The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Transit Thread

nitronuts

Calculations:

Expo Line: 28.9km Waterfront to King George, 39 minutes between terminii = 44.46km/h average

Millenium Line: 20.3km Columbia to VCC, 28 minutes = 43.5km/h average

Canada Line: 14.5km Waterfront to Richmond-Brighouse, 24 minutes: 36km/h average

They will probably increase the speed of the Canada Line trains at certain sections once they are used to the new system and are comfortable with increasing speeds.

Termini. Not terminii. In latin you drop the "us" and add an "i" to pluralize. terminii would mean that the word you were making plural was terminius.

[bill nye]NOW YOU KNOWWWWWWW....[/bill nye]

Took the subway ride from Incheon to Seoul today... Had some fun with the crowds near downtown Seoul but it didn't result in any train-pushers doing their stuff. The passengers seem to be pretty compliant for the most part.

Their trains lack sufficient air conditioning for the most part. Only the Incheon and AREX lines seem to have good A/C, and that might only be because of the lower ridership when I got on.

And one of them might be a Bombardier because the acceleration/decceleration sounds were almost like the old SkyTrain Mark I's.

(99% of the population drives KIA or Hyundai here... It was so cliche -- the first thing I saw upon getting off the plane was a big KIA commercial.)

They all own KIAs and Hyundais because of the ridiculous import tariffs. They think Honda Civics are expensive, high-end cars. lol

It will happen, but the question is where would it stop? There's no doubt that LRT will be thrown out the door, it makes no sense. The NIMBY's and LRT enthusiasts can make all the noise they want, but LRT on Broadway is just retarded and the people in charge know it.

Arbutus will no doubt be the minimum of what a SkyTrain extension would stop at. The City of Vancouver is already forcing a major condo/retail development at Arbutus and Broadway to allow provisions for a large underground rail transit entrance at the development.

Going all the way to UBC would be most ideal, but we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

I would love to believe this, but again, how do you know? I haven't seen a word about it on the media or on the internet (outside of this forum) except for that one study that examined the feasibility or whatever, but nothing concrete at all. I'm having doubts!

Cool picture, but hardly concrete evidence of anything...

Actually Translink back in 1999, was planning to build skytrain in the broadway corridor after the millenium line was complete extending from VCC to UBC. The funds were not there, so they haulted it, then the Canada line opportunity came up, and with the olympics awarded to the CITY.. Canada line was approved and built.

The provincial governments transit plan calls for rapid transit to be built along the broadway corridor by 2020.

"The provincial government’s 2008 transit plan calls for a new $3-billion rapid transit system to UBC along the Broadway corridor to be built by 2020."

http://www.vancouversun.com/West+Broadway+...3375/story.html

It only makes sense for this line to be built along one of the busiest and fastest growing areas of the city.

Cool picture, but hardly concrete evidence of anything...

To add on to what Mr. Habitat said, both the Evergreen and Broadway SkyTrain segments of the Millennium Line were originally to be built at once. But the NDP decided to phase it instead, both extensions would have been done by 2005. After the Liberals came into power there wasn't enough money in the pot for both projects so they were shelved. The Canada Line took priority right after.

Early-2008, the BC Liberals announced a $12-billion plan to build SkyTrain to UBC, build the SkyTrain Evergreen Line, and extend the Expo Line further into Surrey plus capacity and infrastructure upgrades to the Expo Line. It also includes the purchase of 250 additional SkyTrain cars, 1000 buses (and possibly double decker ones too), and a billion for 8 high-speed rapid bus lines in the Vancouver region.

I'm surprised you never heard any of this. It's far from being a fairy tale, it's reality. But the reality also includes NIMBY's, particularly for the UBC extension.

Subsequently, Translink has spent about $3-million to study the options for rapid transit rail extensions to UBC and the SkyTrain extension further into Surrey. The report will come out later this year, and both projects will move forward from there.

This is the graphic the government released when they announced the $12-billion transit plan:

BC_2020rapidbus_080114.jpg

To add on to what Mr. Habitat said, both the Evergreen and Broadway SkyTrain segments of the Millennium Line were originally to be built at once. But the NDP decided to phase it instead, both extensions would have been done by 2005. After the Liberals came into power there wasn't enough money in the pot for both projects so they were shelved. The Canada Line took priority right after.

Early-2008, the BC Liberals announced a $12-billion plan to build SkyTrain to UBC, build the SkyTrain Evergreen Line, and extend the Expo Line further into Surrey plus capacity and infrastructure upgrades to the Expo Line. It also includes the purchase of 250 additional SkyTrain cars, 1000 buses (and possibly double decker ones too), and a billion for 8 high-speed rapid bus lines in the Vancouver region.

I'm surprised you never heard any of this. It's far from being a fairy tale, it's reality. But the reality also includes NIMBY's, particularly for the UBC extension.

Subsequently, Translink has spent about $3-million to study the options for rapid transit rail extensions to UBC and the SkyTrain extension further into Surrey. The report will come out later this year, and both projects will move forward from there.

This is the graphic the government released when they announced the $12-billion transit plan:

BC_2020rapidbus_080114.jpg

Yeah. IT was quite a huge announcement about 2 years ago if i'm correct? I remember listening to the press conference by Gordo Live at work on the radio and was pumped to hear the plan for skytrain extension.

And if you want more proof I opened the PDF on translinks website.

http://www.translink.ca/~/media/Documents/...%20Summary.ashx

Figure A 3

No no I've heard about all these "plans" but right now they sound like nothing more than empty politician promises and fleeting reports. I want to hear something like "construction will begin in the summer of 20??" or "this is the definite route that the new line will take" or something. I mean what if the Liberals lose the next election? Will the plans evaporate? It all sounds very nice, but it just doesn't seem concrete enough!

Really, I promise I've heard about everything you guys posted, I just don't buy it quite yet. Not solid enough. I'm still very skeptical, is what I'm trying go say.

^ it's hard to come up with something solid until there's funding for it, and that's $2.8-billion. We just spent $2-billion on a new line that just opened, we're about to spend $1.4-billion on the Evergreen Line, and Translink needs to find $450-million every year to continue transit expansion including funding for Evergreen.

A definitive route for the Broadway extension will be made over the next few years.

It'll be built sooner or later, it's obviously vital to the region.

^ it's hard to come up with something solid until there's funding for it, and that's $2.8-billion. We just spent $2-billion on a new line that just opened, we're about to spend $1.4-billion on the Evergreen Line, and Translink needs to find $450-million every year to continue transit expansion including funding for Evergreen.

A definitive route for the Broadway extension will be made over the next few years.

It'll be built sooner or later, it's obviously vital to the region.

It's this "sooner or later" talk that worries me. I mean what if a source of funding never comes? What if the NDP come to power? What if the NIMBY-ers get their way? There seems to be a lot that could derail this plan... like I said, I'm still skeptical. :(

^ actually, the NDP are in LOVE with transit. Unfortunately, they love it so much they'd spend until we're broke.

The question is, what type of transit would we see on Broadway under the NDP? The NDP candidate running against Campbell in the Point Grey electorate district in May really tried to rally the NIMBY types, Broadway businesses (by Cambie fear mongering), and LRT enthusiasts against voting for Campbell as he would bring SkyTrain to the area....

The question is, what type of transit would we see on Broadway under the NDP? The NDP candidate running against Campbell in the Point Grey electorate district in May really tried to rally the NIMBY types, Broadway businesses (by Cambie fear mongering), and LRT enthusiasts against voting for Campbell as he would bring SkyTrain to the area....

Yes, this is my point. If the NDP are elected and we end up with some crappy LRT on Broadway, I'm moving to Delta or something. To avoid the DISASTER.

Yes, this is my point. If the NDP are elected and we end up with some crappy LRT on Broadway, I'm moving to Delta or something. To avoid the DISASTER.

lol, all of BC will be ground zero with the NDP elected. Moving to Delta won't help.

are there automatic station announcements?

Yes, stand on the train platform and about 15 secs before the train arrives there will be announcements.

Apparently, they've turned down the announcement volume at the elevated stations in Richmond because of noise complaints.

And there are also quite a few other automated station announcements and they're still testing them out:

"The Canada Line is experiencing major delays due to harsh weather conditions."

"A guideway intrusion is detected. Please return to the platform. You are in danger."

A Capstan Station announcement was tested on the train, a future station is planned on No.3 Road and Capstan. It will definitely happen in the near future.

And as for the guideway intrusion, I believe that announcement will sound when you put even your hand over the tracks beyond the yellow edge. The announcement warning obviously shuts off when the train is arriving at the platform.

Edited by nitronuts

^ actually, the NDP are in LOVE with transit. Unfortunately, they love it so much they'd spend until we're broke.

:lol:

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/deficit+f...3787/story.html

In 2002 the B.C. government passed a law that prohibited deficits. In December, after the economy had already turned and economists predicted a slowdown, Hansen was asked if a deficit in the upcoming budget was possible. The answer: no.

"In British Columbia there is legislation that says deficits are illegal,” Hansen said at the time. “So I will be bringing down on Feb. 17 a balanced budget.”

Two months later, the February budget predicted a deficit of $495 million for 2009-10 and a shortfall of $245 million in 2010-11 and the law was amended. Now with two more years of deficits predicted it’s back to the legislature again.

I know, I know, the recession, the price of gas, the alignment of the moon, etc etc etc. :lol:

Yes, stand on the train platform and about 15 secs before the train arrives there will be announcements.

Apparently, they've turned down the announcement volume at the elevated stations in Richmond because of noise complaints.

And there are also quite a few other automated station announcements and they're still testing them out:

"The Canada Line is experiencing major delays due to harsh weather conditions."

"A guideway intrusion is detected. Please return to the platform. You are in danger."

A Capstan Station announcement was tested on the train, a future station is planned on No.3 Road and Capstan. It will definitely happen in the near future.

And as for the guideway intrusion, I believe that announcement will sound when you put even your hand over the tracks beyond the yellow edge. The announcement warning obviously shuts off when the train is arriving at the platform.

cool. are there any automatic announcements in the train though? cause i rode it yesterday and i don't remember hearing much except "This train is for waterfront". I was hoping for "Next station is..."

:lol:

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/deficit+f...3787/story.html

I know, I know, the recession, the price of gas, the alignment of the moon, etc etc etc. :lol:

You'd be an idiot to ignore the recession.

The NDP have always traditionally been much more of the spending spree types.

But the NDP would increase spending, not decrease it, James said.

“The government is going in the wrong direction and contrary to anyone else across this country,” James said. “If you look at other provinces, if you look at other jurisdictions you’re seeing investments in the economy, you’re seeing stimulus packages.

Edited by nitronuts