The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

You have got to love the......

Bodee

Don't agree entirely with you statement. Yes you need skill, of course, but if they don't have the right character, don't want them on this team. You don't win PT two years on the trot without skill?? And a lot of the skilled players, I guess you referring, have shown to be destroying the teams they are supposed to lead. I wouldn't mind an extra centre for second/third line as well as a winger for kessler when he gets back, but if we don't get that I won't burn my jersey for it. Its 100% correct its managements job to better the canucks. And Gilles has being trying to do so. Didn't see a lot of complaints when Ballard was brought to the club, or booth or Garrison etc. That it hasn't brought us the holy grail yet is just tough. Mean time I for one am happy with the character of the players, and for what they have achieved so far. Still hoping for more

What I'm alluding to in my post is that Gillis shouldn't sacrifice skill for the sake of character. It's obvious you need a balance, but with the character we do have in the core, I think that compromising character for skill might not be a bad thing; ie if a player wants to win badly enough they will get with the picture, that's the benefit of having a veteran team, it's their job to keep players in check.

And don't think that "lack of character" equates to belligerence, or cancer or anything else like that; what I'm referring to is there are plenty of skill players who lack the character to face adversity head on and deal with it and need the support of their teammates; that is exactly how this team has been built.

I think that a player like Gaborik fits that mold perfectly; tons of skill but not quite the character to be able to battle through adversity by himself. This year in New York seems to be a testament to that, that roster seems more like a grouping of individuals rather than a team.

I would say that between amnesty buyouts, cap dumps, and a goalie trade, we would be able to easily fit Gaborik under the salary cap next year and perhaps convince him to re-sign for a reasonable amount.

Even if Gaborik were not to pan out in terms of being a lights out offensive dynamo like he's capable of, he's a significant threat that balances the tables when it comes to how opposing teams dictate their defensive coverage; which is something that makes the rest of the team better including the Sedins.

New York has just shy of $54M committed to just 16 players next season and have 4 pending RFA's that are going to be expecting raises, not to mention they will likely want to bolster their defensive core and forward ranks, Gaborik by virtue of just a single year remaining @ 7.5M is their most expendable asset.

If I were Gillis, I would offer a package of Raymond, the Canucks 2014 1st round pick and this years 2nd round pick and a defensive prospect (Connauton/Corrado) for Gaborik + Boyle

Leverage Schneider, Ballard and this years 2nd for Boyes, Niederreiter, de Hann and their 2013 1st (drops to a 2nd if Boyes re-signs).

Injured Kesler:

Sedin - Sedin - Gaborik

Burrows - Schroeder - Boyes

Kassian - Boyle - Hansen

Higgins - Lapierre - Pinizzotto

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Garrison

Alberts - Tanev

Luongo

Backup

Healthy Kesler:

Sedin - Sedin - Gaborik

Burrows - Kesler - Boyes

Kassian - Boyle - Schroeder

Higgins - Lapierre - Hansen

My other point of contention about having won the presidents trophy two years in a row is that in 2011-2012 we probably had the most ridiculous lineup of all time and we had the leagues best power play (or very very close, stats escape me at the moment).

Last years PT win was not so much having been better than all other teams but by virtue of ridiculously good goaltending the Canucks were able to coast through the second half of the season and were fortunate enough that other teams close to them in the standings did not have enough time to catch up to and over take the Canucks.

Our goaltending has been so good the past few years that it has masked the true holes of this team; that outside of the Sedins we have very little in the way of game breaking talent and skill able to generate significant offense in the face of opposing momentum.

I get what you're saying, but why would I, or anyone want to be thankful for a weak roster that has over achieved? With all of the injuries that we've suffered we should be fighting for a lottery pick, but again by virtue of the goaltending we have, we're able to eek out meager wins.

To be happy with that is to accept mediocrity, I want the best for the Canucks but in a league of skill, no amount of character can surmount the power of other teams ability to outgun us offensively.

I get what you're saying, but why would I, or anyone want to be thankful for a weak roster that has over achieved? With all of the injuries that we've suffered we should be fighting for a lottery pick, but again by virtue of the goaltending we have, we're able to eek out meager wins.

To be happy with that is to accept mediocrity, I want the best for the Canucks but in a league of skill, no amount of character can surmount the power of other teams ability to outgun us offensively.

Finally, someone who actually understands its not only about the money he's making, it's about his work ethic.

My dad keeps saying, it's not his fault that he's making 4.2M......IT WAS THE FRIGGIN' GILLIS' CHOICE!!!!!

And ya guys gotta respect that.

Ohh you guys keep saying why is he making so much cash when he hasn't scored yet and all that nonsense crap

But if you look on the bright side, he has adjusted from defense to forward pretty well...................

..............I bet none of our other defense could do that...... look at Bieksa, Hamhuis, Garrison, Edler, Alberts, and Barker

He has shown great skill and adjustment in the last few games and that is why AV has complimented him

It's not just a joke, he has played exceptionally well for a guys who just switched from D to LW..................

.......... You guys just think of it like back to the doghouse for you Bally

But no, it is not, it's just a new beginning for Ballard's career

Another step closer to becoming a great player.

I hope you guys understand how much Ballard means to this team. Thank you, Lappy40.

That would fly in the face of what a discussion is, what's wrong with playing devil's advocate to a legitimate topic of conversation? If anything it promotes a healthy balance and objective outlook on this team we all love so much.

I still think Kassian needs to be on the Sedin line for us to go far in the playoffs. Burrows is the better fit, but they get outmatched physically in the playoffs and don't produce 5 on 5.

Kassian should be able to create enough space for them to do their thing. They did decent together at the start of the season when the Sedins were playing like crap, I would only imagine they would be better now.

Well guys, another victory and to be honest these early morning games are taking it's toll on me.

We chucked everything except the kitchen sink at that team and through a combination of superb net minding and sheer bad luck we couldn't break them. Kudos to them.

But kudos to our lads. Because as I watched I found myself thinking of last season and the season before when we often as not "found a way" to give up a goal.......or 2, or 3 in similar circumstances.

But this team is made of granite and scrap and back check as if their life depended on it. Sure we could have lost out in the shoot out but again, who pops up but one of our players who has been having a torrid time of it as far as points scoring goes.

I was convinced he would score because that is the way this season has gone. Guys stepping up to the plate when we needed it most.

Then Schneids who, due to the stout defending in front of him (how long since we could say that?) had almost nothing to do during the game, saves the "money shot"

Man this team impresses me more and more.

Archived