Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

A random question about NHL fines

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin-B

Kevin-B

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:50 AM

Maybe it's the lack of NHL but I find myself inquiring random questions about how the league is run from a business standpoint. I was curious to know what or where the funds from a player that is fined go? Is it simply kept by the league? or divided up amongst teams?.....other? My apologies if this topic has already been covered,just a curiousity.

I was browsing the net and stumbled on this from wikipedia,thought it was interesting.
http://en.wikipedia....sions_and_fines

#2 poetica

poetica

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,645 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:03 PM

Interesting question.

Did a Google search and found a post at HFBoards with quotes from the last CBA regarding fines.

Fines/Suspensions from from League discipline:

18.7 Use of Fine Money and Forfeited Salary.
Any fines collected from or Paragraph 1 Salary forfeited by Players pursuant to any discipline imposed by the League shall be deposited in the NHL Players' Emergency Assistance Fund.

Fines under Article 26 (Circumvention):

26.14 Fines.
Fines paid pursuant to this Article by Club or Club Actors shall be contributed to the Emergency Assistance Fund. Fines paid by Players or Player Actors shall be contributed to The National Hockey League Foundation.

Fines for violating League Rules:

30.8 Violations.
Any fine assessed to a Player for violation of League Rules shall be paid directly to the National Hockey League Players' Emergency Assistance Fund.

Fines by Teams for violating Club Rules:

EXHIBIT 14 - FORM OF STANDARD CLUB RULES
Notes: 1. Fines imposed in connection with a Player's initial violation (first offense) of a Club Rule shall not exceed $250.00 in Native Currency, fines imposed for any subsequent offense of the same rule by the same Player shall not exceed $500.00 in Native Currency. The Club shall take into consideration any mitigating factors prior to levying a fine in accordance with any of the foregoing rules. A Player's record shall be expunged at the conclusion of each Regular Season. Fines shall be collected and held for use at an appropriate team function involving the Players and donated to a charity of the Players' choice. Note that salary withheld for players suspended by a Team (as opposed to suspended by the League) is just kept by the Team and not required to be donated.

Source: http://hfboards.hock...83&postcount=19

Edited by poetica, 05 November 2012 - 12:13 PM.

Go, Canucks, Go!
Every single one of them.

Thanks for the memories, Luo! :'(

#3 canuckspride

canuckspride

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,791 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:18 PM

It seems these fines were written for salaries 30 yrs ago haha..

#4 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:00 PM

During the regular season, the Vancouver Canucks remained the only team that did not have any players or staff suspended or fined.

I'd forgotten this, we are such a lovely team

#5 Kevin-B

Kevin-B

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:51 PM

Thanks poetica,much appreciated. Just one of those things I started to ponder.

#6 poetica

poetica

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,645 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:45 AM

You're welcome. :)
Go, Canucks, Go!
Every single one of them.

Thanks for the memories, Luo! :'(

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.