The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Becoming a lawyer.....Wetcoaster?

Sure, but if it's from a lawyer it really hurts. And unless you have the cash to pony up for your own, it can end up resulting in what the one sides weird and fantastic interpretation of events being set into stone which is hardly fair.

Sure, if your a poor person that can elicit free support to say protect you from overzealous cops you might find your own shining knight free lawyer but if you are say middle class and just happen to have an overly litigious whiny neighbor? Then look the hell out and be ready to either move, pay hundreds of bucks an hour for your own lawyer, or prepare to get royally screwed.

Heck, in the example I give it wasn't even anyone I know or care about, it was a bit of a hothead that got in trouble with a whiny neighbor downstairs that claimed the floor made too much noise (he didn't change the floor it's how it was when he got there) and basically used her lawyer and the strata rules to make him pay to remove it and replace it. And of course pay for her legal fees. And of course a bunch splashed onto the strata council. All from one bully with a lawyer.

I believe he since moved out and woe to the next person. I of course advised the gf to stay the hell away from strata council and her......

The difference is that when a lawyer screws you over, there is a regulatory body that will step in and ensure the lawyer has acted properly. When a mechanic screws you over, you're often SOL. And before you answer with the law society being biased towards lawyers, I'll inform you they most certainly aren't. I know several lawyers who've had runs ins with the law society for honest mistakes. They will rake lawyers over the coals.

The difference is that when a lawyer screws you over, there is a regulatory body that will step in and ensure the lawyer has acted properly. When a mechanic screws you over, you're often SOL. And before you answer with the law society being biased towards lawyers, I'll inform you they most certainly aren't. I know several lawyers who've had runs ins with the law society for honest mistakes. They will rake lawyers over the coals.

Edit: And in your example, in a world without lawyers, who would make the decision? The strata themselves. How are you likely to get any different/fairer result in that scenario. The problem you are having with lawyers, is an inherent problem with conflict. Regardless of whether or not your have lawyers, you're still going to have whiny neighbours.

Exactly. What would one expect fighting a monopoly with it's own pricy legal team fighting what necessitate legal costs that can run tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars?

There's so much taken out of the pie by the dueling lawyers why would anyone ever expect full compensation.

Hardly a banner advertisement for the legal industry!

Not over here in Aus , these parasites have most bases covered , as i said we were told it was impossible and most people would have given up after the first couple of years , but i am a peverse and very determined person , i never give up and i fight and nearly always win.

I doubt most people would know how to complain about being treated unfairly in a one sided decision and I believe in the case of the poor fellow it was some sort of arbitration that he got screwed over on.

And I agree there would still be conflict without lawyers and as it turns out many, many conflicts get settled just fine without them. The problem is that as soon as one side happens to get one it's suddenly like escalating a fist fight into a gun fight and unless you pay through the teeth to get your own lawyer your going to be DOA in that dispute.

Being the instrument of doomed if you don't (by being in a one sided dispute), doomed if you do (lawyer fees being insane for the average Joe) is not going to win a lot of support!

Strata companies exist with or without lawyers. As do crotchety neighbours. Equal access to lawyers is definitely a problem. However, without any lawyers, people with more money would still have access to greater influence and greater educational resources...the world is just kind of unfair that way. That being said, in the case of a dispute with your neighbour, there are various services where you can find volunteer lawyers to represent poor clients. I personally volunteer several hours a week to Pro-Bono. That being said, access to justice...and well everything else is a problem the poor face, and I agree more need to be done to rectify that.

And therein lies the basic deficit in your argument - you are trying to compare your claimed experiences in a foreign jurisdiction (Victoria Australia IIRC) to British Columbia.

BTW what was the name or names of the lawyers involved so that I can check the relevant disciplinary databases to confirm what you are claiming.

Strata companies exist with or without lawyers. As do crotchety neighbours. Equal access to lawyers is definitely a problem. However, without any lawyers, people with more money would still have access to greater influence and greater educational resources...the world is just kind of unfair that way. That being said, in the case of a dispute with your neighbour, there are various services where you can find volunteer lawyers to represent poor clients. I personally volunteer several hours a week to Pro-Bono. That being said, access to justice...and well everything else is a problem the poor face, and I agree more need to be done to rectify that.

I am not trying to compare anything , i am telling you i that i believe lawyers are parasites and the world would be better off if there was a lot less of them.

And i could not give a rats arse if you believe me or not , i have absolutely no respect for you and could care less what you think.

I do not believe you. And it seems with very good reason. Not a surprise.

In fact it appears that you have been running a game here and are being quite deceptive. Again not a surprise based on your past posting history.

I just spoke today with a lawyer who used to practise in Australia until recently, emigrated to Canada and was admitted as Member of the BC Law Society). She tells me that the disciplinary system in Victoria (the state in Australia and not our capital city in BC) is pretty much identical to how things operate here in BC and that in many cases lawyers are disciplined and disbarred by legal counsel from the regulatory body representing aggrieved client's interests (as here in BC). In fact clients filing complaints do not have their own legal counsel except in very rare and limited circumstances as these hearings are handled by counsel employed by the Legal Services Commissioner who has statutory jurisdiction over complaints against lawyers in the state of Victoria.

She directed me to the relevant information about how such complaints are made to and handled by the Legal Services Commissioner... and what a surprise!!!, Those procedures are pretty much spot on what is the case in BC (and most other common law Commonwealth jurisdictions):

http://www.lsc.vic.g...ng-a-complaint/

Please feel free to provide the names of these lawyers that you allege that you took to task and I will check them against the Register of Disciplinary Action database that is maintained by the Victoria Legal Services Board that track such matters. then we can see if your calims actually withstand scrutiny.

Time to put up or shut up, eh?

I am not allowed to give out details of the case , that was part of the settlement.

And i have not even told you when all this happened , things have changed , we had to take the malfeasant lawyer to the Victorian lawyers Tribunal , now you have to take them to V-Cat , it is a completely different process.

And why should i believe you , you have shown no propensity for the truth.

You can claim anything you like , but lets look at this logically , would i be so passionate about this if what i said happened did not happen

Many nights i had to watch my beautiful girl crying her eyes out , inconsolable , the pain that man brought into our lives was a crime unto itself, i would love to be able to tell you and the whole world the name of the parasite who ripped our family off and caused us much pain and suffering.

You Claimed that your australian lawyer friend said things were the same in canada as in Aus , but when i toid you that in our case we were not actuallly fighting the lawyer we were fighting his insurance company , YOU said this was not the case in Canada.

So what is the truth wetcoaster ?

The person who practised law in Australia also calls BS and I would believe her over someone whose claims have turned to quicksand.

If you were fighting an insurance company then how did you "take down the parasite lawyer"???

Your story changes as soon as it is challenged.

So yup, BS.

You are right as i explained at the time the only real punishment he got was an increase in his insurance premiums and if he does it again he will be disbarred.

And my story has not changed , i still believe that we took that parasite down and have made it really hard for him to be able to sdo this to others .

You with your vested interest in trying to claim that what i am saying is not true will not change the fact that what i have said is true.

Sure it has changed.

The discussion centred around how lawyers are disciplined by their self-regulating authorities.

Now after all the BS, smoke and mirrors you finally admit that your case had absolutely nothing to do with a lawyer being disciplined by his professional body because had the lawyer in fact been disciplined his name would be on the database... and that goes back a number of years including the prior regulatory regime according to an actual expert on Australian law.

As I said BS.

Archived