The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Poll/ Discussion] Nylander vs. Ehlers; only 2 options for Canucks at #6

canucks155

Who should the Canucks draft at #6  

233 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ehlers is just a better sniper than Nylander, thats the biggest and most obvious difference, aside of the speed. He's tougher and goes where it hurts more often too, he's relentless. Ehlers checking game and compete is also a level above Nylander. Nylander on the other hand is the best playmaker in this draftclass. I take Ehlers because he's got grit I haven't seen in Nylander yet

That "grit" will be severely tested when he steps up to the next level and plays in a men's league where 200 lbs is now merely average size.

I look at the style of play and mentality of a player first and foremost, then look at the height and weight. Ehlers is gritty player, relentless. He was visibly stronger on the ice in the last half of the season. He looked like a player that had gotten considerably stronger from when Halifax visited Gatineau in late october vs in the playoffs. The weight you list is the number from mid august last year, there's been nothing official released since then, though there have been a few indications hes put on some pounds from non-official sources from 173 to 175. I did some digging and found his father got drafted by rangers and reached around 190 lbs, he was also a late bloomer and his draft weight was around 175 lbs http://www.hockeydraftcentral.com/1984/84188.html

You could be right. We don't really know the future of these 18 year olds. Ehlers has talent for sure. I just don't see the Canucks taking him. If they go this route I would think Nylander first but I know they want some size.

I have the same read. Several potential power forwards and one will fall to #10. I would like Ritchie, who might be availabe at 10, but will settle for Virtanen, who won't go before #10.At 6, I agree that it is between Nylander and Ehlers, both very high ceiling scorers. Obviously we cannot really know who will do better at the NHL level, but I would go with Nylander.Hard to see the Canucsk moving up. I would love to pick Reinhart or Ekblad, but it is not worth giving up another significant asset to get one of them instead of Nylander.

I see the fantasizedabout Anaheim trade less likely than an eastern team like Pittsburgh, as much as I like it myself

I have the same read. Several potential power forwards and one will fall to #10. I would like Ritchie, who might be availabe at 10, but will settle for Virtanen, who won't go before #10.

At 6, I agree that it is between Nylander and Ehlers, both very high ceiling scorers. Obviously we cannot really know who will do better at the NHL level, but I would go with Nylander.

Hard to see the Canucsk moving up. I would love to pick Reinhart or Ekblad, but it is not worth giving up another significant asset to get one of them instead of Nylander.

This is exactly how I feel as well.

Nylander or Ehlers at #6. Unless we trade up. If we trade up to #1 we take our local boy Reinhart and if we still have the #10 we take Virtanen. Every mock I am seeing now assures us he will still be there at 10. Ritchie wont be there at 10. He will probably go 8 or 9

So in a perfect world I take Reinhart and Virtanen but Nylander/ Ehlers and Virtanen will do just fine. :)

Nylander has incredible EVERYTHING though.. That's the thing. The only thing that Ehlers has over Nylander is speed. And not even by much. Other than that, anything Ehlers can do, Nylander can do better. For e.g, stickhandling, puck control, stickhandling at high speeds, the passing and the shots I would say are even, and ive noticed that Nylander is better at maneuvering. Just like Patrick Kane, he's so good at avoiding hits and making sure he's not pushed around into corners. Not to mention, Nylander has excellent vision. And I think the "selfish" part of him that some people seem to think, Is just him wanting to be that guy who can make the difference. He knows that he has the skill and the talent to be a star and an impact player, so he wants to be that guy. He thrives on being in the limelight and being the one that puts the team on this back, and carry's them to victory. He's not selfish. He's just a difference maker. Besides, He will bond much easier with the Sedins than Ehlers will, because Nylander's swedish.

I honestly think they're equal in everything except for puck handling, shot and speed. Puck handling clearly goes to Nylander, but shot and speed go to Ehlers. They're similar in all area, but I think Ehlers has less drawbacks.

I see the fantasizedabout Anaheim trade less likely than an eastern team like Pittsburgh, as much as I like it myself

Anaheim is really the only team that hits all 4 of the criteria needed in the Kesler deal:

1. He'll waive (y not, best record in the West)

2. They need Kesler (would solidify #2 center behind Getzlaf, could also play him w/ Perry and Getzlaf if needed)

3. They have plenty of assets (Etem, Theodore, picks, etc, they've got it all)

4. Have indicated interest (many reports saying they've offered a trade)

Pit doesn't hit 2 or 3 and maybe not even 4. They don't NEED Kesler, they've got bigger problems. The only assets they have are Poliout, Bennett and picks. And, now w/ a different GM, it's unclear whether or not he wants to pursue a Kesler trade.

I see Anaheim as the perfect fit.

Yes. That is exactly what Nylander is. He's 5'11 so he's only 1 inch below 6'0. So he's basically 6'0 and he's 181 lbs. He has the outstanding stickhandling of Jonathan Drouin and the speed of MacKinnon. I can see superstar written all over him!

Nylanders legs must be huge cause Im 190 pounds and his upper body is tiny compared to mine. At least he could do a pullup though lol

Nylander is clearly a step above ehlers even Benning said their was a top 6, ehlers is good but played in a weak ass QMJHL with droiun and weighs 162 pounds. I don't see a scenario where he goes before 8

The QMJHL actually had slightly lower scoring per game than the OHL. You are mistaken on the league and how much time he spent with Drouin.

You realize Nathan MacKinnon and Drouin went 1 and 3 in the strongest draft in 10 years coming out of that 'weak ass' league.

It was covered 50 times in the last 2 months so you can go read it in the Ehlers thread or the 6th overall pick thread.

Nylander has incredible EVERYTHING though.. That's the thing. The only thing that Ehlers has over Nylander is speed. And not even by much. Other than that, anything Ehlers can do, Nylander can do better. For e.g, stickhandling, puck control, stickhandling at high speeds, the passing and the shots I would say are even, and ive noticed that Nylander is better at maneuvering. Just like Patrick Kane, he's so good at avoiding hits and making sure he's not pushed around into corners. Not to mention, Nylander has excellent vision. And I think the "selfish" part of him that some people seem to think, Is just him wanting to be that guy who can make the difference. He knows that he has the skill and the talent to be a star and an impact player, so he wants to be that guy. He thrives on being in the limelight and being the one that puts the team on this back, and carry's them to victory. He's not selfish. He's just a difference maker. Besides, He will bond much easier with the Sedins than Ehlers will, because Nylander's swedish.

You should put this in letter form and send it to Linden.

Nylander is clearly a step above ehlers even Benning said their was a top 6, ehlers is good but played in a weak ass QMJHL with droiun and weighs 162 pounds. I don't see a scenario where he goes before 8

If we pick Nylander, the Hurricanes or Leafs will pick Ritchie or Ehlers.

Benning said something about theres a top 6 in the draft. I think hes clearly referring it to Nylander as the top 6

I noticed that comment as well and agree with you that sounds like Nylander to me. it could be Ritchie if they are in love with the idea of the very imposing and unique player he could turn out to be but it seems like Nylander.

Anaheim is really the only team that hits all 4 of the criteria needed in the Kesler deal:

1. He'll waive (y not, best record in the West)

2. They need Kesler (would solidify #2 center behind Getzlaf, could also play him w/ Perry and Getzlaf if needed)

3. They have plenty of assets (Etem, Theodore, picks, etc, they've got it all)

4. Have indicated interest (many reports saying they've offered a trade)

Pit doesn't hit 2 or 3 and maybe not even 4. They don't NEED Kesler, they've got bigger problems. The only assets they have are Poliout, Bennett and picks. And, now w/ a different GM, it's unclear whether or not he wants to pursue a Kesler trade.

I see Anaheim as the perfect fit.

All Canuck fans see Anaheim as the perfect fit and I am one of them but it is not about what we think it is about what Bob Murray thinks and if Benning will get past the division thing. the price on Kesler is reportedly high and Murray also has interest in Spezza. Other centres are out there as well.

All Canuck fans see Anaheim as the perfect fit and I am one of them but it is not about what we think it is about what Bob Murray thinks and if Benning will get past the division thing. the price on Kesler is reportedly high and Murray also has interest in Spezza. Other centres are out there as well.

Spezza will cost more to aquire. He's an elite offensive threat and is extremely similar to Getzlaf. This isn't a bad thing, but Spezza is a true 1st liner center and it will run them a hefty amount to acquire him, whereas Kesler will cost them less. I'm not worried about Spezza ruining the possible trade to Anaheim because I think they're looking for a 2 way center.

What I'm worried about however, is the possibility of ROR being traded. If he's available, the Kesler market is screwed. The Ducks could probably get him for the around the same amount as Kesler, or they can offer sheet him. Meaning, the other teams interested in Kesler realize a prime suitor for the former Selke winner is off the table and they can use it as leverage, lessening the value coming back to us in a potential trade.

Archived