The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Go Big

*Reasoning for everything: team scored 16 goals in last 12 playoff games - we need offense, and even if it means bringing in a player with below average defensive skill.*

Sign:

• Shane Doan: 2 years, $10 million; $5 mill per year

- He is the top priority of the Canucks to pursue next and is just a perfect fit who will complete our 2nd line

• Alex Semin: 1 year, $5 million

- 'Try out' type contract. He can score, all we need him to do, and if he really is as bad as people say he is (he's not btw..), we can let him walk next July. Also, he's had the 4th best +/- for forwards in the past 4 years so that really tells you a lot about how much he 'sucks' defensively. Even if he was with a powerhouse Caps, he played alongside Ovie who's also said to be poor defensively so there goes that excuse. Plus, if it is bad, who cares - puck will be in the offensive zone and teams won't be able to get out of their own zone.

Pros:

- as an accurate and fast of a shot you will see

- game breaking skill and talent

- speedy forward who can slice past defenders and open up space for teammates

Cons:

- defense lacking

- lazy at times

- won't sacrifice his body / one dimensional player (offensive player, kinda like Radulov)

Overall:

- Its a big risk, especially when you have to invest big money into him. He will rack up the points without a doubt, but if he doesn't fix his attitude for playing/improving on his 2 way game and effort, it can cause some trouble but nonetheless if he did sign, we'd just have another Raymond, much much much more skilled - one of the slickest forwards in the game - so it wouldn't be that bad.

Personally:

Me personally, I'd get him. Who cares about if he doesn't back check - we need a top 6 forward to improve our goal scoring, Canucks scored 16 goals in past 12 playoff games, and playing alongside Kesler and Booth/Higgins, they're hard working players who can hold off the opposition defending enough for Semin to come back and help them out as much as he can, even if it's nothing, better to have a player infront of an opposition player creating an obstacle.

We need more goal scorers and if Doan doesn't sign with us, Semin would surely be my next top priority to get. If Doan does sign and Lu is gone / even more cap space, I'd still try to get Semin to improve even more.

Semin - Kesler - Doan = unreal.

I don't think we would have the cap space to sign both of your desired wingers at that salary.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)

David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

Chris Higgins ($1.900m) / Jordan Schroeder ($1.025m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Aaron Volpatti ($0.600m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Steve Pinizzotto ($0.600m)

Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) /

Andrew Ebbett ($0.600m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)

Alexander Edler ($3.250m) / Jason Garrison ($4.600m)

Keith Ballard ($4.200m) / Andrew Alberts ($1.225m)

Alex Petrovic ($0.870m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)

GOALTENDERS

Cory Schneider ($4.000m)

Jose Theodore ($1.500m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,540,000; BONUSES: $265,000

CAP SPACE (24-man roster): $6,660,000

Guest BuckFoston

Hmm, the title of this thread is very similar to e mails I often get in my spam folder. The quality of the content is about the same too.

Archived