The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Utility players

Trebreh

Trade #1

To Vancouver: Cory Emmerton

To Detroit: Keith Ballard

Detroit's defence is in tatters, Colaiacovo is too injury prone to be a top 4 defenceman, White has a deep laceration.

I think Ballard will fit in really well in Detroit, they like their puck moving defencemen and under Babcock he will get lots of icetime.

They have Tatar, Sheahan, Ferraro, Jankrok all centers, so they can afford to lose him.

----

Trade #2

To Vancouver: Tommy Wingels

To San Jose: Bill Sweatt or Yann Sauve

San Jose has ALOT of centers and they just signed Gomez so that probably bumps Wingels out of the lineup. Maybe we can get him for cheap.

----

So why make this deal? We could potentially lose Higgins and Lappiere next season. We have them both at a cheap price but if we dont go deep this year or show signs of slowing down, I dont think they'll take another pay cut to stay.

I think we can get these players at a cheap price now, but i have a feeling their value will change in the next 2-3 years because they have the potential to be good 3rd line players.

Worst cast scenerio we lose Lappy and Higgins our 2013-2014 roster with the addition of these 2 would look like this.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Kassian

Jensen - Schroeder - Hansen

Weise - Emmerton - Wingels

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Garrison

Corrado - Tanev

That lineup is cheap and a mixture of vets and youth. Thoughts? B)

Trade 1 is unnecessary, given the fact we have good young players, who will play on our lineup, such as Schroeder.

If we were to trade Ballard, a one-to-one trade will be quite difficult, given his hefty contract. He would have to be included in a package that involves the transaction of two or three players from each team.

Trade 2 would be a trade favourable for Vancouver, but absolutely not for San Jose. Wingels possesses a budding potential, and if San Jose were to trade him, they would place him: (1) In a package for a blockbuster trade, or (2) Demand good-quality draft picks to prepare for future, since they have Gomez, possibly on their fourth line.

Archived