The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Canucks @ Sabres | October 20th | 4:00 pm PST

Roberts

Canucks @ Sabres Predictions  

137 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

Demko is going to be a star in the league if he's brought up the right way after getting proper seasoning in the AHL.  The Canucks should not screw that up for the sake of a few extra wins during rebuilding seasons.

I hope you're right.  I must say thought that If Demko were any other position, then he'd be here now.  Goalies may, however, be different.

4 hours ago, Western Red said:

Demko could be a Price level goaltender, it's excruciating seeing Goaltending like this from Markstrom. Ithink that this is Nilssons start and have been puzzled today that he didn't get the vote of confidence and the start tonight. Guy just pitched a shutout. Markstrom lets in one softie every game... Goes to show he's never had a shutout. ****! Venting.

But you are right: if he gives up a funny one every game or two, he will take forever to get a shutout.

1 minute ago, gameburn said:

I hope you're right.  I must say thought that If Demko were any other position, then he'd be here now.  Goalies may, however, be different.

I think they're different because they have to learn a lot more technical positioning once they get to the NHL. Goaltenders in junior and NCAA can rely a lot on raw skill. That doesn't get you far in the NHL, because it's hard to recover from erratic reactionary movements. For a goalie to be successful, they have to have that skill and the ability to control that skill in planned manner and adjust to the professional game. Thus, they take longer usually.

With skaters, you do have to teach them systems and how to be a professional, but the raw skill is still the most valuable part of a forwards game and still important to defenders as well.

4 hours ago, higgyfan said:

No kidding, eh?  Tough, tough man.  Real character guy.

He and Gudbranson have similar stories: injuries had them all but forgotten.  Now they're back. Dorsett has single-handedly made a tenacious line out of any line he's been on.  And still manages to protect some players... He's not even getting penalized much.  I have become a fan of this guy.

2 minutes ago, BananaMash said:

I think they're different because they have to learn a lot more technical positioning once they get to the NHL. Goaltenders in junior and NCAA can rely a lot on raw skill. That doesn't get you far in the NHL, because it's hard to recover from erratic reactionary movements. For a goalie to be successful, they have to have that skill and the ability to control that skill in planned manner and adjust to the professional game. Thus, they take longer usually.

With skaters, you do have to teach them systems and how to be a professional, but the raw skill is still the most valuable part of a forwards game and still important to defenders as well.

Demko looked good in the pre-season... I wonder if he's studying NHL players... seeing who shoots where and when, what angles they'll try shots on... who does what on breakaways... that kind of thing.  Otherwise, I think he'd have looked a little rough in the pre-season, because as you say, the NHL game is pretty demanding of goalies. 

• -SN- locked this topic

Archived