The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

5.2 Billion reasons to

icycold

who cares Canucks games without regional blackouts WHOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

I love this new TV deal. More games on Sportsnet for Vancouver, and those games are available to all Sportsnet subscribers anywhere in Canada! Finally get to watch games on TV.

/excitement.

Believe it or not, the NHL itself is considered a non-profit tax exempt trade organization.

Thanks, that actually made sense. I always figured the NHL was more of an organization that individual owners were a part of rather than it's own corporation, just couldn't figure out then where the other 50% of the money goes to but it sounds like someone said it would go to the players in terms of salary cap. So does that mean if an owner decides not to spend to the cap they keep some of their cut of teh extra 50% too?

Thanks, that actually made sense. I always figured the NHL was more of an organization that individual owners were a part of rather than it's own corporation, just couldn't figure out then where the other 50% of the money goes to but it sounds like someone said it would go to the players in terms of salary cap. So does that mean if an owner decides not to spend to the cap they keep some of their cut of teh extra 50% too?

Yes, but there is a set minimum. If your team gets a reputation of being "cheap" then you'll have a hard time retaining your good players and make it very very hard to compete for top-tier free agents.

That being said, spending up to the cap also doesn't guarantee a championship team.

Archived