The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Transit Thread

nitronuts

In South Korea, they have T-Money cards where you tap your card on a machine on the way in, and then tap one (next to the back doors) on the way out. That's how they do the distance-based pricing.

Smart Card and Fare gates are only the first steps in BC.

We need distance based fare system !

]

In South Korea, they have T-Money cards where you tap your card on a machine on the way in, and then tap one (next to the back doors) on the way out. That's how they do the distance-based pricing.

Yea, I was about to say that. But I've never been able to try that. I'm sure it works fine, but I do wonder where those sensors are located and how sensitive they are as buses can get pretty packed.

I know in Hong Kong, you pay a flat rate...depending on where the bus is along the route.

I know in Hong Kong, you pay a flat rate...depending on where the bus is along the route.

That's not true!

Not a flat rate at all.

The bus rate in HK is like this:

e.g 42A if you take this bus from the first station, they charge you the entire route.

When the bus runs into half of the route, they charge you less.

You would notice that from the sign which changes automatically.

Recreational driving and driving because of work are completely different things. Can you imagine how much more companies will pay if the tax tripled? Profit would be threw the roof, and you can be 100% positive that it wouldn't all go to infrastructure. Hell profit right now is through the roof and it doesn't go there, why would you think it would change? And if they gave rebates or tax breaks to people who have to drive a lot for work, that would be an incredible amount of documentation and paper work to submit through your taxes. Companies would have to be giving out gas cards like candy.

You do realize that Translink has its own separate gas tax apart from the provincial government, right? The one you're talking about is the provincial government, and you're right that it doesn't go into transit. But Translink has its own gas tax, and they get about $250-million a year from it.

I'm not sure why you're calling it a "profit", it's not a profit. Public companies don't profit, every dollar goes back into services and infrastructure. They are called "revenues".

Rebates would be limited to certain industries like construction, trucking, moving, taxis, limousines, and utility handymen like plumbers. It certainly won't be a free for all.

The translink can't just keep charging us money forever. (increasing our property tax. . . )

They have to think of better ways to improve their own system.

Speaking of which. Is the Translink system different than other transportation systems across the world? Are they not using the money as efficiently as they could be? Or is it SIMPLY a matter of not enough money? I'd like to know if we are getting the best bang for our buck, or is there a problem with massive overhead costs and inefficiencies all over the place. It's fine that they need more money, I mean it sucks that they do, but its ok so long as its a real need and not over inflated with bogus claims and over paid management/staff.

That's not true!

Not a flat rate at all.

The bus rate in HK is like this:

e.g 42A if you take this bus from the first station, they charge you the entire route.

When the bus runs into half of the route, they charge you less.

You would notice that from the sign which changes automatically.

That's what I just said, "depending on where you are along the route". ;)

You do realize that Translink has its own separate gas tax apart from the provincial government, right? The one you're talking about is the provincial government, and you're right that it doesn't go into transit. But Translink has its own gas tax, and they get about $250-million a year from it.

I'm not sure why you're calling it a "profit", it's not a profit. Public companies don't profit, every dollar goes back into services and infrastructure. They are called "revenues".

Rebates would be limited to certain industries like construction, trucking, moving, taxis, limousines, and utility handymen like plumbers. It certainly won't be a free for all.

Oh, sorry for the confusion.

I still think it's a retarded idea though, our gas price is high enough. ;)

Speaking of which. Is the Translink system different than other transportation systems across the world? Are they not using the money as efficiently as they could be? Or is it SIMPLY a matter of not enough money? I'd like to know if we are getting the best bang for our buck, or is there a problem with massive overhead costs and inefficiencies all over the place. It's fine that they need more money, I mean it sucks that they do, but its ok so long as its a real need and not over inflated with bogus claims and over paid management/staff.

90-95% is mainly because they simply don't have enough money. There's no steady revenue source for transit and road construction, except when politicians feel like they want to by handing over a big cheque and using it as a ribbon cutting photo opportunity.

5-10% is because of inefficiencies and extra fat. It's a public agency afterall. And I believe Translink's workers have ridiculous benefits and plans, with the highest sick days in the province....thanks to the unions. There have also been a substantial hike in managerial staff wages, it's not much to the overall agency budget but it still adds up.

Pictures by SFU Vancouver:

Descending the steps to the Canada Line area of Waterfront Station.

cline2waterfrontstnstep.jpg

The new ticket level is very nice and leaves an excellent first impression of the transit system as a whole. The existing parts of Waterfront Station, save for the heritage entry hall, is downright ugly by comparison.

cline3waterfrontstation.jpg

The seating used throughout the new line is bizarrely incongruent to the design of the stations.

cline4waterfrontstnugly.jpg

This is where the walkway to the platform jogs 90 degrees and travels underneath Cordova Street. I like the lights a lot, though the space was dim because most of the ceiling lights were out. The high level of finishing on the column from the ticket area is carried on into this space before transitioning into the more utilitarian blue tile motif of the station platform.

cline5waterfrontstnligh.jpg

The curving roofline of the walkway and the platform area are clever ways of take advantage of the climbing topography of Granville Street to add height to the station.

cline6waterfrontstntall.jpg

The platform level of Waterfront Station with a YVR Olympic store ad-wrap on a train.

cline7waterfrontstnolym.jpg

cline7bwaterfrontstnoly.jpg

The wonderfully simple LED display showing the arrival time of the next three trains as well as their destination. I saw this exact same display in Berlin and Paris is installing them in its Metro right now.

cline8waterfrontstnnext.jpg

There is a limited amount of seating at the platform level.

cline9waterfrontstndoub.jpg

Signage.

cline11waterfrontstntra.jpg

Passing through the crossover atrium leading to Vancouver City Centre Station.

cline12crossovertunnel.jpg

Travelling through the round bored tunnel under Granville Street.

cline13roundtunnelfast.jpg

Approaching Vancouver City Centre station.

cline14approachingvcc.jpg

Olympic Village station. I took platform photos on the return trip.

cline15olympicvillagedr.jpg

Broadway-City Hall Station. Sorry for the poor quality. This one came up so quickly after Olympic Village that I wasn’t quite ready with my camera.

cline16broadwaycityhall.jpg

Exiting the tunnel portal just before Marine Drive station.

cline17tunnelportal.jpg

Marine Drive Station.

cline18marinedrivestn.jpg

Approaching the North Arm Bridge.

cline19approachingnorth.jpg

Ascending the North Arm Bridge. The approach to the cycling and pedestrian level of the North Arm Bridge is visible to the right of the guideway.

cline20northarmbridgean.jpg

Leaving Bridgeport Station. The flyover tracks to the airport make this a dramatic piece of civil infrastructure.

cline21flyover.jpg

Approaching the Middle Arm Bridge that leads to Sea Island and the airport.

cline22middlearmbridge.jpg

Approaching Templeton Station.

cline23templetonstn.jpg

Approaching Sea Island Centre station.

cline24seaislandway.jpg

A section of at-grade track on Sea Island. To the right of the guideway is a small windmill, which I thought was neat.

cline25seaislandandwind.jpg

The transition from double track to single track just before YVR station.

cline26yvrdoubletrackto.jpg

YVR station platform.

cline28yvrplatform.jpg

An interior shot showing some of the other tour participants and of the amount of space people take up in the car when they are relaxed. This is as possibly opposed to how people stood around when they boarded the trains at the open house. Also note the LED destination display at the front of the car, just before the accordion joint.

cline30interiorshot.jpg

Sea Island Centre station platform.

cline31seaislandcentrep.jpg

Templeton station platform.

cline32templetonplatfor.jpg

An interior shot of the Canada Line train that illustrates just how much space there is by this set of doors. This is where it is envisioned most people with substantial luggage will stow it, plus there is space for people in wheelchairs and those with bikes.

cline33roomyinteriors.jpg

This is such a simple little detail but I am so glad it was included.

cline34veryimportantsig.jpg

Bridgeport Station platform. This is going to be a busy place.

cline35bridgeportstnpla.jpg

A glimpse down to the mezzanine level of Bridgeport Station.

cline36bridgeportstnmez.jpg

Approaching Lansdowne Station.

cline38lansdownestnappr.jpg

Richmond double track transitions to single track before Richmond Centre-Brighouse station.

cline39richmonddoubletr.jpg

Richmond Centre-Brighouse Station.

cline40bridgeportstnpla.jpg

Aberdeen Station platform.

cline45aberdeenstnplatf.jpg

Marine Drive Station platform.

cline46marinedriveplatf.jpg

Broadway-City Hall Station platform.

cline50broadwaycityhall.jpg

Olympic Village Station platform.

cline51olympicvillagepl.jpg

Looking up from Olympic Village station platform towards the daylight coming from the entrance.

cline52olympicvillagepl.jpg

Waterfront Station connection to the entrance on Pender Street.

cline57waterfrontplatfo.jpg

Close-up of the airport add-fare information on the route map.

cline43airportmapcloseu.jpg

Close-up of the Waterfront Station transit hub portion of the route map.

cline44waterfrontmapclo.jpg

This is such a simple little detail but I am so glad it was included.

cline34veryimportantsig.jpg

...and, according to that sign, no smacking the people who are trying to budge their way in. :P (Or go ahead and smack them. Whatever works.)

Edited by BuckyHermit

European car owners pay a lot more than North American drivers. There are expensive car levy's in most regions, massive gas taxes, massive insurance costs, etc. Don't forget about their road tolls!

They also get twice as much vacation per year or more, can drink in public, and would consider stanley park to be a large forest. What's your point?

In Saudi Arabia they pay penny's a litre. Look, I can snipe stats too.

Build me an autobahn system with no speed limits and you can go ahead and double the cost to drive.

Horrible! Distance-based is fair? How about the people that have to travel from jobsite to jobsite every day, sometimes in complete different cities. We already have one of the highest gas prices in Canada, this is a horrible horrible idea.

They would be using the road infrastructure more than the average person, and be contributing co2 to the air more than the average person, why shouldn't they pay more than the average person? Pretty much everything else you pay for is per amount used. What next, flay electric bill?

Yea, I was about to say that. But I've never been able to try that. I'm sure it works fine, but I do wonder where those sensors are located and how sensitive they are as buses can get pretty packed.

It works cause if you don't swipe your card on the way out, it remembers where you are so when you re-enter the system the next time, it just charges you then. It works like a charm, never had a problem with it in Seoul. You can recharge your card at any 7-11 or street kiosk or whatever. Very efficient.

Vancouver really doesn't have that much traffic that we need to implement tolls on every bridge...... Hit up any big city in NA and it's usually much worse. Build the transportation system so its more convenient for people, and more people will start using it. Forcing people to use it by tolling will just leave you with one very unhappy and angry population.