Sign in to follow this  
DeltaSwede

[Signing] Oscar Fantenberg signs in the KHL

4 minutes ago, skategal said:

Given the COVID pinch and cap crunch, it's probably easier going into training camp with spots open for the young players to step into if they prove they are ready rather than having to clear spaces by making trades.  I suspect that may be the Canucks management approach, knowing that if they youth demonstrate they aren't ready, it won't be that hard to find a serviceable D that can fill a bottom 6 - 8 role on our team at that point.  

Agreed. We have at least have 5 or 6 defensemen who can compete for the last 1 or 2 spots and there's a point where we need to give these prospects more of a chance than we've been giving in my opinion. Juolevi in particular in my mind needs to be given a fair shot.

I actually kind of hope we don't sign another defenseman. lol

Edited by The Lock

8 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Agreed. We have at least have 5 or 6 defensemen who can compete for the last 1 or 2 spots and there's a point where we need to give these prospects more of a chance than we've been giving in my opinion. Juolevi in particular in my mind needs to be given a fair shot.

I actually kind of hope we don't sign another defenseman. lol

I think Juolevi is likely already penciled in for the 3rd pair LD slot. Benn and Rafferty likely splitting some time on the right (based on the roster now).

If we can manage to sign a Hainsey, Hamonic or similar for that 3RD slot for something around $1m, I think that's a no brainer though. We'll ideally want an additional vet D IMO able to slide up to 2nd pair with injuries etc. Kids will still get their opportunities with injuries. Particularly with what will surely be a compressed schedule.

• Hydration 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

I think Juolevi is likely already penciled in for the 3rd pair LD slot. Benn and Rafferty likely splitting some time on the right (based on the roster now).

If we can manage to sign a Hainsey, Hamonic or similar for that 3RD slot for something around $1m, I think that's a no brainer though. We'll ideally want an additional vet D IMO able to slide up to 2nd pair with injuries etc. Kids will still get their opportunities with injuries. Particularly with what will surely be a compressed schedule.

I can certainly see why for the sake of injuries and, don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be opposed to it. Biggest thing for me is what I said earlier with allowing our prospects to play. If we have these great prospects and don't give them a chance; I guess look at this team in the long run more than just this year. So I look at Hainsey as being great short term, for example... so long as it doesn't prevent a Rafferty or someone like that from being on the team in 2 or 3 years simply because he wasn't given that chance due to competition.

Edited by The Lock
  • Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1