The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Reality Check

westvandude

I heard someone on tv suggest this playoff format once. Seemed kind of interesting.

Let the #1 seed choose who they want to play out of the 7 lower seeds.

Then the 2nd seed picks next and so on.

Would certainly make for interesting story lines about teams ducking other teams. Especially when you have to face them in later rounds.

I heard someone on tv suggest this playoff format once. Seemed kind of interesting.

Let the #1 seed choose who they want to play out of the 7 lower seeds.

Then the 2nd seed picks next and so on.

Would certainly make for interesting story lines about teams ducking other teams. Especially when you have to face them in later rounds.

--------------

And any management group that picks a team to play and loses in the first round will get slaughtered by the media and fans!

If it wasn't for the change up in the playoff format next year (no more 8th seeds), I think it is something that we would start seeing more and more. With the salary cap system there is less of a difference between the top seed and the 8th seed than there ever was before.

I take back what I said earlier. Although it felt like parity had made it so there was little difference from 1st to 8th, L.A.'s win was more of an anomaly than I gave it credit for.

I went back and looked at all the Stanley Cup Champs since the cap came in and what seed they were...

2006 - Carolina - 2nd seed

2007 - Anaheim - 2nd seed

2008 - Detroit - 1st seed

2009 - Pittsburgh - 4th seed

2010 - Chicago - 2nd seed

2011 - Frikkin' Boston - 3rd seed

2012 - L.A. - 8th seed

So it turns out the regular season isn't as much a waste of time as thought. Those who win their division certainly have an edge.

So hopefully the Canucks can pull up their socks and at least get that division title back.

Archived