The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why are most of you against trading draft picks?

Dun Caesar

i disagree the flames have continued trade away the future to try make the team better now, mismanaged yes but Mg has traded prospects for the likes of ballard and booth (don't get me wrong i like MG) but its a slippery slope once you start grasping at straws when the team clearly needs more than one key piece and vancouver needs more than one piece at this time.. i'm not saying van in anywhere as bad a calgary its just a model of a team that continually traded there drafts away and i wouldn't want to se the nucks go down that path especially when the stars we do have are getting older. nows the time to build the prospect pool so the rebuild in 3 years time is less painful. but hey thats just my two cents

It is simple, really....

We are a veteran team who is always aging. The reason why we are a good team right now is because we drafted well 5-10 years ago when we were rebuilding. We are good now because our veteran players are in their prime. But, as our veteran players get older (Sedins, Kesler, Burrows, Bieksa, Hamhuis, ect.) they will not be as effective. So, there are two options when this happens:

A. We go all in now and hope we win by trading all our prospects and picks

B. We are competitive now and make smart, hockey deals to improve our chances of winning, but keep most of our early picks and quality prospects

In option A, we do what the Penguins are doing. Regardless of whether they win or not, they are going all in now, but later on they will suck for a large period of time. It will be a long rebuilding process.

In option B, we do what the Red Wings are doing. They compete for the cup every year, because they keep their picks and prospects, so when their older players retire, they have new, young prospects ready to step in and they continue to compete.

I would much rather be competitive for many years to come rather than go all in one year (not guaranteed to win) and then suck for 5 or so years in the future while you stockpile draft picks and wait while your prospects develop.

Essentially, the time period where you are not a contender is much shorter by keeping your picks and prospects.

Ok I'm done.

Archived