The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pavel Zacha talk

pmalina

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Zacha finished at a 'disappointing' .91ppg for Sarnia, however Sarnia didn't boast any other bigtime scorers in their lineup.

He's now a goal-per-game guy in the U18 for a sparse Czech team.

He looks to have all the tools to be a top-line center... speed, size, skill, grit, but consistency and effort need work. imho If he stayed in europe he may be regarded higher than he is today.

I doubt he falls all the way to us, but if he does, yay. Vrbata could mentor him for a bit.

• 3 weeks later...

Pavel wearing #13 finished U18 World Championships (April of 2015) with 5 goals in 5 games. I think majority of his goals were pretty awesome so I put here the links (game hihglights) where you can watch them:

CZE - LAT 4:1 (1:25 beautiful PP goal + 4:30 EN goal)

https://vimeo.com/125394619

CAN - CZE 3:2 (0:45 takeaway and beautiful goal)

https://vimeo.com/125637086

CZE - SUI 5:0 (2:00 confident play and great shot)

https://vimeo.com/125823986

USA - CZE 7:2 (2:45 nice wrist shot)

https://vimeo.com/125994320

• 3 weeks later...

I have a little report to share. Pavel's dad has a website where he shares his opinions and keeps people updated on his son as well. This one is an article about spring and summer training of Pavel Zacha and I selected just some parts of it to share. It may be interesting to read for you...

Source: http://www.zacha-hokej.cz/domu/pavel-zacha-se-pripravuje-na-zlomovou-sezonu-v-cesku-do-konce-kvetna

About style of summer training

I don't wanna show complete structure of Pavel's training plan and there are many reasons for that. First, I'd like to talk about training type in general.

The important decision is whether player will train individually or with team. You don't usually have a choice here in the Czech Republic and it has more tradition in Europe generally to train with your team, from the young age till men's league. Overseas, they prefer individual training and elite European players with an experience from North America are bringing this slowly to Europe. These players are not afraid to pay for professional conditioning coaches. This created a problem for Czech hockey coaches. They are afraid that managers of hockey clubs could pay them just for a part of the year and not in summer training period. Therefore, these coaches try to point a finger to those players and try to indicate that this is not the way.

Usually, when a player tries individual training repeatedly, he does not like to come back to team training. Sometimes, summer training can be mix of both training types, especially in case of young players. Team training has a benefit in socializing. Individual training better aims to strengthens player's weaknesses and is more suitable for any kind of physical conditions and own ambitions. To me, ideal state is when a player is well educated and informed that he can manage his own training sessions according his own will and feeling. I have experienced that kind of training myself and now I am trying to teach it my son and carry these responsibilities on himself.

About Pavel's training plan

We had a lot of choices - prepare in North America, the Czech Republic, mix these together and more cities to choose.

At the end, we decided to train whole May n the Czech Republic in Velke Mezirici and to drive to Prague three times a week to be on ice. After flying to NHL Combine testing in Buffalo, Pavel will prepare for a new season in Los Angeles, CA where he will combine physical off ice training with both technical and physical on ice training (we have already experienced that model two years ago).

This year, we made a few adjustments in his training plan. We returned to some exercises from younger age and inserted more anticipation, coordination and reactionary exercises. I would describe it as a silencing of absolute power, strength and speed and targeting technical, agility and timing skills.

If we talk about NHL Combine testing, we don't do bench press at all because we don't view this as important thing for hockey player. We practice the other tests just a little, appr. 5% of training session time. We rather look forward for a camp and season.

Highlight of training day from May 19th

Part of our training process takes place in the sport area near elementary school where basketball field, soccer field and athletic track is located. It is all appr. 100 meters from our house. The aim of these training sessions is games and foot work.

We don't practice any sprints or running longer than 10 meters. However, we paid a lot of attention to sprints and running up to 400 meters and we tried to achieve new PBs. And there were rewards for achieving those PBs.

From the beginning this year, Pavel wanted to try 50 meters sprint. I was against that because I saw a first week as adaptive period on current plan and the risk of hurting himself was there.

In the second week, Pavel urged even more to do the 50 meters sprint and so I said okay, let's do that if you want. Just in his normal sport shoes and with no starting blocks.

Time 6.03 seconds really surprised me. I was like I don't know to what to compare that time, you could try 100 meters. He said: "Yeah, give me a while to catch a breath."

He hasn't tried 100 meters for a long time. Well, he was not running whole Winter, so coordination, technique can be there, I told to myself. No spikes, no starting blocks. He is alone, no race atmosphere. He weights more than 100 kg, he is not an athlete.

At the same time, I know how fast his legs are and his start is very quick. When I practice with him sprints, running up the hill or other races, he beats me like a girl. I am not the youngest one but I used to be very fast in those races. So I don't like it and if we run up the hill, he gives me five to six meters just for the moment he blows over me. He doesn't even look like he is trying sometimes. They were worried about that in Sarnia once and were not sure if he gives 100%. But then they did tests on skating dynamics and he was by far the fastest not only in the club but in the whole OHL.

But that was on the ice, this is on athletic track. I was expecting time around 13.60 seconds. I saw a maximum of 12.50 being possible but not with a high likelihood.

Then he started and I saw how quick he is and how fast he is approaching me and my stopwatch. I was in astonishment when I looked down to see the time - 11.31 seconds.

I was like, maybe I measured it wrong but at the same time I knew I measured it the right way. I would give myself toleration of 0.1 seconds at start and to measure finish, I did that countless times.

I realized how much work and grind it costed me when I reach that time and then another two long years to set my PB on 10.80 seconds.

I though this is not fair, he did not even practiced. I was thinking if he would have spikes, starting blocks and race atmosphere that time had to be even better. Probably even under 11.00 seconds.

So I was like hmm, decathlon would not be that bad idea for him. His strength would be in discus throw, javelin and ball. But we won't know he already choose hockey. He loves it.

This was something that surprised me and make me proud. Like a bonus you don't really expect. Long time ago we stopped to measure times and centimeters. 11.31 seconds is not a miracle, not the world record, but with the account the circumstances, that is something I still can not believe that.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived