The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Transit Thread

nitronuts

Rapid Transit Principles for the UBC line.

http://vancouver.ca/ctyclerk/cclerk/20100119/documents/ttra4.pdf

The UBC/Broadway Corridor has a long history of transit studies dating back to the early 1990s.

The current Study builds upon past work and takes into consideration the completion of the

Canada Line, recent planning initiatives, and the latest transit technology options.

Where oh where do I get these ideas about a glacially slow planning process and no real action???

IMO, the only options worth studying are where to end an millenium line extension. If the current ridership on the bus is comparable with the RAV line, then clearly any solution to that corridor should have at least as high a capacity, if not more, than the RAV line. The obvious solution then is skytrain technology in the form of a millenium line extension.

Building it in a tunnel to get up to tenth, and then cut and cover down tenth would be far less disruptive than the RAV line as it wouldn't be on a major corridor. Temporary crossings AND SMART STAGING could make a ton of difference.

And as tenth is already a bike route for much of it's route, go all the way and close tenth to cars (up to Alma) and make it true pedestrian/bikeway. This plan would minimise community impact, promote walking, transit, and cycling while at the same time minimising costs. The only decisions should be whether to go to cambie, burrard, macdonald, alma or all the way to UBC. After that transfer to rapid bus.

Any light rail options in the area would make a serious SNAFU to north south traffic (which apparently is bad in construction, let alone permanantly) which would include pedestrians and bike traffic.

Where oh where do I get these ideas about a glacially slow planning process and no real action???

IMO, the only options worth studying are where to end an millenium line extension. If the current ridership on the bus is comparable with the RAV line, then clearly any solution to that corridor should have at least as high a capacity, if not more, than the RAV line. The obvious solution then is skytrain technology in the form of a millenium line extension.

Building it in a tunnel to get up to tenth, and then cut and cover down tenth would be far less disruptive than the RAV line as it wouldn't be on a major corridor. Temporary crossings AND SMART STAGING could make a ton of difference.

And as tenth is already a bike route for much of it's route, go all the way and close tenth to cars (up to Alma) and make it true pedestrian/bikeway. This plan would minimise community impact, promote walking, transit, and cycling while at the same time minimising costs. The only decisions should be whether to go to cambie, burrard, macdonald, alma or all the way to UBC. After that transfer to rapid bus.

Any light rail options in the area would make a serious SNAFU to north south traffic (which apparently is bad in construction, let alone permanantly) which would include pedestrians and bike traffic.

I agree this is overdo. This is the way government works though. You realize there's a need for something, study it for 20 years and then maybe do something about it. Meanwhile, the cost of action has now quadrupled and the need you're planning for is even greater than your plan (see canada line). Why do we accept this type of planning? Because we're cheap and short-sighted, just like our governments. We want everything, but don't want to pay for it or be disrupted by it. We want it to just magically appear.

Ok you transit authorities. I am moving to Van, is there a combined skytrain/bus pass? I know the skytrain is about $100 for 2 zone, I'm working downtown next summer so I'm looking for a place that I can take either the skytrain or the bus into work.

All monthly passes are good for buses, seabus and skytrain.

What are they building at the coast meridan in PoCo? is it another bridge?

haven't heard much about it

http://www.portcoquitlam.ca/Discover_Port_Coquitlam/Getting_Around/Transportation_Projects/Coast_Meridian_Overpass_Project.htm

Now under construction, the Coast Meridian Overpass will be a critical new transportation link between north and south Port Coquitlam and for the entire region. The project's Design-Build contract was awarded to SNC-Lavalin Constructors (Pacific) Inc. in January 2008. Construction began in March 2008 and the overpass is scheduled to be open for traffic in March 2010.

The project will:

* Add a third north-south transportation link across the Canadian Pacific Railway yard;

* Improve access to community facilities, commercial services and employment throughout the City;

* Improve emergency response times and reliability;

* Reduce air pollution caused by idling vehicles; and

* Reduce congestion on Lougheed Highway.

http://www.portcoquitlam.ca/Discover_Port_Coquitlam/Getting_Around/Transportation_Projects/Coast_Meridian_Overpass_Project.htm

Now under construction, the Coast Meridian Overpass will be a critical new transportation link between north and south Port Coquitlam and for the entire region. The project's Design-Build contract was awarded to SNC-Lavalin Constructors (Pacific) Inc. in January 2008. Construction began in March 2008 and the overpass is scheduled to be open for traffic in March 2010.

The project will:

* Add a third north-south transportation link across the Canadian Pacific Railway yard;

* Improve access to community facilities, commercial services and employment throughout the City;

:rolleyes:

The project will:

Actually congestion is now worse going westbound thanks to the stupid light at Tim Horton`s. That`s right, timmies needed its own traffic light. If people will sit in a drive thru for 10 minutes for coffee they will drive around the block for it.

They never properly synced the traffic lights so you have 400 feet or so of pavement empty from the first and second light which backs traffic up to Ottowa at certain times of the day. Plus you have quite abit of traffic that turns on to Coast Meridian but they made turn lane between the two lights only. Whoever designed this area did not put much thought into it.

I don't see the point of the Coast Meridian Overpass, it sorta leads you into the industrial part of PoCo doesn't it?

I suppose it's another route downtown?

I think they want to try and divert traffic away from Shaughnessy as it gets really congested in the peak hours and weekends as it only single lane each way. It has been needed for awhile now, glad to see it almost complete.

Edited by Vanuck14

:rolleyes:

As much as you have reason to feel it's dubious to claim road building will improve air quality, one would think that you would support a project that helps mitigate a community cut in two by a highway and railroad. Especially one with sidewalks and bikelanes for multiple means of getting around.

As much as you have reason to feel it's dubious to claim road building will improve air quality, one would think that you would support a project that helps mitigate a community cut in two by a highway and railroad. Especially one with sidewalks and bikelanes for multiple means of getting around.

I honestly know very little about that part of town and what it needs and doesn't need. I probably haven't been to Port Coquitlam in over 5 years? Probably even more.

I'm simply rolling my eyes and the complete lie that more roads somehow equal less congestion, in the long term. And the completely ridiculous notion that more roads = less idling = less pollution. That's so delusional.

I said it before, building more roads to deal with congestion is like loosening your belt buckle to deal with obesity. It might mask the problem for a while, but you're still fat and getting fatter.

I honestly know very little about that part of town and what it needs and doesn't need. I probably haven't been to Port Coquitlam in over 5 years? Probably even more.

I'm simply rolling my eyes and the complete lie that more roads somehow equal less congestion, in the long term. And the completely ridiculous notion that more roads = less idling = less pollution. That's so delusional.

I said it before, building more roads to deal with congestion is like loosening your belt buckle to deal with obesity. It might mask the problem for a while, but you're still fat and getting fatter.

Fair enough, but Port Coquitlam is very much split in two by the highway/train yard. It's almost like two communities, and the only way to get across is through a very congested underpass.

Even you will agree that some roads need to be built. This would be like adding additional overpasses in Burnaby or Surrey to allow local traffic to get from one side to the other without having to mess around with all the highway traffic. Only having one or two heavily congested crossings almost forces people to drive as it greatly increases the distance to bike, walk, or bus if the two points your travelling to don't happen to match up with the existing crossing locations.

In essence, it is a boon to seperating the local traffic from the long distance commuter traffic. If any road project was to claim to reduce idling and air polution, it would be one like this, if only for the significant improvement this will be to all modes of transportation.

anyone know of any job that is similar to being a skytrain personell? u know, those that walk around the stations and checking tickets

i've applied for it but i wanna see if there are other companies that have jobs like these

but i don't mean like paladin security or genesis security things like that

someting government related would be best

anyone know of any job that is similar to being a skytrain personell? u know, those that walk around the stations and checking tickets

i've applied for it but i wanna see if there are other companies that have jobs like these

but i don't mean like paladin security or genesis security things like that

someting government related would be best

train conductor?

Fair enough, but Port Coquitlam is very much split in two by the highway/train yard. It's almost like two communities, and the only way to get across is through a very congested underpass.

Even you will agree that some roads need to be built. This would be like adding additional overpasses in Burnaby or Surrey to allow local traffic to get from one side to the other without having to mess around with all the highway traffic. Only having one or two heavily congested crossings almost forces people to drive as it greatly increases the distance to bike, walk, or bus if the two points your travelling to don't happen to match up with the existing crossing locations.

In essence, it is a boon to seperating the local traffic from the long distance commuter traffic. If any road project was to claim to reduce idling and air polution, it would be one like this, if only for the significant improvement this will be to all modes of transportation.

Yes, connections like these can be built to increase pedestrian traffic, but if that's your goal, then you should just build pedestrian briges like these 2 in Surrey--

http://www.surrey.ca/NR/rdonlyres/770E6A92-321B-4AB4-B63E-E00E778813D5/52181/BPWPioneerOpenHouseBoards_final_reduced.pdf

http://www.surrey.ca/NR/rdonlyres/010AA553-10B9-4C49-8326-28A5C3DE676F/52855/TyneheadBoardsreduced.pdf