The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What are you listening to?

Rate this topic

This is pretty good. However, the drums on this track are about the simplest/most old-school that I think I've heard on any of your selections, VIC!

Yeah, Amorphis' drumming isn't nearly as technical as a lot of metal bands. It doesn't really need to be though, as they aim more for memorable melodies and hooks rather than technicality. I'm a sucker for melody :P

Back to Dark Tranquillity. I just can't get enough of this album's feral atmosphere of desperation. Quite the difference from the band's more restrained and keyboard-driven recent material (which is good in its own right)

I'm a sucker for melody :P

Haha!! No offense, Vic, but I love the irony of your "melody" quote followed by the DT, which has no vocal melody at all, though it does have a little melody in the guitars.

Edit: was the irony intentional? The :P may suggest so...

Edited by Bronyaur

Haha!! No offense, Vic, but I love the irony of your "melody" quote followed by the DT, which has no vocal melody at all, though it does have a little melody in the guitars.

I was referring to guitar melody moreso than vocally. DT is one of the progenitors of the melodic death metal genre, so instrumentally they're very heavily melody-based. The Mind's I was more thrashy than their other albums, but the melody is still apparent.

Edited by VICanucksfan5551

I was referring to guitar melody moreso than vocally. DT is one of the progenitors of the melodic death metal genre, so instrumentally they're very heavily melody-based. The Mind's I was more thrashy than their other albums, but the melody is still apparent.

As suggested by my post, I do agree. But I was still mildly amused. Most people think strictly of vocals when they think of melody in "songs". Obviously, you are beyond that (as am I, also obviously, though I'm not as deep into the crazy vocals as you are).

As suggested by my post, I do agree. But I was still mildly amused. Most people think strictly of vocals when they think of melody in "songs". Obviously, you are beyond that (as am I, also obviously, though I'm not as deep into the crazy vocals as you are).

It's not as if I posted a grindcore song or something. Now THAT would have been some intentional irony after the melody comment :P. Harsh vocals are a bit of an acquired taste, but I find that they add a different dimension in terms of impact and emotions that clean vocals cannot achieve. I also love the contrast between growled/screamed vocals and almost singlalong riffs that occurs so often in melodeath.

And now for something completely different:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9NrTlz37u4