The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Fetisov wants to see a Global Hockey League

vancanfan

Hockey is more popular in the US than you give it credit for, its very popular in the larger cities with teams, but on a whole when you consider 300 million people, then yeah, its not #1 sport.

I would move college football to #4, high school football no where near the top. Nascar and PGA tour would be on that list.

I was talking to a guy from Florida awhile ago. He was aware of the Panthers but said they were way down the pecking pole. Behind even high school football.

In some ways this doesn't make as much difference as many Canadians think. It would be great to see those arenas full but I suspect the NHL is a cheap media buy for NBC compared to the senior leagues in Football, Basketball and Baseball. I mean seriously 'Mike Holmes' has his own show. Lots of hours to fill. The only hope I saw of the NHL increasing their revenue was by increased media sales. Perhaps the tough owners position was to ensure a price advantage over their competitors.

Too many differences, too much travel, and I believe that the Stanley Cup should be the ultimate prize. Just imagine the captain of the Stanley Cup winning team refusing to touch the Cup (conference champ style) because Round 5 against the Russians was next. :picard:

I'd rather see the World Championships pushed outside the NHL schedule so that we could truly send our best players each year.

Archived