The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NEWSFLASH: Drake is a selfish @**

D-Money

"if addiction is a disease, it’s a peculiar one. Nobody gets Alzheimer’s because of something they’ve done. You don’t go to a support group and pledge to avoid heart disease. Therapy and counselling won’t help you kick your asthma habit. Changing your behaviour won’t get rid of pancreatic cancer.

The disease model of addiction implies that the victim is helpless. It denies the role of personal agency, which is probably the most important force of all when facing down your demons.

The disease model also assumes that addicts won’t get better unless they seek expert treatment. In fact, a pile of research shows that most addicts cure themselves. They do so when the price becomes too high – when they might lose a job, a marriage, their kids or the regard of people they respect. Most people who were addicted in their teens and 20s manage to clean up by their 30s. Unlike Mr. Hoffman, most don’t relapse."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-debate/philip-seymour-hoffman-had-a-habit-not-a-disease/article16847458/

I believe addictions is considered a mental illness which is a bit different. It is true that he is personally responsible for starting down the path that led to addiction. But you could say that for many physical diseases as well. For example choosing to smoke can lead to cancer. Or overeating and a poor diet can lead to obesity and eventually a host of other problems.

Seriously when I heard Drake got caught lint rollin at a Raptors game I totally thought it was some stupid swag dance move like popping the collar or dusting the shoulders. So when they showed it on PTI I lol'd. Whats the big deal? Anywhoo picture me lint rolling cuz thats my new swag move.

Archived