The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anyone else think the prospects ranking system sucks?

Erik Karlsson

Yakupov only gets 2 overall better for me each year.. even when I put the stars to green and even if I edit him to like 72 he's only 78 after 3 years...

Cory Schneider stops growing at 27... so I gave him 5 star potential and edited him a bit and he went down 2 overall after one season then got white stars :/

Some prospects like Morgan Rielly and Gaunce get super good and the rest suck. Kesler went down 2 overall after one season too wtf he's 28 not 34.

I don't understand?

Yea it is pretty messed up. It depends on how you develop them but theyre prime should be like 24-28 and they should start to decline at age 34. They shouldn't just shoot up they should go up gradually like 5 overall a year for guys like Yakupov and they should have real life prospect ratings like Gaunce being that good? Hell nah. Make him 4 stars and max out at 86.

• 1 month later...

I believe it is how you play them. If you play a player on the first line, and the produce a lot of points, they will increase, depending on their potential. However, if they have a poor season, they can drop. Or, if you were to put Kesler on the 4th line, of course he would drop because he would not be getting the ice time nor points which he should be getting to max his potential. I think that is how the system works.

I believe it is how you play them. If you play a player on the first line, and the produce a lot of points, they will increase, depending on their potential. However, if they have a poor season, they can drop. Or, if you were to put Kesler on the 4th line, of course he would drop because he would not be getting the ice time nor points which he should be getting to max his potential. I think that is how the system works.

I like the system. Not everyone reaches their potential. I was watching the 07 world junior replay yesterday and not all those guys, who are usually considered top prospects, have made it to the NHL or have been top players. You win some and you lose some...drafting and young players are always a gamble.

• 4 weeks later...

I think the system is far better. I think what needs to be remembered is the rating system is different. For example Schroeder is not going to be a 2nd or 1st line guy in real life. He is 3rd line at best and in this system that can be anywhere from 76 to 80. He is a great fit.

I agree that some of the prospects need adjustments but overall the fact that some don't live up to expectation is great. Look at some of this 1st rnd draft picks that Vancouver has traded. Patrick White, Steve Bernier, Howden never mind the countless other drafts pick who haven't panned out. Where's Andrew Sarauer, Alexandre Vincent, Sergei Shirokov, Patrick McNally and the countless other fails or no names?

To get a superstar is hard,takes some great development and a lot of luck. I personally like the idea that a prospect is a huge chance in the game but a lot of 3rd and 4th liners may appear for a year or two then bow out.

So I guess it's not perfect but getting better!

• 3 weeks later...

Granlund went from 67 to 90 for me in 2 years. Seth Jones went 67 to 88. Its all about where you play them. Play the prospects on the top lines and they'll significantly grow. Some guys just turn out to be busts. I had Grigorenko and he only ended up as a 80 after 5 years.

Archived