The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Transit Thread

nitronuts

“Having a high-speed link to Seattle, Portland and points further south will help get more vehicles off the road, provide an attractive tourist option and create significant economic opportunities,” Mayor Robertson said.

lolz

It might get some planes out of the sky. MIGHT.

“Having a high-speed link to Seattle, Portland and points further south will help get more vehicles off the road, provide an attractive tourist option and create significant economic opportunities,” Mayor Robertson said.

lolz

It might get some planes out of the sky. MIGHT.

Doesn't the Shinkansen help in that regard in Japan?

Doesn't the Shinkansen help in that regard in Japan?

Last I checked some lines were in peril due to competition with planes.

What percentage of I-5/99 traffic is going between Seattle/Portland and Vancouver vs. say intra city commuters? I would say the number (excluding freight who doesn't care about passenger rail) would be a small percentage. Even if all of them took high speed frequently running passenger trains the effect on local traffic volumes would be negilible.

Hence the lolz.

U Pass article

U-PASS BC TO SAVE STUDENTS ON TRANSIT FARES

VANCOUVER – B.C. is the first province in Canada to offer an affordable, universal U-Pass transit program to students at all publicly funded post-secondary institutions, Premier Gordon Campbell announced today.

“This fulfils our commitment to establish a universal U-Pass program for all students studying at B.C. colleges and universities,” said Premier Campbell. “Students will enjoy the benefits of discounted transit passes to help with the costs of getting to and from school.”

Once implemented, U-Pass BC will be the most comprehensive student transit program in Canada, providing significant savings for students. In Metro Vancouver, post-secondary students will pay $30 per month for a system-wide U-Pass, compared to $81 they would pay for a monthly pass. Students will have the opportunity to vote in referenda on whether to join the new U-Pass BC Program.

Starting Sept. 1, 2010, U-Pass rates at Langara College and Capilano University will be decreased to $30 per month. Rates for students at the University of British Columbia and Simon Fraser University will stay as they are now until Sept. 1, 2011, when they will be eligible to enjoy the same subsidized rates as other students.

“Not only will the U-Pass BC Program make transit more affordable for post secondary students, it will create a transit culture resulting in more people leaving their cars in the driveway, leading to less congestion and reduced greenhouse gas emissions,” said Transportation and Infrastructure Minister Shirley Bond.

“The Province and TransLink are to be congratulated for implementing a common U-Pass program for Metro Vancouver at an attractive price,” said Nimmi Takkar, Canadian Federation of Students’ B.C. Chairperson. “Affordable transit will be of tremendous benefit to post-secondary students in British Columbia and the communities where they live.”

“The new U-Pass BC program is a great opportunity for students in our region and the province as a whole, and the partnership that made it all happen opens up great new opportunities for us to move forward and fulfill our region’s transportation goals,” said chair of the Mayors’ Council on Regional Transportation and the mayor of the City of Langley Peter Fassbender. “The Province, TransLink and regional partners have created something that will generate sustained, widespread and long-term benefits right across Metro Vancouver.”

The Province will invest over $20 million through April 2013 to support implementation of the U-Pass BC Program in Metro Vancouver. In all other regions, the Province will provide funding as required to ensure the U-Pass rate remains below $30 per month or to enable new institutions to join the U-Pass BC program at existing rates.

“The U-Pass program has the potential to help almost 439,000 students across B.C. achieve their educational goals,” said Moira Stilwell, Minister of Advanced Education and Labour Market Development. “I’m so pleased we’ve been able to work with our partners to support so many of our students.”

The U-Pass BC Program is a partnership of the Province, TransLink, BC Transit, local governments, post secondary institutions and students.

-30-

For more information on government services or to subscribe to the Province’s news feeds using RSS, visit the Province’s website at www.gov.bc.ca.

BACKGROUNDER

For Immediate Release

2010PREM0119-000675

June 9, 2010

Office of the Premier

Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure

U-PASS BC AND POST SECONDARY EDUCATION

· There are 26 publicly funded post-secondary institutions in British Columbia with a total student population of approximately 439,000.

· Post secondary institutions currently with the U-Pass BC program:

o Metro Vancouver:

· University of British Columbia

· Simon Fraser University

· Capilano University

· Langara College

o Rest of B.C.

· University of Victoria

· Camosun College

· College of the Rockies

· Thompson Rivers University

· College of New Caledonia

· University of the Fraser Valley

· University of Northern British Columbia

· University of British Columbia, Okanagan

· Post secondary institutions with option to join U-Pass BC Program:

o Metro Vancouver

· Vancouver Community College

· Douglas College

· Emily Carr University

· Kwantlen Polytechnic University

· Justice Institute of British Columbia

· British Columbia Institute of Technology

· Nicola Valley Institute of Technology (Burnaby Campus)

o Rest of B.C.

· Royal Roads University

· Okanagan College

· Nicola Valley Institute of Technology

· North Island College

· Northern Lights College

· Northwest Community College

· Selkirk College

· Vancouver Island University

I could understand the optics of having a $30 flat rate for the U-Pass within Translink jurisdiction, but the rest of the province too? The $30 rate might work for Translink (albeit the transit system is already quite strained and more or less at capacity during rush hour), but does it really work for BC Transit too?

I could understand the optics of having a $30 flat rate for the U-Pass within Translink jurisdiction, but the rest of the province too? The $30 rate might work for Translink (albeit the transit system is already quite strained and more or less at capacity during rush hour), but does it really work for BC Transit too?

Define work?

http://www.vancouversun.com/technology/Critics+hours+Port+Mann+Bridge+toll+unreasonable/3140252/story.html

I don't understand why they don't just have a few lanes with old fashioned toll booths for those who drive it infrequently and want to pay cash. I was expecting that when I drove over the Golden Ears bridge about 2 months ago, I still haven't got a bill or anything... Seems like they're making administrative work for the bureaucratic hell of it.

It is unreasonable to expect motorists who use the Port Mann Bridge to pay tolls within 48 hours, say critics of a video processing fee that could see tolls hiked to $5 from around $3.

The short time frame troubles drivers who might not have access to a computer or phone to pay their bill within two days, or those who simply forget as they go about their busy lives.

Warren Gill, a professor of geography and transportation at Simon Fraser University, welcomed the $2.85 toll on cars as a good incentive for drivers to take alternative forms of transportation but said it is unreasonable to hike the fee for those who don’t pay within 48 hours.

“A $3 toll is not a bad toll but if you are me — someone who doesn’t use the bridge very often — and I drive across and then have 48 hours to pay? This is absolutely crazy,” said Gill.

According to a provincial government concession agreement, the price for cars to cross the Port Mann Bridge will $2.85.

The toll for small trucks will be $5.70, $8.55 for large trucks and $1.45 for motorcycles.

But the government has also added a video processing fee, which means if motorists don’t pay within 48 hours they will get a bill in the mail with a penalty of $2.30 added, making their total $5.15.

The idea is that drivers will cross the bridge and then pay online within two days.

But Gill said people who don’t know how to use a computer, or choose not to own one, or even those who don’t have easy access to the Internet would be discriminated against, should the government stick to the 48-hour time limit to pay.

The Transportation Ministry says people will also have the option of paying by phone, but Gill suggested the grace period should be at least a month to allow some people to mail in their payment.

“It’s going to be an administrative nightmare,” said Surrey Mayor Dianne Watts, who favours a toll booth.

“I don’t believe people will pay in 48 hours. I think everyone leads very busy lives and the last thing they are going to think of when they are busy with their family and jobs and life is paying a toll online.

“It’s just not practical.”

She said she also wants to see a free lane for motorists who are willing to spend time lining up for it.

By using an electronic system instead of toll booths on the Port Mann, the Transportation Ministry is following in the footsteps of TransLink’s Golden Ears Bridge, which has been open for a year and a half.

Although the two bridges have similar toll rates, Golden Ears does not include a video processing fee when it bills motorists who are not registered through TransLink.

There is a two-per-cent interest rate for users who don’t pay on time, but that kicks in after 15 days, said Ken Hardie, a spokesman for TransLink.

There are three options to pay the toll on Golden Ears. Unregistered users pay the highest rate, at $3.90.

Drivers with transponders in their cars have the money deducted from an account and pay the least, at $2.75. People who register their vehicles online through TransLink still get billed $3.30.

If a driver racks up $25 in unpaid bridge tolls, ICBC will hold re-registration of a vehicle until the amount is paid.

Another concern Gill has about the Port Mann toll is how the video processing fee will be communicated to the public.

Golden Ears posts a sign alerting travellers that the bridge is tolled. However, Gill said it could be confusing for out-of-town drivers or those who rarely cross the bridge and haven’t heard about the electronic system.

He said it is unrealistic to expect everyone to read a sign warning them they have 48 hours to pay a bill.

Jeff Knight, a spokesman for the Transportation Ministry, could not say whether a sign — including a web address and directions on how to pay the toll to avoid an extra fee — would be posted on the Port Mann.

But he said by the 2012 opening date, people will be aware of the charge.

“There will be communication with the public so they know before the tolls go into place,” he said.

Hardie said the purpose of electronic tolling is to avoid disrupting the flow of traffic.

The electronic tolling system on the Port Mann will also be designed to be compatible with TransLink’s system on the Golden Ears Bridge, the Transportation Ministry said.

I don't understand why they don't just have a few lanes with old fashioned toll booths for those who drive it infrequently and want to pay cash. I was expecting that when I drove over the Golden Ears bridge about 2 months ago, I still haven't got a bill or anything... Seems like they're making administrative work for the bureaucratic hell of it.

Me neither. Even if it was only one lane for out of towners and the like.

That said eventually the whole south fraser screen line (and who knows what else, downtown congestion tax anyone) will be in and anyone that lives in the Lower Mainland is going to end up with one.

Translink is looking at further Commercial-Broadway stations capacity improvements, including a wider overpass over Broadway and an outboard platform for Broadway Station. An outboard platform is also known as the "Spanish Solution".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_solution

220px-Spaanse_methode.svg.png

This means there would be a third platform at Broadway Station for the inbound track (on the Safeway side, currently where the concrete wall is). As inbound/Downtown trains arrive into Broadway, the doors would open on the new outbound platform first to let passengers exit. Then the doors on the other side would open to let passengers in. This would largely resolve the crowding and circulation issues seen at Broadway Station, and I would imagine that an inboard platform would eventually be built as well for the other Broadway track to the suburbs.

Safeway has plans to demolish and redevelop their site, making space available for such a major station expansion. And there's an alleyway on the other side of the track for such an expansion as well.

Exit/entrance platforms are quite common in Europe.

More Spanish Solution examples:

800px-M%C3%BCnchen_Marienplatz.jpg

799px-Metro_Paris_-_Ligne_6_-_station_Etoile_01.jpg

Translink is looking at further Commercial-Broadway stations capacity improvements, including a wider overpass over Broadway and an outboard platform for Broadway Station. An outboard platform is also known as the "Spanish Solution".

http://en.wikipedia....panish_solution

220px-Spaanse_methode.svg.png

This means there would be a third platform at Broadway Station for the inbound track (on the Safeway side, currently where the concrete wall is). As inbound/Downtown trains arrive into Broadway, the doors would open on the new outbound platform first to let passengers exit. Then the doors on the other side would open to let passengers in. This would largely resolve the crowding and circulation issues seen at Broadway Station, and I would imagine that an inboard platform would eventually be built as well for the other Broadway track to the suburbs.

Safeway has plans to demolish and redevelop their site, making space available for such a major station expansion. And there's an alleyway on the other side of the track for such an expansion as well.

Exit/entrance platforms are quite common in Europe.

More Spanish Solution examples:

800px-M%C3%BCnchen_Marienplatz.jpg

799px-Metro_Paris_-_Ligne_6_-_station_Etoile_01.jpg

I have a feeling new riders and idiots will try to get on through the wrong side.

I have a feeling new riders and idiots will try to get on through the wrong side.

Impossible, considering the outboard platform would be sealed with "exit only" fare gates.

The doors on the outboard side will open first, and after maybe 5 or 10 secs the inboard doors will open to allow passengers in.

Impossible, considering the outboard platform would be sealed with "exit only" fare gates.

The doors on the outboard side will open first, and after maybe 5 or 10 secs the inboard doors will open to allow passengers in.

I think the outboard platform is a bad idea. The current system is fine so why waste taxpayer money on construction? Also, I would be saddened if they demolished the Safeway near Broadway and Commercial.

I think the outboard platform is a bad idea. The current system is fine so why waste taxpayer money on construction? Also, I would be saddened if they demolished the Safeway near Broadway and Commercial.

Why is it a bad idea? It's a proven feature that works in many other train systems.

The current system is fine. That's right. Current. And that's because they recently extended the platform for the new additional Broadway Station entrance at 10th Avenue and they also relocated the elevator that had been blocking the entrance into the pedestrian overpass.

But Translink is finally thinking in the long-term. Broadway Station as is will have major issues, Translink is expecting an onslaught of commuters to transfer onto the Millennium Line at Broadway when the UBC extension is complete. There's also additional traffic from the Evergreen Line and Canada Line to deal with on the Expo Line at Broadway Station with the future Millennium Line extension.

Currently, about 150,000 people use Commercial-Broadway Stations each weekday.

Where else will I buy my groceries?

The old Safeway may be demolished...but it doesn't mean a new Safeway won't be rebuilt on the site.

Safeway plans to demolish their site for a new store on the east side of the lot where the parking lots are today, and there will be a highrise on top of it.

I see this Safeway all the time but I have never been inside it. Is it one of the better looking Safeways?

They did some interior reno's to it, and it looks ok. I prefer the one on Kingsway near Burnaby, as they done some serious reno's in there, and it looks excellent on the inside.