The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Toughness proves to be a winning formula

Understand

from the past 7cup winners it is fairly obvious that you cannot win on pure skill or purely gooning it up. The right blend of skill, toughness, goaltending and sacrifice are needed to win.

Do the canucks have the perfect blend right now? Not quite but they are very close to it and the right trade deadline moves could solidify this roster in every facet of the game.

Alright, then if toughness isn't a remedy for them, how in the hell is it supposed to be the remedy for us?? :lol:

We need a good mix of everything, and we have that. Toughness isn't about fighting in the playoffs, it is about physicality, and we have made great strides since the cup loss.

Yeah we do.

The only team tougher than us to win a cup since the lockout is Boston.

LA wasn't any tougher than us, guys like Nolan and King and Fraser are guys who can play and bring grit and will fight, not goons, and we have guys like that: Weise, Volpatti, Lappierre.

Anaheim had that shutdown line that was just clutch for them, that was really the key to there success.

Chicago didn't have toughness like you want, niether did Pittsburgh, Detriot or Carolina.

Goaltending is the key, not toughness. It's no surprise to me the last 2 Conn Smythe winners have been goaltenders.

Take a look at our current top 9.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Higgins - Kesler - Kassian

Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen

ONE, count it, ONE player out of the forwards who will be playing the majority of the time, in key situations, is tough.

We only have 2 legitimately tough forwards on our whole roster. Volpatti and Kassian.

If you honestly think we are tough enough, I won't bother arguing. Just be sure to bring this thread up during the playoffs.

And with Gillis seemingly becoming more, not less, of a hockey pacifist with the passing of time I'm convinced he is ideologically driven to try to succeed with no toughness or to die trying. A more pragmatic GM would make the necessary adjustments with a cup contender and add those two critically important muscle players for the fourth line in place of Lapierre and Weise. But Gillis was lucky enough to inherit a cup contender and goddammit he's gonna prove his point come hell or high water.

Alright by that logic.

Boston has 2 players who are tough in there forward group.

Thornton and Lucic.

If you think Horton is tough, then Kesler is tough.

Oh and LA, the only guy they have who is tough is Clifford.

And then look at Chicago, Andrew Shaw, Jamal Mayers are really the only regulars, maybe you could make a case for Bickell.

If you think toughness is just fighting, then I think you are looking at it the wrong way, as there are rarely fights in the playoffs, unless games are lopsided.

But okay, if you think we really need another goon, then we can trade a 6th round pick for some goon like Jody Shelley, and have him sit in the press box for the playoffs. Pure goons/fighters dont really help in the playoffs, thats why Vandermeer likely won't see much time in our run this year.

And with Gillis seemingly becoming more, not less, of a hockey pacifist with the passing of time I'm convinced he is ideologically driven to try to succeed with no toughness or to die trying. A more pragmatic GM would make the necessary adjustments with a cup contender and add those two critically important muscle players for the fourth line in place of Lapierre and Weise. But Gillis was lucky enough to inherit a cup contender and goddammit he's gonna prove his point come hell or high water.

I guess you haven't seen our team get bigger, more physical and tougher since the cup run then. Which we have, if you have listened to MG he has said all along that we have been trying to get bigger and more physical.

Add 4th line goons that play 30 seconds a game when the score is lopsided isn't a benefit. Having guys who bring grit, can play and help somewhere else and can fight are huge, not goons. That's why pure fighters are never regulars in the playoffs.

Archived