The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Official Hiking Thread.

Armada

That's a tough one Kyle, This time of year most of the longer overnight hikes will have a lot of snow and won't be doable unless you're into snowshoeing and winter camping. You'll probably need to look at something that has a long hike, but with limited elevation change.

Something I've been wanting to do is to kayak from deep cove up Indian arm and camp at the various sites they have over a couple of days.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/indian_arm/

Thanks for the reply Perfect,

The snow issue is becoming a problem with planning a hike for sure. Last year we did Cape Scott the may long weekend. Which is an option for us to perhaps take on the north coast trail as there's not much elevation gain.

The hike turning into a snowshoe adventure has us (the gf mainly) concerned as she hates snowshoes. We did the tetrahydron snowshoe to the hut this winter and she absolutely hated snowshoeing with a pack on. Winter camping isn't an issue at all, it is just the snowshoe factor.

That Kayak trip looks pretty good actually, we did a similar one last summer in Sechelt over 4 nights through the Sechelt inlet. Kayaked around and camped places we saw fit. It was definitely a blast.

• 3 months later...

bumping this thread. anyone have any other suggestions on good worthwhile hikes that are somewhat close to vancouver?

a friend is in town for a week. we did the lions a few days ago and this weekend it's my choice - i'm definitely wanting a more sedate hike this time around.

i like stuff that breaks the hike up, like views, lakes, ladders, ropes, boulders, bridges, waterfalls, etc.. don't particularly like loose rock, black flies, exposed hiking and neverending switchbacks.

Were thr Lions clear? Or is Black Tusk clear yet?

I usually do them late in the Summer.

a bit of snow patches but not on the trail. tons of flies which were really annoying. have bites through my shirt for effs sake. haven't done black tusk or garibaldi so don't know if it's clear yet. this was my first hike of the year.

I just do the Grind once a week and the Chief (all three) once a month.

i like the 3 of the Chief. i don't think i'd get tired of that hike but my friend is tired of the Chief and wants something different. :sadno:

1. I live in Chilliwack and do Lindmen lake all the time its absolutly amazing and just hangin out on the rockslide havin a good lunch and a few beers makes the trip so amazing, plus its not to hard as well. Mt Cheam is amazing I was up there and camped at the base a few weeks ago and there was still snow at the base but not much. GREAT view just be prepared for the drive up as you will most likely need a 4x4 to get up. Good thread though im glad i found this.

You can hike locally a lot of places year round. Just dress appropriately ;)

It may sound crazy but hiking/camping in the rain can be very relaxing and even meditative. You just have to be prepared. We did a 7 day ocean kayaking trip to the broken islands on the west coast of Vancouver island and it rained constantly the entire time. One day we had sun for a few hours but otherwise it just rained. The official park season was over a week before so the place was empty and the ferry was making a special last trip up there past the end of the season to pick up a large Indian youth group camping on one of the islands. We never saw them or anyone else the entire time until we went to meet the ferry. It was a very Zen experience. Now whenever i feel rain on my face it makes me feel the peace and tranquility of that trip all over again.

• 1 month later...

did 1,2 & 3 of the Chief last weekend and my knees survived. weird. totally different from last year. even the backwashed area of the 3rd peak wasn't as bad as i remembered it.

wwXR9lPl.jpg

m7UV75Zl.jpg

and i never even touched my 3rd liter. how do you guys know how much liquid to pack? packed 3 for this - needed 2. packed 5 for the lions, used 3..

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Just did the Sea to Summit trail up to the new Squamish gondola last week. Not bad. follows the stairs of the chief for the first third of the hike, then the upper shannon falls hike (steep and a bit muddy in some areas but not too bad) and then evens out to a nearly flat road for the last part. Pretty great views at certain points. Barely anyone doing it, compared to the Chief (saw 3 people). Might be because of the $10 download fee for the gondola but it was nice to have a cold drink at the cafe at the top.

F34L9E6.jpg

O32YutGl.jpg

That looks amazing Armada, The girlfriend and I are hiking Stein Valley in Lytton this weekend. Can't wait, I'm not sure we will have enough time to complete the whole trail straight through to duffy lake road. There's only us 2 going so we couldn't coordinate a shuttle from one end to the other. It should be a spectacular 5 nights though either way. I'll see if I can upload some pics when I return if the trail interests anyone.

It'll be super cool to see the old native pictographs. The trail apparently used to be a place where they had "vision quests"

I am going to propose to my girlfriend in the next few weeks on one of these. We have done a ton of hikes lately, really enjoy it so i figured it would be a good idea to do it on one of them. I just cant decide which one.

Right now I am just leaning towards taking her to the sea-to-sky gondola and doing it on one of the easier ones up there with a decent view. But another part of me wants to do it with a backdrop like Garibaldi (we did that hike a couple weeks ago)...

Any input?

• 2 weeks later...

I am going to propose to my girlfriend in the next few weeks on one of these. We have done a ton of hikes lately, really enjoy it so i figured it would be a good idea to do it on one of them. I just cant decide which one.

Right now I am just leaning towards taking her to the sea-to-sky gondola and doing it on one of the easier ones up there with a decent view. But another part of me wants to do it with a backdrop like Garibaldi (we did that hike a couple weeks ago)...

Any input?

Joffre Lakes?

Its fairly easy but the reward is absolutely stunning.

Good luck mate!

• 8 months later...

Hiking seasons on boys and girls!

Anyone do anything rigorous yet. I have some big plans for the summer.

Going to the rockies in July on 3 week journey for Mt. Assiniboine, Rockwall and then down to Glacier national park near Revelstoke.

I go every sunday now rain or shine. This is weekend 3

Weekend 1: Lindeman Lake + Greendrop lake (22km's return)

Weekend 2: Lynn valley Baden Powell to Quarry Rock (20km return)

Weekend 3 (Today): St.Mark's

I'm waiting for the snow level to decrease. Can't wait to hit the big hikes soon as I'm not a fan of the local hikes (Especially the Grouse grind).

One of the things I'm actually looking to get into this summer! Anyone know many pet friendly trails, cause I'd love to have my dog to keep company.

These are all the dog friendly trails around Vancouver.

http://www.vancouvertrails.com/regions/?filter=dogs

Unless you have a bigger dog who can traverse larger rocks you should be fine. However, these are a few on that list I wouldn't take your dog on, due to how rigorous the trail is.

-BCMC Trail

-Stawamus Chief

-Joffre Lakes

-Mount Cheam

-Harrison Grind

Archived