The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Transit Thread

nitronuts

I already posted that empty promise on friday.

It's meaningless seeing as it has been 10 years of promising to build the evergreen line and it *might* only get started next year. I talked with someone from translink, they have no money for the evergreen line much less the already promised pattulo--there's on way the ubc line or langley line is getting built short of some massive federal or provincial monies coming in.

just empty promises from a dying leader. don't let the car door hit you on the way out to the pub campbell....

My bad, I should have read more in the thread but it is so long. Well the only alternative to Cambell right now is the NDP and are they really much better on this?

Because it bleeds less money than turnstiles at the current moment.

Good. For bonus marks, what could be done to improve revenue at the lowest experenditure/increase safety ratio?

I am guessing hire more people to check for tickets and do spot checks. It should be a gold mine if it's a problem so just get it all equilised. Best balance you can get imo.

• 4 weeks later...

Need to get from Abbotsford to Empire Field.

I can get all way to the SFU in Surrey, after that I'm kinda stuck on what to do. I know I'll end up getting on the sky train, not sure where to get off. Or what bus[es] to take.

Not to sound like a jerk, but it's quite easy to use the TripPlanner button on the Translink site. However, here's the quickest way, as suggested by Translink.ca:

1) Expo Line to Columbia (8 min.)

2) Millenium Line to Gilmore (20 min.)

3) Bus #28 to "WESTBOUND E HASTINGS ST AT SKEENA ST" (8 min.)

So total of 36 minutes of transiting. Hope that helps.

so anyone here going to do the name the farecard contest? WHAT ARE YOUR SUGGESTION???

you could win a ipod touch/ipad and free year of transit free!

I entered about two and a half weeks ago lol. I'll post my entry after the winner is named.

Last I heard, about 5 days ago, there have been 25,000 entries and counting....best of luck, lol.

We'll see lol, I'm gonna put in one or two more entries. And now I see I'm gonna have to get a parental consent form signed, curses! I wonder if my first entry still counts then as long as I get the consent form in...

Edited by Dellins

Bombardier is currently in the process of developing the new generation of the Mark ART series car, the Mark III. Vancouver's SkyTrain system currently utilizes the Mark I's and the newer Mark II's. The recent batch of new cars are Mark II's.

We could be seeing this sweet new baby riding the rails after 2011...it's

picture1c.png

Along with the 10 new engineers hired to work on it, a team of about 60 people in total will be involved in the project, he said.

"Our plan is to put (the prototype) on our test track here in the spring of 2011. It will go under a rigorous testing plan, typically that lasts anywhere from four to six months."

Further construction would depend on the orders that arrive.

He said the new vehicle is bigger and wider than past models and has bigger windows. "It has a much more open feel."

He said the inside of the vehicle will have many features to please passengers, such as enter-t a i n m e nt and information screens.

Bombardier is currently in the process of developing the new generation of the Mark ART series car, the Mark III. Vancouver's SkyTrain system currently utilizes the Mark I's and the newer Mark II's. The recent batch of new cars are Mark II's.

We could be seeing this sweet new baby riding the rails after 2011...it's

picture1c.png

Along with the 10 new engineers hired to work on it, a team of about 60 people in total will be involved in the project, he said.

"Our plan is to put (the prototype) on our test track here in the spring of 2011. It will go under a rigorous testing plan, typically that lasts anywhere from four to six months."

Further construction would depend on the orders that arrive.

He said the new vehicle is bigger and wider than past models and has bigger windows. "It has a much more open feel."

He said the inside of the vehicle will have many features to please passengers, such as enter-t a i n m e nt and information screens.

Neato. I vote we buy some. THAT will be good use of tax dollars.

Are the MK1s being phased out right now, or are they still in use?

Bombardier hasn't been making Mark I's for about 14 years. Translink currently plans to continue using the Mark I fleet, depending on the batch and when they were ordered (mid-80s/late-80s/early-90s/mid-90s) they have between 15-25 years in lifespan left if they receive a mid-life retrofit sometime over the next few years.