The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Offseason Deals

TRADE #1

Trade right after Loui Eriksson's $4 million bonus is paid.

To Columbus: Loui Eriksson (50% salary retained)

To Vancouver: Brandon Dubinsky, Alexandre Texier

Reasoning:  Columbus will want to create as much cap room as possible, as well as save actual money to throw at Panarin, Bobrovsky, and Duchene.  By doing this deal, they end up with Eriksson's $3 million cap hit for three more seasons, as well as much lower actual dollar cost.  They lose Dubinsky's $5.85 cap hit for two more seasons, again freeing up cap space for those two years as well as actual money spent.  The other win of the deal here for Columbus is that Eriksson is a better player than Dubinsky right now, so they end up with less cap hit and a player for their third line.

For the Canucks, they exchange short term cap space in order to free up the extra year of Eriksson's contract, as well as adding a mid-level prospect.  Texier is a 2017 second round pick who can play left wing or center.  He's a good addition to the prospect pool. Dubinsky's contract is a year shorter than Eriksson's (even though we will still have a $3mil cap hit that final year) which is a big win for the Canucks as that is about the time the Canucks will want the cap space to start adding good players and re-signing young ones.  It also makes the Seattle expansive draft more manageable.  Instead of having a cap hit of $6 million for Eriksson for three years, we pay $8.85 for Dubinsky and half of Eriksson for two years in order to open up $3 million in cap space in that third season, as well as gain a prospect in Texier.  Dubinsky can fill in as a veteran leader-type, who is good on draws and play our third or fourth line center role til his contract expires.

TRADE #2
To Florida: Jacob Markstrom, Markus Granlund, Chris Tanev (50% retained), 2019 3rd rounder
To Vancouver: Roberto Luongo, 13th overall pick
*potentially predicated on Markstrom signing and extension with them  before the deal goes through.

Reasoning: I totally understand it's very strange for two players to be traded for each other twice.  However this works for both teams.  Florida wants to start winning now, and they need to turn the corner.  Markstrom had a great last year, and is the right age for their core.  Luongo and Reimer have both not been starting goalie caliber.  The Canucks also get more of a sense of control over the potential recapture penalty for Luongo.  Lou comes back as a fan favourite (important during rebuilding years to give the fans positive storylines).  Lou can split time with Demko, and be a mentor.  The Canucks also get value for Tanev, but he's needed as a right hand shot second pairing veteran defenseman for the Panthes.  Leivo is included as they could use another right winger, and they hope he takes another step in development.  Clearly this is mostly about the Canucks getting the 13th overall pick, and either packaging the two picks to move up, or drafting to potentially good players. Is this a deal where the Canucks package together for a good asset, yes.  I think it's still realistic because it helps Florida in goal, it helps them on defense, helps them up front, and gives them a draft pick in return.

TRADE #3

I know in division trades are fairly rare and trading young players is risky

To Calgary: Jake Virtanen

To Vancouver: Rasmus Andersson

Both players are around the same age, and have proven similar amounts in the NHL.  The reason for this trade is that Calgary has a lot of depth on defense, currently and prospects.  Virtanen could be a good fit up front for Calgary, plus he was a Calgary Hitmen which doesn't mean a lot but can't hurt.  Andersson is a right hand shot defensemen who fits more of a need for the Canucks.  Both have similar current capabilities, similar ceiling's and similar ages.  It's mostly a positional hockey trade.  Maybe draft picks could be added to equal it out a bit.

TRADE #4
Not sure if they would accept this trade, as they are in win-now mode, but I'd see if Winnipeg is looking for cap space and if they're willing to sell Ehlers.

To Vancouver: Nikolaj Ehlers

To Winnipeg: 10th overall pick, Josh Leivo

This deal gives Winnipeg cap space, as well as a quality high draft pick, in exchange for Ehlers who is young and talented but also hasn't emerged as a truly elite player.  The Canucks hope that pairing his talent with Petterson is a much safer acquisition than a draft pick which may take a few years to develop and also isn't guaranteed to pan out.  Leivo also fits the roster as an affordable young-ish player who can step up.  Ehlers is signed long-term at $6 million so we know what to expect for roster construction going forward.

Re-sign Edler for 2 years at $6-6.5 million a year

Draft (#13 from Florida): Victor Soderstrom 

Ehlers - Petterson - Boeser

Baerstchi/Pearson - Horvat - Gaudette/Goldobin
Baerstchi/Pearson - Dubinsky - Sutter

Roussell - Beagle - Spooner

Edler - Stecher
Hughes - Andersson
Hutton - 

Luongo - Demko

Overall we added Ehlers and Andersson while only moving down three places in the draft.

In response, I'd like to hear you list the four trades, and say if you think the deal is fair, or who won the trade.

lol at loungo coming here in trade you really think lounge would wanna come back here after we traded him I don't think so lol     ericcson to the blue jackets  haha if he thought travis green was hard on him  what the hell do you think torts would do to loui   and you want Dubinsky  back    hell no     no to trading virt to the flames we need his size   and number 4 isn't gonna happen either     this gonna be a long off season 

I like the thinking on the Columbus deal, but I don't think it works out. It's pretty much a foregone conclusion that their big 3 UFAs won't be back, so paying to create more cap space is pretty pointless at this point. Texier also showed really well in the Playoffs, he's worth more than a cap dump now. 

The second trade relates back to the first because Florida is rumoured to be Bobrosvky's UFA destination. I don't think the Panthers would deal a valuable asset in 13th OA knowing they have a chance to sign him. If they don't manage to sign him, then something can be worked out involving their prospects instead as they have a glut of young forwards. 

The third trade is as even as it get's really, but I'd still be wary of trading a hometown player. Calgary is also set on RW with E. Lindholm, Tkachuk and Neal (even if they don't want him).

Fourth trade is even value, but I wouldn't do it. I like Ehlers, he's been proving himself the wrong way in recent Playoffs. 

I like you're line of thinking and your valuations are pretty good, I don't think any of these specific trades work out. They're all pretty close though I'd say with the most questionable one being the first. Good job overall. 

35 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I like the thinking on the Columbus deal, but I don't think it works out. It's pretty much a foregone conclusion that their big 3 UFAs won't be back, so paying to create more cap space is pretty pointless at this point. Texier also showed really well in the Playoffs, he's worth more than a cap dump now. 

The second trade relates back to the first because Florida is rumoured to be Bobrosvky's UFA destination. I don't think the Panthers would deal a valuable asset in 13th OA knowing they have a chance to sign him. If they don't manage to sign him, then something can be worked out involving their prospects instead as they have a glut of young forwards. 

The third trade is as even as it get's really, but I'd still be wary of trading a hometown player. Calgary is also set on RW with E. Lindholm, Tkachuk and Neal (even if they don't want him).

Fourth trade is even value, but I wouldn't do it. I like Ehlers, he's been proving himself the wrong way in recent Playoffs. 

I like you're line of thinking and your valuations are pretty good, I don't think any of these specific trades work out. They're all pretty close though I'd say with the most questionable one being the first. Good job overall. 

Thanks, I'm glad for the most part you think it's fair value.  Your points about Columbus and Florida are totally true if those free agents leave Columbus.  My ideas were based on if Columbus could re-sign at least a couple of them, and needed the cap room, as well as Bobrovsky going to Florida.  Without a doubt, if Bob goes to Florida then these deals don't work.

Tkachuk, Neal and Lindholm are all left wingers, are they not?  Lindholm could be a center.  I think right wing is the weak spot.

I'd be willing to take a shot on Ehlers.  I hear what you're saying about the playoffs, but his talent is good enough that he's worth putting on our top line with Petey and Brock.  A 10th overall is unknown how good he will be

2 minutes ago, underrated said:

Thanks, I'm glad for the most part you think it's fair value.  Your points about Columbus and Florida are totally true if those free agents leave Columbus.  My ideas were based on if Columbus could re-sign at least a couple of them, and needed the cap room, as well as Bobrovsky going to Florida.  Without a doubt, if Bob goes to Florida then these deals don't work.

Tkachuk, Neal and Lindholm are all left wingers, are they not?  Lindholm could be a center.  I think right wing is the weak spot.

I'd be willing to take a shot on Ehlers.  I hear what you're saying about the playoffs, but his talent is good enough that he's worth putting on our top line with Petey and Brock.  A 10th overall is unknown how good he will be

I mean, there's no way we can say exactly what will happen with Duchene, Panarin and Bobrovsky, but everything I've heard suggests that they'll be hitting the open market. It actually sounds like Duchene might be the most likely to stay. Bobrovsky already put his condo up for sale within a week of getting eliminated or something. 

Gaudreau - Monahan - E. Lindholm

Frolik - Backlund - Tkachuk

Bennett - Jankowski - Neal

That's what the Flames have been rolling with more or less. That second line is really effective and they like it a lot, so they're fine with three left handed players on a line. E. Lindholm had a great year on the top line and Neal is someone they're stuck with for better or worse. E. Lindholm and Neal are locked up long term and Tkachuk is about to be.

Teams that could really unload some cap are Vegas (Miller), Pittsburgh (Kessel), Tampa Bay (Callahan), Winnipeg (Kulikov) and Toronto (Zaitsev). It sounds like Kessel is going to be dealt with Johnson, so they will probably be fine depending on the return. I like the idea of picking up Miller for cheap from Vegas. He's a RHD with a good shot that fell out of favour. Getting paid to take on Kulikov would be solid as well. I have ideas and maybe I'll post them later. 

Dubinsky is a serious buyout candidate per CBJ beat writer Portzline.  Benning wants to be aggressive in free agency.  It does't align.  If Benning wants to invest in free agency - it's for the team to take the next step.  He's not going to bring in players that are going to drag the team down in parallel.  

CBJ are not going to give him up Texier for cheap.

Markstrom just had a dud of a performance at the Worlds - gaa of 4.00 and sv% well below .900.  He has mostly been average at best before the Canucks brought in Ian Clark and who knows how he does under another goalie coach given how average he was before.  He is 1 year to free agency and extensions can only be signed come 1 July - the draft is in June.  Florida is a very empty building and not every player likes to play in such an empty building.  Tallon moved Markstrom for a reason and it's doubtful they want him back.

Florida is not going to move Luongo either.  He is very popular there and they already don't bring in a lot of fans.  Tallon also will let Luongo decide what he wants to do and is not going ask him to waive.  There is too much respect there.

Calgary already has Sam Bennett who fights and is meaner than Virtanen.  Doesn't have the speed but is more physical.   They are not going to trade Anderson.  They are apparently going to move TJ Brodie to make room for their young Ds.

Leivo produced at a 0.37 pace in Vancouver while playing top-6 and PP1 with the team's best players.  He would never have a top-6 role in Winnipeg and his numbers are likely to drop even further playing less minutes and with lesser linemates.  His P60 which is measure of scoring efficiency by correlating ice time with production has him as the 12th F (min 40 games) in Winnipeg.  He is getting too many minutes for too little production.  He was drafted in 2011 - 3 years before Ehlers.  They have better options than Leivo to step up.  

The draft is in Vancouver and Benning won't be giving up picks.

Gaudette should be in the AHL to develop.   He was one of the least productive rookies in the league last season while being also one of the oldest - he will turn 23 this year.  DeBoer was just talking about how they developed Timo Meier the right way.  Says he could have been full time in the league earlier but that would have been a mistake.  Says the best thing they did was demote him each time he struggled.  Gaudette struggles a lot.  Laviolette said something similar about Arvidsson.  

Stecher shouldn't be on the top-pairing.  At the Worlds he is the D that plays the least minutes in the more critical games.  Vigneault has him playing less than Fabbro (by a fair bit) and Philippe Myers who have combined 31 NHL games.  It's not going to define him but it's a bit of a reminder that the D-corps needs to be completely revamped if they want to compete.

Teams are moving away from 2 checking lines because they've noticed that 3 scoring lines is far more efficient.  There are better options than 2 skilled players in Baertschi/Spooner to play on a checking line - that's just not their game.  

Archived