The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Drafting?

Honky Cat

You hear all the time about how the Canucks have had such dismal drafting...Since 1999(The Sedins),we have only had two picks in the the top ten of the draft...Luc Bourdon and Cody Hodgson(both picked 10th overall).

It's been thirteen years since we've been able to pick a top ten bona fide rookie..The scouting department has found a few gems later in the draft,and a few surprises(Chris Tanev)..Has our drafting really been that bad?

It's not as bad as some people think. Hodgson, Schroeder, (nobody 2010), and now Jensen all seeing NHL action.

Hodgson was a great pick... should Gillis have known about his character when he interviewed him... probably but we'll give him a pass.

Schroeder was also a savvy pick. Ranked in the top 5 for NA skaters .... Has taken awhile to develop but I think it's safe to say that he could be projected for 50+ point seasons.

Jensen as a 19 year old getting some NHL action... enough said.

I think the reason Gillis has gotten heck for his drafting has been the abismal 2nd round picks.

Yann Sauve, Anton Rodin, and Alex Mallet. (Didn't have picks in 2010 & 2011). Hard to argue that these guys will ever be regulars in the NHL. I'd like to give Mallet a easy pass as he was just drafted but as a overager and unable to crack the Wolves lineup it's troubling.

Current roster players drafted by the canucks or signed as undrafted free agents:

Pinizzotto

Burrows

Kesler

Raymond

D. Sedin

H. Sedin

Hansen

Schroeder

Bieksa

Tanev

Edler

Schneider

Not to mention Jensen (called up today) and kassian. This is the core of the team that went to game 7 of the Stanley cup finals and won back to back presidents trophies. Not too bad.

The canucks have had their fair share of draft busts, but its not as bad as people think.

Archived