The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Transit Thread

nitronuts

Whoaa.. that's so trippy.. and distracting.. @____@

They said the exact same thing when windshield wipers, neon lights, and radio inside vehicles were introduced.

Anyhow, I'm surprised that they didn't install this on one of the new buses instead....

They said the exact same thing when windshield wipers, neon lights, and radio inside vehicles were introduced.

Anyhow, I'm surprised that they didn't install this on one of the new buses instead....

I believe the older New Flyer D40's are going to be retired in 2010, to be replaced by Nova Bus LFS hybrids... it is often more convenient to use a older vehicle as a test bed as it is well known and after the experiment, it can be chucked.

I believe the older New Flyer D40's are going to be retired in 2010, to be replaced by Nova Bus LFS hybrids... it is often more convenient to use a older vehicle as a test bed as it is well known and after the experiment, it can be chucked.

I used to dislike the Novas, but now I love them. They carry so much more people than the New Flyers (I believe the official capacity for Novas is about 10-15 more than New Flyers). And the front door is so much wider.

My only complaint now is the jerky acceleration and braking. You really have to hold on tight when you're on the Novas.

I hate the D40 buses, so good riddance.

Edited by BuckyHermit

Well, what's the bus driver gonna do? Not drive until you pay up or boot you off the bus?

Sometimes, I actually wish people on the buses had the balls to tell people like you to gtfo. Your type of people is just one of the reasons why Translink feels it has to increase the bus fares.

Actually, a recent Buzzer issue published this:

transit.jpg

People skipping payment doesn't have a whole lot to do with the raising fare prices.

Shame that Translink still bought the new generation New Flyer's, those buses shake themselves apart.

I think Translink should install silent alarms on their buses so that if a bus driver feels threatened physically, they can call the police by pushing a red button or a yellow strip. Then police cars can come within 3-5 minutes. Because safety is almost non-existent on buses.

I think Translink should install silent alarms on their buses so that if a bus driver feels threatened physically, they can call the police by pushing a red button or a yellow strip. Then police cars can come within 3-5 minutes. Because safety is almost non-existent on buses.

The only problem is within those 3-5 mins, the bus driver could be dead.

As well, I don't think buses have any GPS systems where they can relay location info to HQ if needs be. They can call for police, but it'll do no good if the cops dont know where they are. Please correct me if there is some sort of technology that is installed on buses...

^All of the buses are being outfitted with GPS systems so that Translink control knows where all their buses are. GPS also enables Translink to have live electronic displays and automatic audio announcements of the next stops, which I'm sure you've all experienced by now. All this is part of the $40-million that Translink spent on the new bus radio communication system.

“This development is just one of the service and safety improvements we’ll see as a result of TransLink’s $40 million investment in a new radio system for the bus fleet,” says TransLink CEO Pat Jacobsen. TMAC – built onto a communications platform provided by Init Innovations in Transportation of Virginia – improves communication, schedule reliability and safety in a variety of ways.

For example, TMAC enables GPS (Global Positioning System) location of individual buses, so that dispatchers can respond to traffic and demand patterns and change route assignments accordingly. Buses can also be located more accurately in the event of an emergency in which the operator is not able to communicate the position.

GPS location would also allow for further improvements in customer information functions, such as the newly launched Next Bus feature. Currently, Next Bus tells the user when the next six buses are scheduled to arrive at a given stop. With GPS, Next Bus will be able to tell a customer when the next six buses are actually expected to arrive.

Another feature enabled by TMAC is the “annunciator”: customers riding some of the new buses will hear the automated message on the next stop while LED panels in the ceiling display the same information.

The annunciator helps fill a need long called for by advocates in the disability community: improved access for visually impaired people. TransLink has worked closely with the disability community for many years, developing ways of making conventional public transportation more accessible to more people.

Really...i always thought the street signs things were controlled by the bus drivers themselves.

Despite that, the "next B-line" signs along Granville are still dead wrong :P

Hopefully, they fix that soon.

As well, I'd love to see a "realtime" timetable installed at major hubs like UBC, SFU, and other loops, showing how many minutes 'till the next bus departs.

k, does anyone know how to report a really bad bus driver other than calling customer complaints (who just ignore you)?

route 130 this morning at 9:45am oct 26, 2008

bus driver is so in a rush for some reason, he doesnt collect fares (lets everyone on for free just to speed things up), then speeds off. he's always speeding everytime i've seen him drive (twice), and today he hit a dog and just said "oh crap i hit a dog" and kept speeding off. i got off next stop and ran to see the dog dying in the street.

i'd like to find a way to get this guy off the road before the next thing he hits is a pedestrian.

any advice?

nitronuts, you seem to know lots about translink, do you work there? know any way to report someone better than the customer complaint line?

k, does anyone know how to report a really bad bus driver other than calling customer complaints (who just ignore you)?

route 130 this morning at 9:45am oct 26, 2008

bus driver is so in a rush for some reason, he doesnt collect fares (lets everyone on for free just to speed things up), then speeds off. he's always speeding everytime i've seen him drive (twice), and today he hit a dog and just said "oh crap i hit a dog" and kept speeding off. i got off next stop and ran to see the dog dying in the street.

i'd like to find a way to get this guy off the road before the next thing he hits is a pedestrian.

any advice?

nitronuts, you seem to know lots about translink, do you work there? know any way to report someone better than the customer complaint line?

I would actually report that to Translink's complaint line....believe it or not, they do take these types of complaints quite seriously - especially in your situation.

And if it's really that important to you, you could always call up Global BC. ;):lol: