The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Poll/ Discussion] Nylander vs. Ehlers; only 2 options for Canucks at #6

canucks155

Who should the Canucks draft at #6  

233 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is so wrong, unless you are trolling of course, then it is right on.

Nolan, Greene, Carter, Doughty, Clifford, King, Mitchell, et cetera for the refutation.

Horrible spelling, grammar, attitude, vulgarity, immaturity, personality, ideas, counter ideas, conclusions, et cetera for the troll.

Conclusion: Troll has been successful.

Carter doesn't hit. He snipes. Doughty isn't a guy who looks to hit. He finishes his checks, but he's not physical. The other guys are either 4th liners or bottom pair dmen. Both of which aren't too hard too find in free agency

That 3rd sentence might just be the greatest sentence I've ever seen...

Canucks155

Only a handful of players in the NHL are like Lucic in terms of hitting, intimidation with skill (hmm Ritchie)

A big physical player has advantages over a small player. Kopitar at 224 goes into a corner with a 175 lb player. Who do you think wins that puck battle? How about shielding the puck from checks? Look LA is a big physical hockey team by anyones standards, apparently not yours.

Sorry you cant blame it all on Torts. The Canucks were physically manhandled by the Bruins in the 2011 Final. They were manhandled by the Kings in 2012 when they couldn't compete in the first round. They were manhandled by the Sharks in 2013 when they couldn't compete and were swept by the Sharks in the first round. How much do you need to see?

Torts was right about one thing, this isn't 2011 anymore and this team needs to be changed.

Yes skill plays into winning the cup but so does grit and a heavy line-up to get out of the western conference. The Canucks aging skill players are not what they once were and new skill and size is needed.

I am OPEN to Nyander. he has played with men and fared very well with his age peers at U18. Ehlers has skill and speed but is very small and played in the weakest highest scoring junior league. I am OPEN also to fast skilled physical players like Virtanen or Ritchie.

I just think the premise of this thread is flawed, suggesting that the only players worth anything to the Canucks at 6 are Ehlers and Nylander. Pretty certain Benning is not thinking that way. For all you know Fleury may even be an option, could easily go to the Hurricanes at 7.

Sorry you cant blame it all on Torts. The Canucks were physically manhandled by the Bruins in the 2011 Final. They were manhandled by the Kings in 2012 when they couldn't compete in the first round. They were manhandled by the Sharks in 2013 when they couldn't compete and were swept by the Sharks in the first round. How much do you need to see?

Can't blame it on Torts? Every player on the damn roster had their worst season w/ his stupid system. This team is built to have an offensive minded coach.

Manhandled to 7 games.

Manhandled since Daniel or Henrik was out for most of the series

I'll admit that we got killed by the Sharks and there were no excuses for that one.

Would u consider Colorado to be physical? I don't. But, I think if they add some pieces on the back end, they can prove that size isn't needed to win the cup.

When Daniels face was used as a speed bag by Marchand and not a canuck lifted a finger it was one of the most embarassing moments of being a Canuck fan. It went 7 games but they blew us out in the 4 bruin wins including game 7 in our building when we didn't show up and were never in the game. They pushed us around physically in that series and we had no response.

Since then 3 seasons have passed and the Canucks cannot compete in the western conference playoffs. Will be battling for 8th spot next year, hard pressed to make it. Our first line 7 million dollar players will be 34 at the start of the season are looking like 70 pts is the ceiling, 50 might be the reality. They also don't have great history of coming through I the playoffs when the going gets tough. Ehlers at 163 lbs no thanks. Enough of soft players.

When Daniels face was used as a speed bag by Marchand and not a canuck lifted a finger it was one of the most embarassing moments of being a Canuck fan. It went 7 games but they blew us out in the 4 bruin wins including game 7 in our building when we didn't show up and were never in the game. They pushed us around physically in that series and we had no response.

Since then 3 seasons have passed and the Canucks cannot compete in the western conference playoffs. Will be battling for 8th spot next year, hard pressed to make it. Our first line 7 million dollar players will be 34 at the start of the season are looking like 70 pts is the ceiling, 50 might be the reality. They also don't have great history of coming through I the playoffs when the going gets tough. Ehlers at 163 lbs no thanks. Enough of soft players.

Like I've said b4, we've got up and coming big/tough guys. Basically every prospect we have other than Shinkaruk is average sized or big. I don't see Kane getting pushed around. That's because he's got big guys around him and he knows how to avoid big hits.

You wont convince them they'll just compare ehlers to kane and gallagher.

I'd take Ehlers.

Less puck hogs on this team please. Good teams distribute the puck consistently and often. I'd have our team be at fault for overpassing rather than taking 50 crest shots a game. Quality over quantity, look at what players like Zuccarello can do for a team.

How has that worked out for the Canucks so far?

I'd rather have a high scoring puck hog any day as long as he isn't a liability.

Ritchie is as fast and skilled as ehlers in a tougher league on a crappier team.

Deal with it.

Yes have you seen ritchie. Very similiar hockey iq and skating.

Have you seen Ehlers skate or handle the puck?

I live out east and have seen both players play LIVE and Ritchie doesn't not have the puck handeling skill that Ehlers does at top speed. Ritchie has good speed but Ehlers is faster both at top speed and accelerating. I would hope that Ritchie would dominate in the OHL considering that he is on average 40+ lbs heavier than most of the players in the league. Can he do that at the NHL level where the players are tougher, same size and more skilled then most CHLers? Considering what Ehlers has done in the Q, his first year in N.A and being on average 20 lbs lighter than most players in his league may just show that he has some skill. Ehlers does not hit as Ritchie does but it does not mean that he isn't physical, Ehlers does not shy away from the physical aspect and does play and go to the tough areas. It's just that he is faster than most of the players and and is able to avoid being hit. Ehlers in 2 - 3 years when he enters the league will show that he is one of the best players from this draft. I would much rather select the more skilled player at 6 Nylander/Ehlers and in the 2nd or 3 rd round select a player like Hunter Smith who is a smililar physical player as Ritchie albeit less skilled.

How has that worked out for the Canucks so far?

I'd rather have a high scoring puck hog any day as long as he isn't a liability.

I assume you're referring to the Sedins? Which would make it a pretty stupid statement consideing they're the best players this organization's seen. If you're talking about them, who are u talking about?

Well, Ehlers had over 100 points...

Ritchie doesnt rely on his size at all to score his 40 goals.

Yes he does. Almost all of his goals come off of him shielding away players

He does it with his suberb passing shot and hockey iq that lets him excel on a bad team not one with jonathan drouin on it.

What?

Ritchie doesnt rely on his size at all to score his 40 goals.

I agree, he doesn't solely rely on his size he is a skilled player, however his size does help him and gives him an advantage. Though if he doesn't rely on his size to score in the NHL then that is another reason not to choose him as I mentioned Ehlers is more skilled than Ritchie and from most accounts Nylander is just as skilled as Ehlers which again puts both players ahead of Ritchie. I have nothing against Ritchie he is a good player though not top 8 in this draft and if the Nux do choose him over these players, in 5 years it will be the same old song ... we should have could have drafted Ehlers/Nylander ...

I assume you're referring to the Sedins? Which would make it a pretty stupid statement consideing they're the best players this organization's seen. If you're talking about them, who are u talking about?

Well, Ehlers had over 100 points...

No, not the Sedins - they have at least scored their fair share...it was the AV coaching style - how many times were people complaining about too many passes? We would control in the opponents end and come away with no shot. That's what I'm referring to.

No, not the Sedins - they have at least scored their fair share...it was the AV coaching style - how many times were people complaining about too many passes? We would control in the opponents end and come away with no shot. That's what I'm referring to.

Well, the AV coaching style got us to game 7 and we played the best Canucks hockey I'd seen in a long time.

Which highlights are u watching? The ones I see, he's speeding through the neutral zone and scoring or he's on the boards and lets go an amazing shot.

Now I realize that u have fallen in love w/ Nylander. You're making his cons look like pros. As far as whole "attitude" problem is concerned, Hodgson had the same problems and now look, he got sent to Buffalo.

I meant in terms of a player u build around. You will never see Ovi hoist the cup if he's a minus player and he's the best guy on the roster. Tavares can still improve his d play but Ovi looks completely unwilling to do so.

Did u really compare Nylander to Thornton? He may have had 11 goals, but he also had 65 assists.

So he can't put up points in the best div in Sweden but he's somehow supposed to put up 100+ points in the NHL. The best hockey league in the world. If he can't even put up any points in the SHL, than Sodertalje means nothing.

in defence of nylander people always put up less points overseas in leagues like the khl and shl, the ice is bigger less goals are scored, you watch the olympics?

in defence of nylander people always put up less points overseas in leagues like the khl and shl, the ice is bigger less goals are scored, you watch the olympics?

True.

so 7 points in 22 games in the shl as an 18 year old is actually pretty good

Daniel Sedin put up 42 points in 50 games in the year he got drafted. Sure, he had Hank, but still.

Alfie put up almost a ppg pace in the SHL and got drafted in the 6th round.

7 points is nothing.

I'm a bit too distracted w/ ur profile pic tho...

Archived