The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Transit Thread

nitronuts

At the expense of the airport workers who will actually use the transit?

For one day... heaven forbid....

And it's not like it's a disruption in your regular routine, you never had the option of taking the Canada Line BEFORE today. Just think of it as actually opening tomorrow, which is effectively the case anyway.

Although I have a uPass, I still decided to try it out, figuring "this is what September 8th will look like."

I have lost most of my faith in humanity (well, more of the RAV-riders). Lineups stretching for hundreds of meters, lack of efficient crowd control, major arterial areas blocked off because of pedestrians, train breakdowns at YVR, and a general "me-first" attitude where people get on the train first instead of letting others disembark.

Then again, I should have seen this coming. Or really, should I have?

Although I have a uPass, I still decided to try it out, figuring "this is what September 8th will look like."

I have lost most of my faith in humanity (well, more of the RAV-riders). Lineups stretching for hundreds of meters, lack of efficient crowd control, major arterial areas blocked off because of pedestrians, train breakdowns at YVR, and a general "me-first" attitude where people get on the train first instead of letting others disembark.

Then again, I should have seen this coming. Or really, should I have?

It won't be this bad on September 8th. There weren't lineups 2-3 blocks long waiting for the 98-B Line were there? Or all the Richmond to Vancouver buses combined. Plus the Canada Line will come more frequently and fit a lot more people than the buses. It should be ok. Very full, but manageable, probably a lot like the Expo Line.

For one day... heaven forbid....

And it's not like it's a disruption in your regular routine, you never had the option of taking the Canada Line BEFORE today. Just think of it as actually opening tomorrow, which is effectively the case anyway.

My point is that only in Vancouver can an opening of a mass-transit system actually set transit backwards.

I'm glad we have the thing, really, I'm stoked, it's just that I find the people who waited in line that long quite dumb for putting up with it. The people who actually have to commute suffered today.

Although I guess that post and subsequent ones were made after being pissed off after a longer-than-it-should-have been bus ride from the airport to my house, but hey, it happens.

It won't be this bad on September 8th. There weren't lineups 2-3 blocks long waiting for the 98-B Line were there? Or all the Richmond to Vancouver buses combined. Plus the Canada Line will come more frequently and fit a lot more people than the buses. It should be ok. Very full, but manageable, probably a lot like the Expo Line.

At RC station, I saw the lineup from the station extend down towards the TD Bank at that strip mall. This was at 7:30pm. I'd hate to imagine what it was like at 1pm.

Granted, this won't be as bad on Sept 8, as the usual mix of commuters have more common sense than some of the people who I saw today. However, I'd hate to imagine what it'd actually be like.

That said, today was nothing short of a complete communications breakdown between the general public, platform attendants, and station managers. Trains that were supposedly going to YVR every other trip never showed up, leaving passengers stranded at both the YVR station AND the Bridgeport station. That resulted in the Bridgeport stn filling up to capacity really quickly and passengers there not knowing where to go. I can go on and on about this, but I only went to 6 stations today (41, 49, Broadway, Bridgeport, YVR, RC) and even from what I saw, I was scared of the crowd.

I was going to try out the line from Broadway and Cambie because I live right by it, but the line was a block long and I got discouraged. Instead, I walked 5 minutes to the Olympic Village station, which was practically deserted. Hooray! Overall I was impressed with what I saw, the stations actually look nice once you get inside them, I find them spacious enough, and the trains seem quieter than normal skytrains and comparable in speed. (They look awful though, what with being unpainted... gives them a very unfinished look.) Anyway, all in all, I definitely liked what I saw.

I was going to try out the line from Broadway and Cambie because I live right by it, but the line was a block long and I got discouraged. Instead, I walked 5 minutes to the Olympic Village station, which was practically deserted. Hooray! Overall I was impressed with what I saw, the stations actually look nice once you get inside them, I find them spacious enough, and the trains seem quieter than normal skytrains and comparable in speed. (They look awful though, what with being unpainted... gives them a very unfinished look.) Anyway, all in all, I definitely liked what I saw.

While i found the station overall to be quite spacious and comfortable, I was very frightened at the area of the platforms. They appeared no larger than 10 feet by the length of the train, and not able to carry any more than 300 people on the platform. The fact that people are rushing to and from the train also gives me the impression that accidents will occur, and someone's face is gonna get stepped on once they get knocked to the ground by accident.

While i found the station overall to be quite spacious and comfortable, I was very frightened at the area of the platforms. They appeared no larger than 10 feet by the length of the train, and not able to carry any more than 300 people on the platform. The fact that people are rushing to and from the train also gives me the impression that accidents will occur, and someone's face is gonna get stepped on once they get knocked to the ground by accident.

A lot of Expo line stations are the same though. Take Metrotown for instance, the platform is a lot longer than the train, but no one ever stands on the west side of it. The part where the train actually comes is always so packed that it's a miracle people don't get pushed onto the tracks every time a new train comes. Columbia is pretty bad too, the platform seems really narrow. But people manage...

A lot of Expo line stations are the same though. Take Metrotown for instance, the platform is a lot longer than the train, but no one ever stands on the west side of it. The part where the train actually comes is always so packed that it's a miracle people don't get pushed onto the tracks every time a new train comes. Columbia is pretty bad too, the platform seems really narrow. But people manage...

Ya at Metrotown not a lot of ppl walk down to that side. The smarter ppl get an avantage though lol. Stadium station is probably about the biggest station.

If they have so much excess platform space, why don't they turn some of it into a pit stop for smokers? Not that I want to sanction smoking anywhere on the system, but if it'll get more cars, including those driven by smokers, off the road and prevent some of their delinquents from smoking on the train, why not?

The Canada Line opening was a massive failure. The stations could not accommodate the huge crowds. I can't even get on a train. They should have made the platforms 80 meters long.

I couldn't agree more.

I knew it would be a mess, but this was unimaginable.