The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Van - Win Value of Dustin Byfuglien

There has been lots of talk about the Jet's moving Kane, but IMO Kane is much to valuable of a piece to move unless a young player of equal talent is coming back ( Johansen, Eberle, Schenn etc.).

I believe that Byfuglien would be available if the return was strong enough, but what would that return need to be?

The Jets need an upgrade in net but they do have a blue chipper in Hallebuyck coming up, they also need some high end forwards in their system. I think they are mostly set on D, one of the reasons Byfuglien was playing forward.

Would Markstrom, Hansen, Stanton, and Jensen/Gaunce be enough?

Would Shinkaruk have to be the prospect included?

I like 2 years of Byfuglien because it is clear that Benning and Co. want to compete, Byfuglien brings a high level of talent, and size that this team lacks regardless of if he is playing D or W. He would be a huge upgrade on the PP either on the point of infront of the net.

Some people might laugh and say quantity for quality but the Jets need some young depth that they can develop. They would recieve 3 guaranteed roster players all under the age of 28 and a prospect that is pretty close to playing in the NHL. Other teams most likely would and could offer more but I think that is pretty close to fair value.

The Canucks also free up some roster spaces allowing a young player or two to break into the lineup.

Nucks

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Bonino Vey Vrbata

Higgins Horvat Burrows

Matthias Richardson Dorsett

Sestito

Hamhuis Byfuglien

Edler Tanev

Sbisa Bieksa

Corrado/Webber

Jets

Ladd Little Wheeler

Kane Scheifele Frolik

Ehlers/Jensen/Gaunce Perrault Hansen

Tangradi Slater Thornburn

Peluso

Enstrom Trouba

Stuart Bogosian

Clitsome Postma

Stanton Pardy

Let's keep the youth where it is. I am getting tired of the Canucks trading young prospects. How will Byfuglien make the Canucks that much stronger

Considering he is one of the biggest guys in the NHL and has no problem using that size, I would say that he would make the Canucks significantly stronger. He also has incredible skill, of course he can be inconsistant but this team needs more strength and skill to compete in the West.

Considering he is one of the biggest guys in the NHL and has no problem using that size, I would say that he would make the Canucks significantly stronger. He also has incredible skill, of course he can be inconsistant but this team needs more strength and skill to compete in the West.

I appreciate your point but I have my personal reservations about how much better Byfuglien would make the team, and to have to trade away valuable assets to get him makes me wonder if it is really worth it. I agree his size on D is also an asset. I would hate to have to give up Shinkaruk, Gaunce, etc and let's face it, they are not going to give him away without a player of value.

The question is, at 5.1M/Year is he worth losing a future valuable prospect. I say no. Vancouver has got to start developing valuable assets of their own, not continue to pay through the nose for those another team has developed. We have been doing that for years and where has it got us to date. Time for new thinking.

Archived