The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Offer Their Reaction On Raffi Torres Suspension

The Horvatian One

Just let me start out by saying that I think Torres is the phenom as far as body checking is concerned and he is getting screwed because of it . Guys like Hossa get hit in the head because they are leading with their head, does that mean they should be untouchable?

What a gutless suspension. In case you havent figured it out, the NHL allows media to dictate the severity of the suspensions, Places like Boston and Chicago have media that are not impartial at all, they whip up a frenzy whenever someone "wrongs" their team. This scares the crap out of the NHL brass. So they take action.

I think one reason we get screwed is because of our "responsible" media. And,of course, the fact that we are not in a high profile U.S. market.

I know, I realise that but let's try to take it in isolation. The guy is a serial head hunter who won't learn.

I think Keith should have been given a longer suspension and the Weber fine was ridiculous. It is because of how I felt about Keith's hit on Danny that I am glad Torres got this suspension. Keith's though bad enough was an isolated out of character hit...........Torres on the other hand goes around the league spreading these concussive hits like confetti.

Why can the people on here never walk in the other guys shoes. How long a suspension would they have been crying out for if this hit had been on Henrik..........would we seriously NOT MENTION his history or his previously unlearned lessons? Come on.

We would have been looking for a sine die suspension or the death penalty

I also think it was unwise for the Canucks to make any comment publicly. Have we not learned from previous public comments and what the media (especially those who don't like the Canucks) does with these comments. Lu's harmless comment about TT comes to mind.

Am I the only one who sees 25 games for a serial headhunter who won't take a telling as fair?

There were multiple rule infringements, and a history of multiple rule infringements but Raffi just keeps banging those heads with his shoulder/elbow and welcoming his opponents to the world of concussion............you know, that's the world where you wake up with headaches, eyesight problems, dizziness and unsteadiness. The world where you may be out for a couple of weeks or 6 months or more.

The world where if you are really unlucky you become more susceptible to the next hit and it has greater repercussions.

What happens when he ends a career or kills someone. What happens if his next hit is Danny and it ends his career? I'm sure the hypocrites on CDC would be wanting to lynch him and Shanahan for continually letting him off lightly.

The NHL is trying to stamp these hits out. Raffi obviously thinks the rules don't apply to him, well maybe this suspension will finally get through to him..............maybe.

While I hear your point, hockey is a contact sport that is also very fast and injuries are going to happen. When I look at this hit by Raffi and his hit on Seabrook last year I see questionable hits that are not particularly dirty, the thing is that Raffi hits like a truck and on the Hossa hit he leaves his feet. He makes sure he never gets his elbow up because he knows that he could kill somebody because of how hard he hits. Players need to keep their head up, that's drilled into every hockey players head, if you're not aware of who's on the ice and where people are around you, you're going to get smoked , that's hockey and that's the way it should be.

I'm not saying Raffi shouldn't have been suspended, he does leave his feet, but to me that was more or less a hockey play. As has been pointed out many any others, when you compare this incident with all the other crap that has gone on recently and the disciplinary action that was illicited, it is obvious that the 25 games is based on Raffis rep, the resulting injury, and the fact that he's not a key player for the yotes. While a players history should be considered in suspensions, injury shouldn't since severe injury can result from a clean hit while no injury can occur from a totally dirty play...intent should matter, not necessarily the outcome. Also, while it is obviously hard to suspend star payers for any length of time it needs to be done otherwise the message is basically that if you want to hurt someone just have your stars do it.

Trying to stamp this out, yet give Mr. Keith a light rest before playoffs? The amount is fine for Raffi, but the inconsistencies of the games given for most players is rediculous and really doesn't discourage anything until you've done it quite a number of times.

Just let me start out by saying that I think Torres is the phenom as far as body checking is concerned and he is getting screwed because of it . Guys like Hossa get hit in the head because they are leading with their head, does that mean they should be untouchable?

What a gutless suspension. In case you havent figured it out, the NHL allows media to dictate the severity of the suspensions, Places like Boston and Chicago have media that are not impartial at all, they whip up a frenzy whenever someone "wrongs" their team. This scares the crap out of the NHL brass. So they take action.

I think one reason we get screwed is because of our "responsible" media. And,of course, the fact that we are not in a high profile U.S. market.

I've been watching hockey for a long time. I'm concerned for the players when you hear a statement "It's part of the game, but I hope Hossa is okay"

Taking a run at someone’s head with deliberate intent to injure isn't part of the game. I grew up watching hockey and it was never like that. I disagree and agree with AV. The hit on Hossa wasn't a late hit, it was a blatant deliberate targeted shot to Hossa’s head. The same with Daniel S.

Keith got 5 games and Torres got 25. Torres 3rd infraction and Keith’s 1rst. (at least it's the first he's been nailed for).

I like hardcore intense hockey but wow common! Their families are watching the games. If I was a hockey player, I wouldn't want my wife, Daughter or son watching me get hit so hard in the head I'm knocked out; taken off with a stretcher. Some players have no respect for others and have no business being in the game.

The penalties for their infractions are too arbitrary. Punishment should be tiered and all players given the same amount. (3 strikes and you are out for 3 years.) 1rst infraction 10 games, second 25 and third, you're done in the NHL for 3 years. They aren't a bunch of kids, they know the difference between right and wrong so how do they get it to stop? Drop the hammer down before someone gets killed or permanently disabled.

It's all about being preventive and pro-active. You're not going to succeed that by giving out a $2500 fine to a hockey player that makes millions of dollars or a one or two game suspensions and then dole out the heavy penalties after they have repeat offences. Some of these players clearly aren't getting the message.

Sadly, it won't stop. It doesn’t matter what we say here or what the public says in general, This will continue to be a problem, until the day comes when a player is permanently disabled or killed.

Hockey players have to be diplomats in their responses to this topic when asked about it in interviews. It would be interesting to know what they really think.

i don't think it's so much about the stretcher as it is about raffi's history. he's been dirty for years, and doesn't care about short suspensions. it's funny how everyone here was crying for long suspensions for repeat offenders just three days ago, and now that it's an ex-canuck you're all freaking out.

I have some really good buddies in Chicago where I used to live and they are obviously elated about the term, but then they give me sh*t about the Sedin cheap shot. Their reply is "Keith was a first time offender and served his time, Raffi is a POS and deserves this." Really? AV is ABSOLUTELY right on this one. One is the continuation of a hockey play, while the other is a blatant attempt to injure. They agree that Keith's hit was dirty, but also whine that Hossa is out. Even they both think the series with LA would be different had Dank been in the whole time. It just seems like hypocrisy to me on Shanaban's part. In the words of Foster the People, "Call It What You Want."

And if the Coyote's manage to go all the way to the SCF and bring every series to a game 7 conclusion he will lose none of his 22 or so thousand per game pay cheque. I am pretty sure this is a big reason why they slapped such a lenghty suspension on him. The previous suspensions have not worked as a deterrent perhaps a big financial loss might.

Quote - "What happens when he ends a career or kills someone. What happens if his next hit is Danny and it ends his career?". Waaaaaa !

Come on, Bodee - these guy are pro hockey players, they know the risks when they sign their multi-million dollar contracts.

Raffi is being made the scapegoat here. Perfect guy to make an example of .... Problem is, although the outcome was unfortunate for Hossa, the hit was borderline at worst. So in the end, it's really "who you are" and "what injury came as a result" that matter. Gimme a break,

Remember, you take fighting and hitting out of hockey, all you are left with is SOCCER on ice. Diving, theatrics and no honour in the game, where the only fights involve hooligans in riots after the game. Hey wait a minute, maybe we are already there ...

I think the long suspension is for a number of reasons.

1) The ugly image the NHL has generated for itself the first week of the NHL playoffs with all the dirty plays and bad hits. They're setting an example with Torres. "From here on out, we're getting tougher." Probably.

2) The stretcher and seriousness of the injury + the bigger viewing audience in the Playoffs compared to regular season.

3) Torres has a long history of commiting bad hits like this, and that's a huge factor.

I personally don't think 25 games for Torres is too much, however it makes all the other suspensions so far in the regular season and the playoffs so far look like a slap on the wrist by comparison. Extremely inconsistent. Weber gets a small fine. Plays just as severe get 1 to 5 games suspension... Then suddenly 25 games?

As a Canucks fan, what ticks me off the most is that Duncan Keith's hit was far more blatantly intent to injur against Daniel Sedin and may have very well been the biggest factor in killing our 2012 playoffs (though there are clearly other issues contributing to that as well). Keith got a 5 game suspension, regular season. All of the factors in Torres' hit (other than his long history of dirty hits) were far worse in Keith's hit on Sedin. And if being a top player (a star) has anything to do with it, clearly Sedin and Vancouver has been given the message, "Sorry guys. Despite your impressive trophies, you're not important to the NHL like eastern teams and star players. If it costs you a run for the cup... No big deal."

Archived