The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Contracts

Comet Fan 0727

Can someone in CDC explain a couple of things to me. First, how many total players can the Canucks have signed under contract at one time? I thought I read it was around 50.

Next question has to do with some of the unsigned prospects the Nucks have. ie Subban, Labate, and the other college players. If they already have the max signed, and when the unsigned draft picks are done with college or junior, can they be signed at this time?

Looking at the players signed by the Nucks in capgeek, there are 2 or 3 that aren't even playing in the ahl. I would think they would want to rid themselves of these players.

Max Contracts allowed are 50, you're correct on that one.

In terms of what happens with unsigned prospects, you have 3 years after the draft to extend a contract to that player, after which time, that player becomes an unrestricted free agents. Thus allowing them to sign to any team. Now, with College draftee's it's the same process, or atleast it used to be. This was the loophole that allowed Justin Schultz to partake in the Lebron "I'm taking my talents to _____" fiasco. If he was to sign a contract with Anaheim, the team that drafted him, that would mean he would no longer be a amateur athelete which means that he wouldn't be able to take part in college hockey. So he waited it out until he was a UFA and signed with Edmonton.

Also players still in juniors that have signed with Vancouver don't count against the 50 contact max until their junior career is over and they turn pro.

and those contracts (under 20 as of dec 31st) get "pushed" back a year if they don't play over 9 games for the canucks that season.

Archived