The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is This Core Really That Bad? No, I don't think so.

Rate this topic

HKSR

On 2/26/2022 at 9:01 PM, stawns said:

For whatever reason, they work well together.  You don't need 5 players attacking 5v5........Hughes gets those extra mins on offense on the PP, 4v4 etc.  

I said the exact same thing in pre-season, but I'm happy to eat crow on schenn.

They work well together because Hughes excels when paired with a defence first partner. Tanev was THE PERFECT man for him. Schenn is a less good, cheaper version of him. I don't have a problem with him there, but doesn't change the fact we need someone better. Schenn gets eaten alive repeatedly by speedy forwards. We all witnessed what Kreider was about to do to him. If you want to a playoff team, sure this is fine. If you want to be a legitimate contender, then this is not fine. There's levels to this and we're not near the top yet.

2 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I wish we had Myers at 4 mil/year but it is what it is.  He's helping the team a lot at the moment.  

Hamonic has come back and been solid.  Really looking forward to seeing Hamonic after another 10 games under his belt.  The dude's not had a healthy season in three years now. 

We do need to find a good RHD going into next year.  Tucker Poolman may yet keep on improving as he has good physical attributes but needs more coaching.  He's already 28 but doesn't have many games in the NHL under his belt so I'm hopeful on that end.  

Right now we're firing on all cylinders (minus Poolman, Burroughs, and Dickinson) and the team's looking great! 

If Myers were making anywhere between 3 and 4 mill you wouldn't hear a peep out of me. Hamonic has looked solid and IMO is a very solid 4/5 d-man. Problem is can he be in the lineup consistently enough? He's not getting any younger. Tucker Poolman is who he is. Someone with negative offensive value and average to below average defensive IQ. He's got good size and good speed but he's a bottom pairing d-man. 

I love that we're winning and am enjoying watching the team play, but saying we're firing on all cylinders is fools gold. Demko is firing on all cylinders and he continually masks our massive flaws. This team gives up breakaways and odd man rushes like it's nothing. Our offence is playing well. 

Demko is making our team look way better than they are. The advanced stats show this. The 7-1 win and the 5-2 Rangers win show that we dominated when, infact, we didn't. Demko was just a goddamn brick wall. If you don't believe me, just listen to BB's post game conferences. He repeatedly states how good Demko has been and how the games are wins largely because of him. Management and coaching both know this to be the case.

Edited by luongianone

I'm thinking that teams like EDM and ANA might be getting a little nervous with the Canucks playing so well. Pressure is on them to stay ahead. Lot of hockey left though, so it's possible the Canucks get in. Might even come down to the last game of the season to determine.

I believe the major overhaul will happen in the off season, and they'll continue with the roster they have. They might make a couple of minor moves at the TDL. 

Canucks have Demko and one of the top 3 Ds in the league IMO. If they can beef up the D, they could be very difficult to score on. 

Build around Petey, Podkolzin, Hughes and Demko.  

29 minutes ago, luongianone said:

If Myers were making anywhere between 3 and 4 mill you wouldn't hear a peep out of me. Hamonic has looked solid and IMO is a very solid 4/5 d-man. Problem is can he be in the lineup consistently enough? He's not getting any younger. Tucker Poolman is who he is. Someone with negative offensive value and average to below average defensive IQ. He's got good size and good speed but he's a bottom pairing d-man. 

I love that we're winning and am enjoying watching the team play, but saying we're firing on all cylinders is fools gold. Demko is firing on all cylinders and he continually masks our massive flaws. This team gives up breakaways and odd man rushes like it's nothing. Our offence is playing well. 

Demko is making our team look way better than they are. The advanced stats show this. The 7-1 win and the 5-2 Rangers win show that we dominated when, infact, we didn't. Demko was just a goddamn brick wall. If you don't believe me, just listen to BB's post game conferences. He repeatedly states how good Demko has been and how the games are wins largely because of him. Management and coaching both know this to be the case.

The thing is, for whatever the reason, Luke Schenn is playing like a bonafide Top 4 next to Hughes.  He doesn't look out of place one bit.  That's what is making this all work.

It means Myers is the other Top 4, and Hamonic falls onto a 3rd pairing naturally. 

From what I recall, the Canucks are one of the best defensive teams since Boudreau took over.  That's almost 30 games.  This is no fluke. 

PS - I'd say we dominated 40min against the Flames, and 50min against the NYR.