Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Should the Canucks Stop Getting "Character" Players?

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 The Sedin's 6th Sense

The Sedin's 6th Sense

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,431 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:30 PM

Just wondered about this and thought it'd be a good discussion to have on here so here it is:

We all know the Canucks are keen on bringing in "character" players, by drafting, trading, signings...by any means of bringing in a player, our organization wants these type of players. You'll always here "he's a character player" when someone new is brought in, and Gillis and AV say it all the time when they describe the new guys. Check out when MG talked about drafting Gaunce and signing Garrison, they're both "character" players. MG describes it as a person who is a leader on and of the ice, can help teammates and try's his hardest. Well, I think there's a synonym for that: someone who has skill but can't stand up for players.

Now don't take this is an insult, I love the character guys we have here but it seems all of them are afraid in getting in opponents faces. Brown is a leader too, but he isn't a character guy according to MG's description, but I think we need to move away from that a bit and get guys who are nasty and can take that side out when needed. Few players we have that are character players and can stand up are: Kassian, Bieksa. Lapierre, Burrows, Kesler do it at times and for depth players, we need our big players doing it.

Our team seems to get manhandled in any series we play and most the guys watch our guys get hurt. It's not how the Cup is won now and you have to adapt to the play as time goes on and structure your team around current winners otherwise you'll be left behind when tw challenge approaches. Check out the past 2-3 winners, all the teams had skilled players but also had key players that were nasty and dirty. We need that to win otherwise we won't succeed much. The refs has also adapted and give lots of lee-way after a whistle and I find it funny when our players look at refs and say, "wtf, no call!? He clearly hit me illegally". The leagues changed, the refs changed and in overal, the games changed so I was wondering if you guys agree or disagree that we should step aside from getting "character" guys, aka, players that got skill but don't stand up.

Posted Image

"You know what my favourite Super Bowl is? The next one."

- Tom Brady

#2 CanucksFanMike

CanucksFanMike

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:35 PM

Every team needs character guys
Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#3 our time is now

our time is now

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:41 PM

We need skill upfront character defense men or goalies

#4 DaMacNamedDre

DaMacNamedDre

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:48 PM

POPULAR

we need savages, not Mason Raymond butterflies flitting around in the corners on their backsides with legs wide open.
savages dammnit ! long overdue.
everyone in the league sees it accept for Canucks management who won't even re-sign Bitz for peanuts.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Posted ImageBodee, on 18 April 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

I haven't been a supporter of the Canucks for long. Mainly because firstly I know nothing about NHL and secondly ESPN America only started showing NHL 3 years ago.

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/328055-whats-wrong-with-me
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#5 D.Doughty

D.Doughty

Canucks Third-Line

• Banned
  • 3,013 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:50 PM

Burrows and Kesler and dirty and nasty players who are key players. Honestly, a team with Lucic, Carcillo, Kesler, Burrows, Brown, Marchand would win a stanley cup

#6 LostViking

LostViking

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:15 PM

POPULAR

The main reason I don't like all the "character" is that is really puts our enforcers in position where they cannot succeed. Our strategy for toughness seems to be to let most of our players do nothing (hey they're trying real hard, so they don't have to be tough, right?), let a few guys run around and piss the other team off, then place the entire toughness burden on some poor soul like Weise and complain if he can't handle it.

So I do like the makeup of our team and the success we have enjoyed shows the system is working, but I feel really bad for a guy like Weise who has to fight so many battles for others. Dale was a rookie last year, and had some of the lowest TOI on the team, yet he is the guy everyone else was looking to for leadership in the toughness department?

Now everyone is going to look to Kassian, and that is really unfair for such a young guy trying to mold himself into a top 6 player.
Posted Image

#7 Ryan Murray

Ryan Murray

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:19 PM

Why get tough players that aren't afraid to fight, and are hard-nosed penalty killers who lead by example and are vocal locker room leaders?
Posted Image
Credit to Vintage Canuck

#8 Newsflash

Newsflash

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,165 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:20 PM

we need savages, not Mason Raymond butterflies flitting around in the corners on their backsides with legs wide open.
everyone in the league sees it accept for Canucks management who won't even re-sign Bitz for peanuts.

I HAVE A PLAN WHY ISN'T GILLIS FOLLOWING MY PLAN

Buddy I called this EXACT situtation on here two years ago and was flamed, so I guess I have a bit of hockey knowledge, not to mention the 4 years I played in the OHL idiot.

The conspiracy theories that used to be against Lateralus:
Puberty, life, movie theaters, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out during a children's movie, Toy Story 3, Pixar, who ever decided to make Woody so damn attractive, a job, his mothers basement, being 40, being 40 five years ago, dogs who can out run him, all dogs, the Olympic committee, Truth, Fact, Honesty, Logic, Newsflash, a father figure who was there to see him learn to ride his first bike, bikes,

#9 Ryan Murray

Ryan Murray

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:22 PM

I HAVE A PLAN WHY ISN'T GILLIS FOLLOWING MY PLAN

News flash, Newsflash; he does not know who you are.
Posted Image
Credit to Vintage Canuck

#10 hockeystar

hockeystar

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:32 PM

Just wondered about this and thought it'd be a good discussion to have on here so here it is:

We all know the Canucks are keen on bringing in "character" players, by drafting, trading, signings...by any means of bringing in a player, our organization wants these type of players. You'll always here "he's a character player" when someone new is brought in, and Gillis and AV say it all the time when they describe the new guys. Check out when MG talked about drafting Gaunce and signing Garrison, they're both "character" players. MG describes it as a person who is a leader on and of the ice, can help teammates and try's his hardest. Well, I think there's a synonym for that: someone who has skill but can't stand up for players.

Now don't take this is an insult, I love the character guys we have here but it seems all of them are afraid in getting in opponents faces. Brown is a leader too, but he isn't a character guy according to MG's description, but I think we need to move away from that a bit and get guys who are nasty and can take that side out when needed. Few players we have that are character players and can stand up are: Kassian, Bieksa. Lapierre, Burrows, Kesler do it at times and for depth players, we need our big players doing it.

Our team seems to get manhandled in any series we play and most the guys watch our guys get hurt. It's not how the Cup is won now and you have to adapt to the play as time goes on and structure your team around current winners otherwise you'll be left behind when tw challenge approaches. Check out the past 2-3 winners, all the teams had skilled players but also had key players that were nasty and dirty. We need that to win otherwise we won't succeed much. The refs has also adapted and give lots of lee-way after a whistle and I find it funny when our players look at refs and say, "wtf, no call!? He clearly hit me illegally". The leagues changed, the refs changed and in overal, the games changed so I was wondering if you guys agree or disagree that we should step aside from getting "character" guys, aka, players that got skill but don't stand up.

sorry have to say that yes stay with character players... otherwise we would have no burrows or sedins hometown discount....
Posted Image

#11 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:50 PM

POPULAR

Few players we have that are character players and can stand up are: Kassian, Bieksa. Lapierre, Burrows

Outside of Vancouver, those aren't "character" guys, they're nuisances.

-Nobody knows who Kassian is, so he shouldn't be on the list.

-Bieksa's got a reputation as a spot-picker (well-deserved).

-Lapierre might be the most universally despised (and least respected) player in the NHL.

-Burrows has gotten better, but he's still well-known as a hair-pulling, finger-biting, diving, nuisance.

When I think "character", I think Willie Mitchell. Jarome Iginla. Ryan Smyth. Guys who have been around, and who command RESPECT. The Canucks are still severely lacking in that department.

#12 CanucskDominateOnceAgain

CanucskDominateOnceAgain

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:53 PM

I wouldnt mind if we just got guys who can help Kesler score.

#13 TheDave

TheDave

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:58 PM

I just think gillis has his ways a little too set in stone.
I mean he won't sign a player unless they're proven academically, which i suppose i understand, for the most part. I'm just a firm believer that if you don't take the occasional leap of fate, you never end up getting very far.
And gillis wouldn't take a chance if his life depended on it.
But in the end, i'm just some die hard fan sitting at home on my ass with an opinion and access to the internet. I'm sure a proven NHL hockey player/2 time presidents trophy winning GM would LOVE to hear MY ideas on what the team SHOULD do.
I have no concerns.
But yes, i do think we should consider signing different types of players then we've trended towards in the past.

"If he doesn't stop that one, it's goin' in!"

- Bob Cole

#14 brycemeat

brycemeat

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:02 PM

Burrows and Kesler and dirty and nasty players who are key players. Honestly, a team with Lucic, Carcillo, Kesler, Burrows, Brown, Marchand would win a stanley cup

No Marchand please. I like nasty players too, but not rats.

#15 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:04 PM

I mean he won't sign a player unless they're proven academically, which i suppose i understand, for the most part.

Yeah, that link between academia and professional hockey is just so strong.

#16 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,675 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:09 PM

LOL

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#17 Newsflash

Newsflash

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,165 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:11 PM

News flash, Newsflash; he does not know who you are.

News flash, I was being sarcastic.

Buddy I called this EXACT situtation on here two years ago and was flamed, so I guess I have a bit of hockey knowledge, not to mention the 4 years I played in the OHL idiot.

The conspiracy theories that used to be against Lateralus:
Puberty, life, movie theaters, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out during a children's movie, Toy Story 3, Pixar, who ever decided to make Woody so damn attractive, a job, his mothers basement, being 40, being 40 five years ago, dogs who can out run him, all dogs, the Olympic committee, Truth, Fact, Honesty, Logic, Newsflash, a father figure who was there to see him learn to ride his first bike, bikes,

#18 TheDave

TheDave

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:13 PM

Yeah, that link between academia and professional hockey is just so strong.

Not saying you have to be a drop out or an idiot to be a good hockey player or anything like that.
Just saying if there were a perfect piece to our unsolved puzzle that just so happened to not have the college/university background that MG expects, he'd probly pass him up in a second.

- Bob Cole

#19 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:15 PM

we need either

1)players without souls

or

2)robots disguised as humans

make it happen gillis

Edited by cIutch, 19 July 2012 - 07:16 PM.

Posted Image

#20 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:17 PM

did HE ACTUALLY SAY HE GOT OFFERED PEANUTS BRO

cause thats a damn good offer

Edited by cIutch, 19 July 2012 - 07:17 PM.

Posted Image

#21 The Sedin's 6th Sense

The Sedin's 6th Sense

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,431 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:32 PM

I love what MG's done with this team, I've always have and hopefully will support hom, but he has to get out of his zone and realize that we aren't gonna win with character guys only who are our top players. We need some good portion of our top players to be players that may be character ones but mainly have that attributes to stand up, get dirty, get nasty and prevent our players from taking cr@p each series cause it's why we lost the Cup.

I could care less about the season, Vancouver wants to come 1st each season with their skill but who cares really, skill doesn't win in the playoffs now, teams that have skill AND nasty edge players do and it's the reality. If we don't catch up with the others, we'll be left behind and it's going to be a rough road down the yeara cause our window is getting smaller to win each day with our top players reaching or going over their prime and MG has to realize that his plans aren't perfect and sometimes you gotta go with the flow to win. A perfect way to start would be getting an actual 2nd liner who has skill, character, and toughness, toughness, toughness - as you can see I emphasized that - and when there were rumours we were after Dubinksy, at first it seemed worthless with his cap, but I've come to realize it would be a good acquisition...need a player like him to contribute points wise and toughness wise and who can be a good 2nd liner with Kes.

Posted Image

"You know what my favourite Super Bowl is? The next one."

- Tom Brady

#22 TotesMagotes

TotesMagotes

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:39 PM

Zack Kassian.
Posted Image

#23 Line Juggler

Line Juggler

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:53 PM

We are missing good players on our team who are 23, 24 and 25.
Posted Image

#24 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,851 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:04 PM

I wouldn't mind having a guy like Kaleta/Carcillo. Just to play against teams like Boston/L.A and take runs at their stars, when all other teams do is take runs at our stars.
Posted Image

#25 GHL

GHL

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:18 PM

I just think gillis has his ways a little too set in stone.
I mean he won't sign a player unless they're proven academically, which i suppose i understand, for the most part. I'm just a firm believer that if you don't take the occasional leap of fate, you never end up getting very far.
And gillis wouldn't take a chance if his life depended on it.
But in the end, i'm just some die hard fan sitting at home on my ass with an opinion and access to the internet. I'm sure a proven NHL hockey player/2 time presidents trophy winning GM would LOVE to hear MY ideas on what the team SHOULD do.
I have no concerns.
But yes, i do think we should consider signing different types of players then we've trended towards in the past.

Have anyone heard Lucic and Brown talk? They don't sound too "academic", though they win Cups by being severely rough and intimidating.

Posted Image

#26 TheDave

TheDave

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:24 PM

Have anyone heard Lucic and Brown talk? They don't sound too "academic", though they win Cups by being severely rough and intimidating.

I literally couldn't have said it better myself.
Thank you for doing so haha

- Bob Cole

#27 GHL

GHL

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:34 PM

Zack Kassian.

Honestly, the Sedins are so good that the Canucks can take the hit of grooming Kassian on the first line so as to have some protection.

D. SEDIN - D. SEDIN - KASSIAN

It serves nothing to have Kassian on the bench waiting his turn and never be on the ice at the same time as whoever is taking liberties on the Sedins.

If Kassian is on the bench when players take liberties against the Sedins, then when he does take on an opponent, if it is even possible during the game and eapecially on the road, it looks premeditated and morivated by retaliation and vengeance: the refs never take that lightly and the said player never becomes one of the greats of the game.

If he's on a line with the Sedins, he can take care of business right there and then just like the best of them.

The Canucks would also risk turning the Hodgson trade into a lopsided commodity westward.

And players like Duncan Keith.......

Edited by GHL, 19 July 2012 - 09:05 PM.

Posted Image

#28 ahf149

ahf149

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:46 PM

Well we already have one a-hole on the team, his name is Ryan Kesler. Apparently hes wearing thin on the guys in the dressing room, the Canucks dont need anymore negativity. So my answer is NOPE
Life is short, LIVE IT

#29 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,151 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:46 PM

No - now would be the worst time to stop getting character players. Doan is a character player - get us that Doan guy damnit.

#30 eretz canucks

eretz canucks

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:06 PM

July 1st has come and gone, I believe that was the deadline up trade Kesler, as his NTC kicked in then

Would have done

Luongo
Kesler

For

Weiss
Huberdeau
Gubranson
Clemenson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.