The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

*Official* CBA Negotiations and Lockout Thread

At the rate they're going, they still have time. Negotiations only started in mid August. We've got until Sept 15 for the current CBA to expire but really the date that matters is early Oct since that's when the season actually starts. That's pretty far off in the future when they're meeting every couple of days

Yet all of them voted the 2005 cba through to reduce spending. How does that make any sense? They all voted to reduce spending and instill a cap which would help achieve that goal yet the majority of them increased spending through there representatives after the CBA was passed.

That to me is pretty stupid.

All of the owners were perfectly united in the situation as all of them voted what was the "current CBA" through.

Also, I am done with this conversation from this point forward as I do not know how to explain it more because frankly you are not truly understand my argument despite the fact I have explained it to you in 4-5 different ways and overall your point is absurd.

Once again, you are missing the point, and your reading comprehension is no better than a 1st grader. Relocation takes time, and no one is asking the league to relocate 10+ team all at once, but things need to be changed, and Bettman's personal agenda should be set aside instead of hindering the franchises. I have said it a good number of times that, you don't go and ask players to take a 20% paycut when the business is profitable and revenue is rising. Poor business decision such as adding or moving teams to unmarketable location is not the fault of the players. Shutting down 1 or 2 teams that should've no business in this league will no doubt means some not too talented players will have to go play in another league, but that would also boost the quality of current teams, while cutting dead weights that hinder the growth of the league as a whole.

Have you heard of a company called Electro-Motive in Ontario, it was in the news last winter (not the sports news). Electro-Motive is owned by Caterpillar which had record profits last year and they came into the negotiations asking for a 50% pay cut. So to say that you just don't ask players (employees) to take a pay cut when business is profitable and growing is just not the case. Electro-Motive was an extreme example, but as Fehr has said himself, any employer, at any time, would like to pay his employees less. Now the question is can they get away with it? Time will tell.But you know that the owners can miss a year of hockey a lot easire than players can.

Have you heard of a company called Electro-Motive in Ontario, it was in the news last winter (not the sports news). Electro-Motive is owned by Caterpillar which had record profits last year and they came into the negotiations asking for a 50% pay cut. So to say that you just don't ask players (employees) to take a pay cut when business is profitable and growing is just not the case. Electro-Motive was an extreme example, but as Fehr has said himself, any employer, at any time, would like to pay his employees less. Now the question is can they get away with it? Time will tell.But you know that the owners can miss a year of hockey a lot easire than players can.

Dear god,

Please let the NHLPA's counter-offer to the NHL's latest counter-offer to the counter-offer be the counter-offer that gets the ball rolling. I promise to eat all my vegetables, and do nice things. Today we will hear the NHLPA's counter proposal and I pray that it give the entire process a bit of optimism.

There are only 2 weeks left and I'm beginning to tremble.

Thank you God,

Sincerely CDC

My open letter to Mr Gary Bettman

Hey Gary, old buddy old pal.

I'll be 100% honest. I'm not going to make an empty threat saying if there is a work stoppage that I will never watch NHL hockey ever again. We all know that if one would take the time to write an open letter to you about their love of NHL hockey, it would be safe to assume that they appreciate the game too much to walk away from it completely. I will always love NHL hockey and I will always watch NHL hockey. But I can promise you this. I will NEVER spend one more penny on merchandise, tickets, parking, food etc and that is a promise I CAN keep.

Hockey is more than just a sport or a game to its fans, especially its Canadian fans. It is a passion. It is a special part of our lives. Even when the pressures of life, the stress of relationships, the aches and pains of a hard day at work are making you unhappy, as fans of this beautiful sport we all have a common bond with each other. We can turn on the game and temporarily forget all those problems and just watch hockey. Gary Bettman, you are 100% correct when you say The NHL has the world's greatest fans. I understand that above everything else the NHL is a business and that's fine. I have no problem with both sides wanting a fair share of hockey related revenue. I know how negotiating works. But what you are prepared to do is very risky. To subject your fans, the same ones who pay to make both the owners and players (and yourself) obscene amounts of money, to a 3rd work stoppage in less than 20 years is a giant slap in the face to the millions of people who love this game. You may as well walk up to TV camera, look directly into it, raise your middle finger and and yell "f@%k you hockey fans"

The owners clearly won the last time around and got the deal they wanted. They claimed it was a deal they desperately needed to fix a broken NHL and they were willing to throw away a whole season to get it . This deal which radically changed how the NHL was run, creating parity and making it more difficult for the richest teams to throw whatever money they wanted to available free agents did in fact create a better NHL product. Was the deal perfect? Of course not. Can there be some changes made to make it more fair for both sides? Absolutely. But for the owners to say that they can no longer do business under the current agreement that they fought so hard to get is complete (pardon my language) bullsh!t and the fans know this. The owners got the deal they wanted and still found a way to mess it up.

It is the owners who have caused whatever problems they claim to have with the current agreement. It is a product of their mistakes, their overspending, their egos and once again they want the NHLPA to fix it for them. For what? So in 5-10 years they can mess it up again and threaten their employees with another lockout and their fans with another slap in the face?

I want the NHL to thrive. I want the NHL to be successful in all of its 30 markets. I know a financially healthy NHL makes for a better product on the ice. That's why I support tweaking the current agreement. What I don't support is you and the owners bragging every year that NHL attendance and revenues are hitting record numbers in one sentence, complaining how they can't continue to operate this way in the next sentence and announcing that if the NHLPA doesn't bend over once again to fix the problems that the owners have created, that they will punish their fans by taking away from them the game that they love.

I don't care how it's done, just resolve this before Sept 15th. Like I stated, if there is in fact another lock out, YES I will return as a fan and I will always love my NHL, but you won't get another dollar from me. I will no longer buy tickets. If I receive tickets for a game, i will not buy beer, nachos, peanuts, pizza or any other overpriced food or drink that the owners make an excellent profit from. I will no longer buy my favourite teams jerseys, hats, t-shirts, car flags or any other merchandise with an NHL or NHLPA logo attached to it. I will no longer buy the products that your sponsors pay good money to try to sell me.

Simply put, I will no longer be taken for granted as a fan of this wonderful sport. A simple "Thank You Fans" written on the ice just inside the blue lines will not change my mind this time around.

Of course, if a deal can be reached before any part of this season is lost, I as a fan would feel that I mattered and the NHL truly appreciated me.

Please don't take away part of what makes me Canadian.

I just want to watch hockey.

Sincerely

Mr Soprano

To all the folks that are saying we need more Canadian teams, in the long run we actually do not. Yeah in the present if a team relocated to Canada it would be great but there is a lot more potential in the States to make a lot more money. The NHL will make the most amount of money in the long run in the United States due to better TV contracts, a higher population in the States/etc. I am as a Canadian as anyone but the last thing I want is another franchise to be relocated to Canada. Economically, it makes 0 sense in the long run. Especially when the US dollar gets stronger and the Canadian dollar dips.

In the NHLs most recent proposal, they made some changes to Hockey Related Revenue:

1) In the existing CBA, teams can deduct the cost of doing business from HRR. But there are limits. For example, deductions from preseason games or “special games” such as European openers, “shall not in the aggregate exceed fifteen (15) per cent per League Year on a League-wide basis” of the revenues. You can find all of the examples, if you wish, in Article 50 of the current document. The NHL is arguing that costs far exceed these caps.

2) One area of HRR the NHL cannot deduct ANY costs from is luxury suite sales (e.g., paying people to sell them). Everything must be thrown into the pot. Mistake, oversight, whatever - the league would like a re-do.

3) Lightning owner Jeff Vinik spent $35 million US last summer to upgrade The Tampa Bay Times Forum. Meanwhile, Rangers owner Jim Dolan committed an estimated $977 million to a massive renovation of the Madison Square Garden. (Say what you want about Dolan, but doing that without public funding is extremely impressive.) As it stands, teams receive no financial credit for that. The league would like that changed. The model is probably the latest NFL CBA, which allows the league the option of taking 1.5 per cent from the NFLPA’s 47 per cent share to build new stadiums. Larger revenues from newer buildings, the reasoning goes, benefits the players, too.

4) When players on one-way deals like Wade Redden or Jeff Finger are sent to the minors, their salaries no longer count. Not only is the NHL trying to eliminate this loophole from the salary-cap portion of the discussion, it is trying to make those contracts tied to HRR, too.

http://www.cbc.ca/sp...ignificant.html

Lockout is going to happen.

NHL CBA MEETINGS RECESSED; NO FUTURE TALKS PLANNED FOR NOW

The NHL Players' Association and the National Hockey League have wrapped up their collective bargaining meeting for the day - and for the forseeable future.

NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr told reporters after Friday's session that talks are recessed for now and no further meetings are scheduled at this time.

Archived