The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Removable visors

With all the talk of helmets and fighting being brought up again, i'm surprised by the lack of talk about a removable visor.

Visor battles are lame, and now with the helmet removing penalty, we end up with five minute "pre-fights" when a player with a visor challenges one without ( or vice versa ). It's like middle schoolers flirting on the phone "you hang up, no you first, no you hahahaha"..

It doesn't seem like a difficult task to make a visor that releases somehow via clips or whatever. Then players can just snap em off, and go, while keeping their helmets on and heads protected.

The more I think about, the more I question why this hasn't been done already. Especially with them grandfathering windshields in.

I don't know how many of you have played organized competitive hockey, but if someone is really really ticked off at you and not just staging a fight in an attempt to get their team going, the 3 or so seconds it would take for your hands to unclip both sides of any type of visor and then grab the other guy's sweater is about about 2 seconds too long. The guy who doesn't have the visor will already be tee'ing up his punch.

Archived