The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Transit Thread

nitronuts

Somehow, I forgot to mention this jem of a bus rider...

At the start of the term, an Asian girl got on the bus around 41st and West Boulevard. The bus was on the 43 route, and it was packed. She got on the bus, inserted her transfer into the box around 6 times, all unsuccessfully. And then she finally got it right. She entered the packed bus.

Now here's the "insult the injury" part. For those who know Kerrisdale and 41st Avenue in that area, it's very much stop-and-go traffic. The girl was on her way to school, it looked like. She didn't carry a backpack, but her stuff (pens, books, etc.) was all in a handheld bag, like one of those "environmentally friendly shopping bags" you see. So she entered the bus, not holding onto anything at all. I watched in anticipation...

And then the bus braked. She nearly fell over (good thing the bus was packed, preventing her from falling over completely), and dropped her bag. Pens and books and paper and crap flew everywhere.

After a while, she picked everything back up. By the time that happened, the bus was already on the "UBC highway" (SW Marine Drive). Lucky for her that SW Marine doesn't require the bus to brake until Wesbrook, because she didn't learn her lesson -- she continued to stand without holding onto anything.

I facepalm'd.

Edited by BuckyHermit

@ Nitro: Wow, nice pics! Didn't know it was progressing so fast. Can you remind me when it's going to be finished?

And whoa.. I didn't know it was going to be tolled (I only go out there about twice a year). How much will the toll be?

@ Bucky: Why are they always female and asian.. :lol:

Edited by Elly

@ Nitro: Wow, nice pics! Didn't know it was progressing so fast. Can you remind me when it's going to be finished?

And whoa.. I didn't know it was going to be tolled (I only go out there about twice a year). How much will the toll be?

@ Bucky: Why are they always female and asian.. :lol:

The Golden Ears Bridge will be complete and open for traffic in the summer of 2009, around the same time as the Canada Line.

The First Electronic Tolls in Western Canada

Scheduled to open in mid-2009, TransLink’s Golden Ears Bridge will be the first bridge or road in western Canada to use fully-electronic tolling technology.

TransLink will use the revenue collected from bridge users to finance the construction, operation and maintenance of the TransLink-owned bridge and its associated network of major road improvements.

The Golden Ears Bridge’s electronic toll system will mean nonstop toll payment by bridge users. There will be no toll booths, and vehicles will not stop or slow down to pay the toll, keeping the traffic flowing freely.

Instead of toll booths, each lane of traffic will be equipped with electronic sensors and digital cameras. As a vehicle moves across the bridge at highway speed, the sensors identify the type of vehicle, and cameras record the vehicle’s front and rear license plates. Sensors also detect if the vehicle is equipped with a transponder - a special electronic device that can be leased by the vehicle owner. The sensor and photographic data is used to ensure the applicable toll is collected from the vehicle owner, for each use of the bridge.

When the new Golden Ears Bridge opens in 2009, motor vehicles will cross the bridge for free for the first month, giving TransLink time to test the new tolling technology and providing travelers with an opportunity to experience the benefits of reduced travel times.

TOLL RATES:

Car

- registered vehicle with transponder: $2.85

- registered vehicle without transponder: $3.45

- unregistered vehicle: $4.00

Small Truck

- registered vehicle with transponder: $5.75

- registered vehicle without transponder: $6.30

- unregistered vehicle: $6.80

Large Truck

- registered vehicle with transponder: $8.60

- registered vehicle without transponder: $9.15

- unregistered vehicle: $9.75

Motorcycle

- registered vehicle with transponder: $1.45

- registered vehicle without transponder: $2.00

- unregistered vehicle: $2.55

TransLink retains control of the toll rates, which will be adjusted annually to reflect inflation, rounded to the nearest nickel, once the Golden Ears Bridge is open.

To ensure the toll is collected fairly and equitably from users, ICBC is able to refuse to issue a driver’s license, vehicle license and vehicle insurance when a person owes TransLink an excessive toll debt. These terms are defined in the tolling bylaw, approved by the TransLink Board of Directors.

Bicycles, pedestrians, emergency vehicles, TransLink buses, transit support vehicles, and project maintenance vehicles will not have to pay the toll.

electronicroadpricing.jpg

Edited by nitronuts

nitronuts, you told us that the Canada Line will be open on Aug. 1st. 09 (Sat.)

I am afraid there would be traffic on that day since the fireworks can be on the same date.

Has the Translink considered the problem?

I say what a way to start things off with a bang!

edit, no pun intended (honestly!)

Edited by Columbo

nitronuts, you told us that the Canada Line will be open on Aug. 1st. 09 (Sat.)

I am afraid there would be traffic on that day since the fireworks can be on the same date.

Has the Translink considered the problem?

lol, that's what i thought too....count on them to not consider that. Then again, it would be a great way to test out the system in high demand.

lol, that's what i thought too....count on them to not consider that. Then again, it would be a great way to test out the system in high demand.

Well, drunk + teenager = high demand.

Certainly better than waiting at Burrard Stn for upwards of 90 mins for a B-line...

I honestly hope Translink is smart enough to consider putting transit cops onto the trains that night to curb drunk and rowdy behavior...

Well, drunk + teenager = high demand.

Certainly better than waiting at Burrard Stn for upwards of 90 mins for a B-line...

I honestly hope Translink is smart enough to consider putting transit cops onto the trains that night to curb drunk and rowdy behavior...

Well, they'll run the Canada Line frequency in peak frequency during the fireworks.....so, it'll be equivalent to having three B-Line buses arriving every 3.5 minutes.

nitro, you seem to be pretty good w/ the RAV line details. now, the fireworks questions has inspired me to ask this:

how much parking/waiting spaces will there be at the richmond center/brighouse stop for those who ride the RAV line but then switch to a ride home? or will there be none?

40861455wn8.png

10kc2.png

Well, when you put it that way...

Anything's better than having one B-line every 15 mins, i suppose :P

15-mins??? lol, the 98 B-Line comes whenever it damn wants to. It has no schedule. It could be 4 minutes, 10 minutes, 15 mins, 30 mins...hell, even an hour.

15-mins??? lol, the 98 B-Line comes whenever it damn wants to. It has no schedule. It could be 4 minutes, 10 minutes, 15 mins, 30 mins...hell, even an hour.

The same can be said for any Richmond bus, lol.

Reminds me of that Facebook group dedicated to this issue, for Richmond.