The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Becoming a lawyer.....Wetcoaster?

I've had to deal with an sleaze-ball lawyer before (Good ol' ICBC), but that certainly doesn't mean that I think all lawyers are guilty by association. One bad apple does not spoil the bunch.

Same with cops, just because a few police officers go out and abuse their power, doesn't mean they all do.

Sadly it is just the ones who do abuse their power/screw people over who resonate in our minds more. Everybody remembers the big scandal that one lawyer/police officer was a part of, but only a select few remember the countless positive contributions that members of that same group have made.

Yes - and the firms representing ICBC are usually intensely specialized and very, very good (I'm thinking of one in particular here in Victoria). They litigate ICBC claims all day every day, so if you don't have a lawyer to go against them, you're basically toast.

While the lawyers may indeed be a (very expensive which is a problem unto it's own) instrument of sleeze the actual sleeze merchant is ICBC. That they have no problem instructing their lawyers to drag things out as long as possible, deny any money so you can put your insured into the poor house asap, etc. is all the work of ICBC.

Of course, the fact that in order to get any sort of fair settlement means you get to have a massive deduction in the form of legal fees on scales that would make the tax man blush isn't going to win the legal community any friends.

Nor is the incredibly letter of the law attitude brought to the so called customers of ICBC that seem pretty convinced that everyone must be lying about every circumstance of the incident or the extent of the damage as though you just crawled out of the DTES and through yourself in front of a vehicle just to try to make a buck.

Of course, the fact that in order to get any sort of fair settlement means you get to have a massive deduction in the form of legal fees on scales that would make the tax man blush isn't going to win the legal community any friends.

Nor is the incredibly letter of the law attitude brought to the so called customers of ICBC that seem pretty convinced that everyone must be lying about every circumstance of the incident or the extent of the damage as though you just crawled out of the DTES and through yourself in front of a vehicle just to try to make a buck.

1) Lawyers will charge anywhere from 20% to 33.33%. The 33.33% is the maximum law society rules allow lawyers to charge. A competent lawyer should get you back far more than you pay him. IE: they should be able to increase your settlement beyond their legal fee fairly easily.

Also, to comment on the idea that "law is knowledge" that anyone can learn. That's simply not true. Law is also practice and experience, like any other profession. I can look up how to do my own electrical work online. I probably shouldn't do it myself though, due to total lack of experience and training.

Well then tell me how it is possible that i a flower farmer with no legal training managed to take 2 lawyers to their own tribunal , and against all the odds , we were told it was impossible to do this without legal representation , prove wrongdoing , make them pay compensation and if they do this again they will be barred , i beat them at their own game.

While the lawyers may indeed be a (very expensive which is a problem unto it's own) instrument of sleeze the actual sleeze merchant is ICBC. That they have no problem instructing their lawyers to drag things out as long as possible, deny any money so you can put your insured into the poor house asap, etc. is all the work of ICBC.

It's not impossible. However, generally, most people will be better off with a lawyer. It also depends on how apparent the wrong doing is and how sophisticated the matter is.

We all get it. A lawyer screwed you over one time. People from all sorts of professions screw people over all the time.

Exactly my point. You pretty much have to get a lawyer to get even close to a fair shake.

And even if it's 25-33%, if it's a one time lump sum that is supposed to make up for last wages or provide for life, that at best you are going to get 67-75% of what is actually determined to be fair compensation.

Years after the fact since the ICBC lawyers will make a point of making you go through every medical check twice etc. etc. in an effort to bankrupt you by keeping you away from a settlement as long as possible.

Don't ever even by the victim of an accident in BC. No way you will ever be properly compensated.

Well then tell me how it is possible that i a flower farmer with no legal training managed to take 2 lawyers to their own tribunal , and against all the odds , we were told it was impossible to do this without legal representation , prove wrongdoing , make them pay compensation and if they do this again they will be barred , i beat them at their own game.

That has not been my experience in representing plaintiffs.

My usual speech to new personal injury clients injured in MVAs -

Do not expect this to be a lottery win and I can virtually guarantee you that whatever money you are awarded will not truly compensate you for what you have lost in terms of your health.

Archived