The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Clear Cap Room / Van-Was

I don't think people are understanding why the caps are looking to move him.  The answer is simply, cap space.

37 minutes ago, Jamie Huscroft said:

The trade itself is good, it's actually kind of a no-brainer if Washington was approaching Vancouver with this deal. Having said that, if Vancouver is approaching Washington to make this deal, I think it's going to take a little more than some cap relief (Etem) and a pick to get it done.  

Washington is in a considerably better cap situation than Vancouver is right now. The Capitals have just over $8 mil where Vancouver has around $3.471 mil. Trading Etem would give them (roughly) closer to $4.2 mil. If Johnasson is asking for $4.5+ it doesn't work. 

That cap starts to quickly disappear when Kuz gets a 4.5 cap hit raise next year.  Add in a Orlov, Burakovsky raise along with an Alzner nexy year and caps aren't so cap friendly. 

8 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

Johansson finished in the top 30 for LW in the league, the last 3 years and is a good size and only 25.  He is playing behind the best LW in the world.  I think it is safe to say that his numbers would have been better if he wasn't.

He played mostly on a line with the cap leading goal score last year. Then when Burakovsky started breaking out he was dropped to third line but added to the #1 PP unit.

I think many of you are only looking at this years cap.  I should have explained a bit more.  They have Kuznetsov and Burakovsky whom are their forecasted 2nd liners and will be RFA next year so they will get the bigger and longer terms than Johansson, but that is according to the available media information.  Who knows maybe he will just sign a one year deal with them, they win the cup and then he goes free agency next year.  Who knows???  

Or we could offer Etem plus (2) second round picks since Canucks have 3 for the next 2 years versus Washington zero second round picks 2017 nor 2018, as well as zero third round picks in 2017.  Also I am including Etem because he is a 2010 1st round pick like Johansson in 2009.  I know the stats, but I am saying, does Washington want to risk their first and second lines, as according to all the reports I've read, they want those lines for a while.  Also does Washington want to sign him for one year, for example, $4 mil for that year and then he goes UFA automatically in 2017.  Vegas will scoop him up immediately and Washington will get nothing in that scenario.  So would Washington want nothing in return next year or can they work with an NHL ready 3rd liner like Etem?

15 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

That cap starts to quickly disappear when Kuz gets a 4.5 cap hit raise next year.  Add in a Orlov, Burakovsky raise along with an Alzner nexy year and caps aren't so cap friendly. 

I agree with you there, the cap does start to get much smaller once all those players are up for new deals. I should have mentioned that of all the players currently under contract for this season and the next two, the one player that stands out to move is Brooks Orpik. He's 35 this year and has an AAV of $5.5. I would think that Washington would be more willing to find a partner for him in a year instead of trading away a 25 year old legit second line scorer. 

34 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I don't think people are understanding why the caps are looking to move him.  The answer is simply, cap space.

He played mostly on a line with the cap leading goal score last year. Then when Burakovsky started breaking out he was dropped to third line but added to the #1 PP unit.

Ok, so you are the Caps GM. You potentially could win the cup in 2016/17, and Kuz is a RFA after the season. Do you really think it's better to trade away a good team fit to save money for the 2017/18 season? Are you basically saying the Capitals should give up on the Cup for next year?

24 minutes ago, Jamie Huscroft said:

I agree with you there, the cap does start to get much smaller once all those players are up for new deals. I should have mentioned that of all the players currently under contract for this season and the next two, the one player that stands out to move is Brooks Orpik. He's 35 this year and has an AAV of $5.5. I would think that Washington would be more willing to find a partner for him in a year instead of trading away a 25 year old legit second line scorer. 

And he's injury prone, with I think his 2nd or even 3rd concussion in the last 5 years.  I think they'd like to move him for a LHD,  something they are weaker on although Schmidt step up pretty good last year. 

13 minutes ago, Stix said:

Ok, so you are the Caps GM. You potentially could win the cup in 2016/17, and Kuz is a RFA after the season. Do you really think it's better to trade away a good team fit to save money for the 2017/18 season? Are you basically saying the Capitals should give up on the Cup for next year?

First you have to watch the caps to understand their roster.  Last year Burakovsky's late season play pushed mojo out of the second line winger position.  They expect Burakovsky to fill the offense lost and they just went out and got Eller to fill the versatility.  They also have Vrana who's extremely close to making the jump into their lineup and caps are hoping will take over on a 3rd line LW if not 2nd LW before year end.  They've been preparing for the potential move of mojo for the last two years. Losing Mojo isn't a make or break for them.

Ovi Backstrom Oshi

Burakovsky Kuz Williams

Vrana Eller Connolly

Winnik Beagle Wilson

Agreed. I think they could move Orpik and still be in the upper echelon of the league and make a strong push. The problems with Orpik are his age, contract and like you mentioned, his injuries. I think there is a team or two out there who take a chance on him, even with all those cons; there has to be a team that needs to get closer to the cap floor and his contract is perfect for that. 

7 minutes ago, Jamie Huscroft said:

Agreed. I think they could move Orpik and still be in the upper echelon of the league and make a strong push. The problems with Orpik are his age, contract and like you mentioned, his injuries. I think there is a team or two out there who take a chance on him, even with all those cons; there has to be a team that needs to get closer to the cap floor and his contract is perfect for that. 

he's also a big part of there grit on their back end.  And a very good character guy.  Players like Orlov and Kuznetsov have only said great things about Orpik mentorship and leadership abilities.  If they could move Orpik and aren't worried about the expansion draft, a player they might be interested in is Edler.  He'd be a solid fit into their top 4. (carlson, Edler, Alzner, Niskanen)

12 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

First you have to watch the caps to understand their roster.  Last year Burakovsky's late season play pushed mojo out of the second line winger position.  They expect Burakovsky to fill the offense lost and they just went out and got Eller to fill the versatility.  They also have Vrana who's extremely close to making the jump into their lineup and caps are hoping will take over on a 3rd line LW if not 2nd LW before year end.  They've been preparing for the potential move of mojo for the last two years. Losing Mojo isn't a make or break for them.

Ovi Backstrom Oshi

Burakovsky Kuz Williams

Vrana Eller Connolly

Winnik Beagle Wilson

I get that. I'm not anti trading Mojo, I'm just not sure the Caps would trade Mojo for someone less talented. They are in 'win now' mode. 

If they trade Mojo, which they might, it would be for someone who could potentially help them win the cup, not for Etem. 

7 minutes ago, Stix said:

I get that. I'm not anti trading Mojo, I'm just not sure the Caps would trade Mojo for someone less talented. They are in 'win now' mode. 

If they trade Mojo, which they might, it would be for someone who could potentially help them win the cup, not for Etem. 

Well yes, they aren't going to give him away.  They will still want a return for him.  I think they will get a 1 year deal, and then see how the year plays out. Right now it's a toss up on what is there most pressing hole.  Likes of ifs... How Connolly fits in, how Vrana does in his first year, and how Orpik holds up give it half a year and then determine what area they want to bolster. 

4 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Well yes, they aren't going to give him away.  They will still want a return for him.  I think they will get a 1 year deal, and then see how the year plays out. Right now it's a toss up on what is there most pressing hole.  Likes of ifs... How Connolly fits in, how Vrana does in his first year, and how Orpik holds up give it half a year and then determine what area they want to bolster. 

Exactly, that's what I said. They keep him for this years run to the Cup, then when they are up against the cap with the Kuz contract, they might dump him. But for now, it would be a value for value trade. Not a value for picks or average prospect trade. 

I do think they would like to keep him if the right contract could be signed. They had plenty of opportunity to trade him a season or two ago. I think we are on the same page. 

LOL yup he should risk his future for only a one year deal, lower than he would get at Aug 15 free agency, jus so Washington can decide what they want to do with him.  He asked for arbitration, it wasn't the team.  Personally, since hockey has now become a business, I would go Free Agency at Aug 15 and get more than the $5.25 mil requested to stay.

But hey ... if yer like take one for the team bro, don't worry bout next year without a contract if you get hurt, maybe someone will still make you an offer lol

10 minutes ago, Odjick_fan said:

LOL yup he should risk his future for only a one year deal, lower than he would get at Aug 15 free agency, jus so Washington can decide what they want to do with him.  He asked for arbitration, it wasn't the team.  Personally, since hockey has now become a business, I would go Free Agency at Aug 15 and get more than the $5.25 mil requested to stay.

But hey ... if yer like take one for the team bro, don't worry bout next year without a contract if you get hurt, maybe someone will still make you an offer lol

Too bad its not up to him, but up to the team. Good try though. 

16 minutes ago, Odjick_fan said:

I think you're confused. He can't walk away for the arbitration, the team can choose not to accept the ruling and then walk away from him. It's unlikely that happens. 

27 minutes ago, Stix said:

Exactly, that's what I said. They keep him for this years run to the Cup, then when they are up against the cap with the Kuz contract, they might dump him. But for now, it would be a value for value trade. Not a value for picks or average prospect trade. 

I agree that they will keep him and that he wont be going for a average prospect, but I think he will be gone before trade deadline. I think once they get a figure on what their main hole is, they will use mojo as that trade bait.

27 minutes ago, Stix said:

I do think they would like to keep him if the right contract could be signed. They had plenty of opportunity to trade him a season or two ago. I think we are on the same page. 

I think they are more open to trading him now due to the progress of the other young players,  Kids like Vrana and Burakovsky have been able to step up and make his loss appear less impacting. 

7 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I agree that they will keep him and that he wont be going for a average prospect, but I think he will be gone before trade deadline. I think once they get a figure on what their main hole is, they will use mojo as that trade bait.

I think they are more open to trading him now due to the progress of the other young players,  Kids like Vrana and Burakovsky have been able to step up and make his loss appear less impacting. 

Agreed. Most likely for blueline depth. Brooks is old and not as mobile as they want him to be. 

If they trade Mojo, the deadline makes the most sense. The only thing I don't agree on is the value they would get in return, that being blueline depth. 

Think Brassard for Zibanejad. I'm not saying that Mojo is Zibanejad, but he could possibly net a centre like Brassard, IMO. 

38 minutes ago, Jamie Huscroft said:

I think you're confused. He can't walk away for the arbitration, the team can choose not to accept the ruling and then walk away from him. It's unlikely that happens. 

Yup I read it wrong ... my bad

Archived