hasek Plans to Return to NHL at Age 47

Maybe if he signed a double contract as a Assistant Goalie Coach and a Backup (entry level $500,000) contract. I could see it working. Even if Hasek wasn't playing (or warming the bench), he still could work in a mentoring/strategical capacity for said other goalies.

I think mentoring a young Czech goalie like Pavalic is a great idea. To Winnipeg he goes!

• 2 weeks later...

According to Dominik Hasek’s (47 years old), agent, Ritch Winter, he plan is still the NHL:

“He will play,” Winter told ProHockeyTalk. “There is no option. He will play and he will excel and he will do all of the things he can do.

“That’s his view of it. There’s one objective, and that’s it — he won’t fail.”

Winter added he’s fielded interest from about 6 teams, and on Toronto: “It doesn’t look like a spot.”

I could see him fitting with Quick. Quick's young enough that he wouldn't give up more than 15 games, and his style of playing flat on the ice is frustratingly similar to Hasek's.

The warm weather would probably be good for Hasek's bones too. B)

i would question his reliability.... he is 47 years old and if he is going to be an NHL backup you need to be consistent when you are called on or if the starter is struggling.

Personally i think it is a great story and i would love to see hime back but i dont think he would be my first choice if i were going out and signing a backup

• 4 weeks later...

I think they should change the rules in the NHL so players over 40 can be sent down/brought up without passing waivers.

It would make it more exciting both in the NHL as well the AHL. It would make all teams deeper, help teams with development and it helps older players to extend their careers as well as transition into coaching.

ie. past examples - Weight, Conroy, Guerin........ current examples - Hasek, Roloson, Modano, Draper, Knuble..... Jagr, Whitney, Selanne.....

Hasek in TOR or Knuble in VAN would make things really interesting if they were waiver exempt.

I feel there are many players who would decide to retire if they were sent down to the AHL. At forty years of age, they've played enough hockey and made enough money; if they are denied the ability to play in the greatest league in the world, many would find retirement a much more appealing option than playing in the American Hockey League.

Yeah. Probably right.

But I think it could work in some cases if they were waiver exempt.

For example, the Canucks sign Knuble, he plays a few games while Kassian plays a few in CHI. If the Canucks feel Kassian deserves a call-up, Knuble can go down without the Canucks having to worry about waiving a player, like Weise or Ebbett. And after a few games he could be called up again, given priority, without having to worry about another team claiming him. Which would make him a pretty valuable asset.

And of course the playoffs would be the time Knuble would be needed most. So it would be in the teams' best interest to have him play enough NHL games to be familiar with the team. Which is a guarantee of sorts that he won't be stuck in the AHL all season.

I think it gives teams more incentive to sign 40+ players. I also think it gives players more incentive to play if they are on the fence about retiring and want to give it another go and have a shot in the playoffs. Not so much if a player thinks he's still 100%, wants to play all 82 games and considers it an insult to be sent down.

Archived