The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Solution to our offensive woes. What is it?

L'Orange

What is the solution to our offensive woes?  

183 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Your options missed out on the coaching.

AV has one approach: cautious, defensive, dump and chase and let the Sedins cycle. He is not a gambler and the other teams know his system.

The players try to play in his system and hope their talent level and work ethic will make the difference.

Coach needs to change his tactics and not be so predictible. He needs several tactics and he needs to make changes when one of them isn't working. His stubborness will never allow the Canucks to win a Stanley.

I regret that he has gotten himself a contract extention for 3 years, about the time of our window for Lord Stanley.

We have regular season offense. But anyone who says "our offense has been fine!" needs to realize it has not been fine in the playoffs. It's especially frustrating when Tampha lights up Boston the series before. Or how Nashville got lit up the series before.

We lack the grit and garbage goal type of plays because we do not take it to the net, the twins are perimeter players, and Kesler and his line are more off the rush. Our big problem is secondary scoring, which would stem from the second line almost directly. Sorry, but one good series from Kesler doesn't cancel out the fact the rest of the time he has been mediocre with scoring.

We also suck at clutch goals, like when we have to pull the goalie to try and get a goal. From like the past few years, I can only remember a very tiny amount of times we've even gotten a good chance.

We have regular season offense. But anyone who says "our offense has been fine!" needs to realize it has not been fine in the playoffs. It's especially frustrating when Tampha lights up Boston the series before. Or how Nashville got lit up the series before.

We lack the grit and garbage goal type of plays because we do not take it to the net, the twins are perimeter players, and Kesler and his line are more off the rush. Our big problem is secondary scoring, which would stem from the second line almost directly. Sorry, but one good series from Kesler doesn't cancel out the fact the rest of the time he has been mediocre with scoring.

We also suck at clutch goals, like when we have to pull the goalie to try and get a goal. From like the past few years, I can only remember a very tiny amount of times we've even gotten a good chance.

I think our problems aren't the players we have, it's the system they are being made to play in. It needs to be changed. Every team has figured out how to play against us: take away the breakout pass, force us to chip-and-chase, and then be really aggressive on the backcheck. It's shutting our offense down in a big way. That's what the Kings did, that's what the Bruins did, that's what a lot of teams during the regular season did.

That's why we ended up with some of our star players on huge scoring droughts.. couldn't build any pressure in the offensive zone, because our offensive strategy was being crushed. AV has been a great coach for us, but I really think we need to bring someone else in, just to change up the system if he won't.

I love Hansen, but elite forward? The problem is that our management has invested our energies into tweeners hoping they would magically pan out, such as Raymond, Booth, and Bernier.

Meanwhile, we give up so easily on players with more potential (Hodgson, Grabner) or players with a proven track record (Samuelsson)

In addition, management put far too much faith into Kesler's offensive abilities where he got most of his points on the powerplay in his breakout season (an Ehrhoff QB'ed PP).

Your options missed out on the coaching.

AV has one approach: cautious, defensive, dump and chase and let the Sedins cycle. He is not a gambler and the other teams know his system.

The players try to play in his system and hope their talent level and work ethic will make the difference.

Coach needs to change his tactics and not be so predictible. He needs several tactics and he needs to make changes when one of them isn't working. His stubborness will never allow the Canucks to win a Stanley.

I regret that he has gotten himself a contract extention for 3 years, about the time of our window for Lord Stanley.

Offensive woes? We've finished 2nd, 1st and 5th in scoring the last 3 years. We've scored more goals than any other team in that span. Yet somehow we have "offensive woes" because we got shutdown by the Conn Smyth winner in 1 5-game series?

a mix of a lot of that:

top 6 guy for the 2nd line. (Doan type player ;) )

Bring up prospects (that are ready)

Tough players for the 4th line

Test/try a variety of plays to keep opposition guessing what we'll do

We really need the top 6 guy. Once we have that i'll be much happier with the team, but obviously if all the above can happen and the team as a whole improves we take a big step closer to the cup...

Archived