The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Case for Lowe in HHOF

VanNuck

This season, Neidermayer, Blake, Shannahan, and Chelios are all but foregone conclusions for the HHOF, but I want to raise the case for a rather unheralded candidate.

For starters, if Scott Stevens, Rod Langway, or Mark Howe could get in, Lowe deserves consideration. As a player, he almost holds his own against these guys - none of whom are renown scorers, but all of them are extremely effective players in their own right.

In overall accomplishments, Lowe has won more Cups than all three put together, and by doing so, helped put more people (from Gretzky to Leetch) into the Hall. And during his one season as the Oilers' captain, he led a relatively unheralded squad to the third round of playoffs, upsetting Gretzky's Kings and Linden's Canucks in the process. He's done more than perhaps Anderson, Coffey, or possibly even Fuhr to make the Oilers a dynasty, and was completely indispensable in the Rangers' breaking their Curse of 1940 (along with the windows on Robson Street).

Not stopping here, Lowe immediately became coach for the Oilers after playing, and not long afterward became GM. While he hasn't as much success in that role, he did help fashion a team that would go on a Stanley Cup run in 2006.

Lowe is one of the most underrated, underappreciated guys ever to play, but it takes selfless, unspectacular guys like this to make champions, and that's why I want to see him get into the Hall someday.

Hmm, and if it weren't for Taylor Hall, he'd have no excuse not to put his #4 into the rafters.

I won't say much on the topic, as I never got to see Lowe play, I was born in 89

But what I do have to say is I've met Kevin Lowe twice, and he is one of the classiest gentlemen I've ever met in my life, signed my autograph and made an effort to talk to me, and shake my hand. It was truly a unique experience. Most players ive met treat you like nothing, he treats you like you are a very important part of his life.

I won't say much on the topic, as I never got to see Lowe play, I was born in 89

But what I do have to say is I've met Kevin Lowe twice, and he is one of the classiest gentlemen I've ever met in my life, signed my autograph and made an effort to talk to me, and shake my hand. It was truly a unique experience. Most players ive met treat you like nothing, he treats you like you are a very important part of his life.

Archived