The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Career Advice

FlappyLappy

Hey Guys,

Im in need of some career advice. Currently I have a college diploma and working on my applied degree. I also have 4+ years in accounts payable and receivables, and am active on my job search have had 3 interviews in the last week and 2 more coming up.

I am doing some temp work for an investment firm (doing data entry). There is not much room for growth there other then Team lead of AP (big woop) and they have offered me a permanent position at $34,500 (yuck i know).

I am just not sure if I should take the safe bet and this job or keep looking for bigger and better based on my education and work experience so far. the main reason I am debating this is I have to do a 8 month practicum to get my applied degree but I cannot start that till January. So I am really stuck on do I take the job I am way over qualified for and absolutely hate but will get my practicum or do I keep looking for something I have experience in.

BTW I have to finish my degree by December 2015-2016 so there is still time, just very unsure.

Please help an aspiring accountant.

Is there any reason it has to be one or the other?

Why not take this job for now and continue to seek bigger and better? Just as an employer typically puts new people on probation, you can also put the employer on probation. If they aren't the right fit, or if you find something better, you can always move on.

Is there any reason it has to be one or the other?

Why not take this job for now and continue to seek bigger and better? Just as an employer typically puts new people on probation, you can also put the employer on probation. If they aren't the right fit, or if you find something better, you can always move on.

Guest BuckFoston

Forbes had this article a few months ago that sums everything up perfectly for career oriented individuals that dare to dream of what they actually deserve:

The Six Enemies of Greatness (and Happiness)

These six factors can erode the grandest of plans and the noblest of intentions. They can turn visionaries into paper-pushers and wide-eyed dreamers into shivering, weeping balls of regret. Beware!

IMAGE00021-300x183.jpg

1) Availability

We often settle for what’s available, and what’s available isn’t always great. “Because it was there,” is an okay reason to climb a mountain, but not a very good reason to take a job or a free sample at the supermarket.

IMAGE00012-300x208.jpg

2) Ignorance

If we don’t know how to make something great, we simply won’t. If we don’t know that greatness is possible, we won’t bother attempting it. All too often, we literally do not know any better than good enough.

IMAGE0005-300x191.jpg

3) Committees

Nothing destroys a good idea faster than a mandatory consensus. The lowest common denominator is never a high standard.

IMAGE00041-300x198.jpg

4) Comfort

Why pursue greatness when you’ve already got 324 channels and a recliner? Pass the dip and forget about your grand designs.

IMAGE00031-300x225.jpg

5) Momentum

If you’ve been doing what you’re doing for years and it’s not-so-great, you are in a rut. Many people refer to these ruts as careers.

IMAGE00013-300x218.jpg

6) Passivity

There’s a difference between being agreeable and agreeing to everything. Trust the little internal voice that tells you, “this is a bad idea.”

Thanks for the reply, the reason I am not taking the permanent position is the staffing agency I am through right now is paying me the same amount, as if I took this position permanently. I cannot stand the job 9+ hours a day of just entering data, nothing new and exciting. The only thing I am torn about is if I miss out on this opportunity and cannot find something else then I am royally screwed

FWIW, I'd take the permanent position. Do good work for them. Get them to pay to finish my degree. Look for other opportunities all the while.

Also, if it's an investment company, that's a pretty good "in" right there. You could feign an interest in the firm and the industry, get them to sponsor a CFA designation for you, and then maybe go work for them as some sort of Investment Analyst/Portfolio Manager/whatever. Good salary, social prestige, etc.

Thanks for the reply, the reason I am not taking the permanent position is the staffing agency I am through right now is paying me the same amount, as if I took this position permanently. I cannot stand the job 9+ hours a day of just entering data, nothing new and exciting. The only thing I am torn about is if I miss out on this opportunity and cannot find something else then I am royally screwed

FWIW, I'd take the permanent position. Do good work for them. Get them to pay to finish my degree. Look for other opportunities all the while.

Also, if it's an investment company, that's a pretty good "in" right there. You could feign an interest in the firm and the industry, get them to sponsor a CFA designation for you, and then maybe go work for them as some sort of Investment Analyst/Portfolio Manager/whatever. Good salary, social prestige, etc.

The good thing about being employed while enrolled in those things is that the company will typically sponsor you. So that's effectively free extra compensation. Just exchange your time for money until you're done your CGA. Then go somewhere else.

Or, move to Calgary and make six figures immediately working for an oil company. Your call.

Today I farted while I was sitting on the couch. My cat gave me a rather peculiar look as if to say, "Get a life."

Begrudgingly, I took this as a sign that maybe I should, in fact, get a life. So I promptly got off my couch (after watching several episodes of Perfect Strangers) and warmed up a half eaten burrito in my (probably unsafe) microwave - which is from the 80s. After finishing the half-eaten mess, I did some laundry, bathed (kind of), and swept the front porch (kind of). After this exhausting series of events, I decided I should celebrate by watching Perfect Strangers, Golden Girls, and some Growing Pains.

My advice would be to take the permanent position. It's always easier to get a job once you have a job - it shows other firms that you're employable, and you can lever your current job into antoher job at another firm if you need. Also, network network network. If you take the permanent position, take out senior members for coffee and just ask them how they got their job, who they needed to speak to, and if there is anyone else you can speak to. Let them know that you're interested in moving up in the company. Keep trying and keep asking. People for the most part want to help, all you have to do is ask. Good luck, it's tough to get a good job these days.

Lappy:

King and Jyrki have provided some real solid advice...worth giving consideration to what they say.

Perhaps a few things I can add...do not underestimate the value of the knowledge or contacts you will gain, even in a job that may seem like a dead end. It's great that you are working towards your CGA because there is real value in that. In my profession, I deal with Analysts, Investment Advisors, Corporate Finance guys, etc. and having your CGA will serve you very well. The second is, if you haven't done so already, give thought to how this current job fits into your long term plans...if there is some value you can gain out of this job on top of a pay check, then it may be worth sticking it out until you obtain your CGA. Lastly, all of the advice you're receiving from the CDCers is well intended, but free (and free = $0.00)...so take it for what it's worth and trust and follow your instincts (ultimately, everyone knows what is best for themselves).

Good luck to you. Peace out.

Archived