The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Keep True to Ourselves

Salter

I just found a CD I made many years ago and the first song on it was our very own entry song, "The Streets Have No Name." Listening to it made me start thinking and yes, this may just be a dumb off season thread but I hope you will have a quick read.

Whenever I hear this song I get a happy feeling and think of our team and the good things they do.

Our team may be declining, our window may be closing...but even though the main goal of hockey is to win the Stanley Cup, our franchise does so much more than that. On and off the ice. We play with skill, we play with heart, and we don't just bend the rules (like a few past cup winners) to find a way to win it all. Most of us fans are mad that we aren't winning the Stanley Cup EVERY year but when hearing that song I felt like what we do is more important. I think if we do what a lot of fans wish and trade away core players and completely change our style of play, we will lose what makes hockey so special in Vancouver.

I know it wont happen but one day the way we are playing will pay off and true skill will prevail and bring us a cup. In this generation of hockey it might not do it, but hockey is an ever-changing sport and I don't think we should change what we do here. We play with heart, we play with skill, and we shouldn't try to get down and dirty just to win a few more games.

I know this kind of goes no where and may not be worth your time but thanks for reading and Go Canucks Go! :towel:

I'd rather have a team that plays with heart and honour than one that changes its identity to suit current tends, only to arrive at the party too late to find out that the next great trend has arrived thus rendering my team irrelevant. I really miss our Canucks of old, especially that '93/4 team.

I dont think fans are mad because we aren't winning the Stanley Cup every year. I think fans are mad because we've never won it even once. Especially in this day and age when we've had such a competitive team that has had the appearance of championship quality, and we've only gone beyond the second round one time. The ride has been enjoyable but frustrating at the same time.

Archived