The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Most valuable teams according to forbes

spacekadet

I dont disagree with soccer. Soccer is probably the biggest sport in the world. It just surprises me that football Which i see as a purely American sport gets every team on their and not places like vancouver montreal boston ny toronto. I see hockey as a bigger global market than football.

But that's not why the teams are valued so much higher, it is only because the NFL teams get a cut of the massive TV deals that the NFL has. About 2/3rds of all revenue comes from TV, with the other 1/3rd coming from ticket, jersey sales and other streams. The NFL knows how to sell it's product much better than any of the other North American sports, and the team owners are the beneficiaries.

As he said, NFL is way more popular than NHL. If NHL were popular it would have TV deals. Right now the only national broadcast deal the NHL has is NBC Sports and that is a premium only channel. There is a reason ESPN didn't renew their broadcast deal: nobody watches hockey in the US.

The US market has the benefit of numbers, but put hockey fans in terms of the percentage of the population compared with other sports nobody cares. I don't even know if hockey beats out soccer down there.

Archived