The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

LOL. The Sweet science indeed. Lights out got destroyed. YOu rarely hear MMA fighters talking trash about boxing, yet those fools take any chance they can to trash MMA. Bring any of those guys in their prime and they'll get beaten like this repeatedly.

Imagine if he fought a real heavyweight like Carwin or Lesnar.laugh.gif

Here is the real question... can Badr Hari or Remy Bojansky succeed in the octagon? I'd really like to see how an elite kickboxer would do in the UFC. Most of the Japanese stand-up guys and people like Cro Cop were K-1 fighters, and they've made a decent transition, but it would be interesting to see the best guys go at it.

The reason I like kickboxing more is because you get to see more kicks and kick knockouts (since you can't grab).

K-1 guys would do better than a straight boxer but without actual MMA training they would lose still. A striker's chance is always there but look what happened tonight; Couture took Toney down with an ankle pick. A f*cking ankle pick. Anyone with wrestling training wouldn't have been taken down by that in the first round.

K-1 guys would do better than a straight boxer but without actual MMA training they would lose still. A striker's chance is always there but look what happened tonight; Couture took Toney down with an ankle pick. A f*cking ankle pick. Anyone with wrestling training wouldn't have been taken down by that in the first round.

K-1 has standing downs, so you're right about takedowns, but players who fight in Japan leagues have made the jump. Rua, Rampage are two big examples, but they weren't in kickboxing leagues. Still, it's probably not going to be as bad as boxing, where Toney had ZERO clue on what to do. At least K-1 fighters have a pretty complete standing game. I would say they can do a BJ Penn, but he has been crap these last two matches.

Toney had no clue at all what to do once on the ground. Anyone can look like a monster in training but once you have a guy like Randy Couture grinding on top of you it's a different story. K-1 guys automatically do better because they typically also train in MMA anyway. Boxers don't, they only train in boxing.

Toney had no clue at all what to do once on the ground. Anyone can look like a monster in training but once you have a guy like Randy Couture grinding on top of you it's a different story. K-1 guys automatically do better because they typically also train in MMA anyway. Boxers don't, they only train in boxing.

Muay Thai and Tae Kwon Do are fun to watch. :P

Tae Kwon Do is not a real "fighting" martial art. Fun to watch in the Olympics, sure, but put a tae kwon do guy against a wrestler and see what happens.

Hehe, you'd be surprised. There are a few Korean guys who use Tae Kwon Do in K-1. Although... you keep your hands down in Tae Kwon Do, so they haven't been entirely successful, but they have used it in kickboxing. Of course, Muay Thai is pure MMA type kicking.

Tae kwon do techniques can be used in other fighting arts, sure, but as a fully on fighting technique it's horrible. Name the last tae kwon do fighting that won a K-1 event.

Haha I know I know. I'm not trying to defend as a real MMA-type martial art, but people HAVE tried it in K-1 matches, with varied success. I don't think anybody has won a K-1 event with only tae kwon do. Come to think of it, there aren't a lot of Koreans who have won full events anyways.

In reality though, the martial arts in Korea just aren't fit for MMA. Tae Kwon Do, we've already discussed. Hapkido uses joint locks and various short range weapons for close combat. Useless in kickboxing. Gumdo, swordfighting, useless. Taekkyeon, basically the Korean capoeira; useless. Koreans are also very good at judo, which is useless in K-1. The one thing that might be useful is American boxing.

There isn't much, but yeah.... most Korean martial arts just aren't meant for MMA. The one thing is that they are quite flashy and impressive to watch. 720 kicks, 900 kicks, pretty cool to watch. If anybody wanted to learn a real self-defence martial art, I probably wouldn't suggest a Korean one.

Edited by Ki Sung Yong